Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

7 minutes ago, Longcol said:

The NHS is never going to be in Lib Dem hands.

I think everyone realises that.

Not sure what this has to do with Brexit either.

What do pro EU supporters think of the party of the EU - the Liberal Democrats abstaining from protecting our NHS?

5 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

What do pro EU supporters think of the party of the EU - the Liberal Democrats abstaining from protecting our NHS?

How do you see Brexit affecting the NHS?

3 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

The government are obviously not aware what problems of a pre Christmas election will bring because they haven’t asked the electoral commission if it can be done.

But they don't have to. If an election is called all that happens is parliament approve, agree the timescale an the electoral commission then get dragged into it as a matter of law, all part of the act. They monitor election not approve them.

They haven’t even decided how to do it if it were to happen. 

But that does not matter at this stage.

Have elections ever been longer than a day? Why are you repeating this as if it means something?

Because you seem to be suffering from short term memory loss and were making out it would cause major disruption to the school curriculum to close a school for a day!

Our democracy is a representative one and not a delegated one as you want it to be. Until you understand the difference then you have no right to say how undemocratic our implementation is, because as it stands, it is working exactly as intended. 

Who said otherwise? Point out where I have stated that it is delegated and where I have stated it it is undemocratic.

So my additional £3k a year holiday supplement on top of paid holidays due to the strengthening of workers’ rights is imaginary is it? The EU working time directive where no employer can force you to work above 48hrs a week is imaginary is it?

You do realise that that although an employer cannot force employees to do more than 48 hours PW your employer can also ask you to opt out and work more hours if both parties agree. You may not get a job if you don't agree to that either as all a potential employer has to do is to ask if the potential employee is prepared to work more that 48 hours a week and by doing so filter any candidates.

Edited by apelike

5 hours ago, apelike said:

You  missed out the possibility of another leave win!

That is highly unlikely given that Remain is now somewhere between 6 and 10 points ahead of Leave, most Remainers who didn’t vote in 2016 will definitely vote in another referendum and a number of Leave voters will refuse to partake in another referendum.

Strathclyde University’s John Curtice, the ‘polling guru’ said earlier this year that it isn’t outside the realm of possibility that in another referendum, Remain could win with 65-70% of the vote.

Brexiteers reluctance over another referendum has nothing to do with democracy and everything to do with knowing that they got lucky in 2016 and fluked it.

4 hours ago, apelike said:

But they don't have to. If an election is called all that happens is parliament approve, agree the timescale an the electoral commission then get dragged into it as a matter of law, all part of the act. They monitor election not approve them.

But that does not matter at this stage.

Because you seem to be suffering from short term memory loss and were making out it would cause major disruption to the school curriculum to close a school for a day!

Who said otherwise? Point out where I have stated that it is delegated and where I have stated it it is undemocratic.

You do realise that that although an employer cannot force employees to do more than 48 hours PW your employer can also ask you to opt out and work more hours if both parties agree. You may not get a job if you don't agree to that either as all a potential employer has to do is to ask if the potential employee is prepared to work more that 48 hours a week and by doing so filter any candidates.

Who do you think implements the practicalities of an election? It isn’t the government, it is the electoral commission. If the electoral commission says it cannot be carried out because they don’t have enough polling stations then it will not be. 

I never said that the disruption of the school curriculum was the primary concern in taking over a school. Just join the dots here, it’s a school and it’s Christmas. 

I personally know about the opt out. I use it myself and because of it I sit nicely in the top 5% of earners. The point is that it is there and is used for workers’ protection. 

Edit: forgot to mention, yes you do not understand democracy when you continuously bang on about the MPs not carrying out the “will of the people”. MPs do not have to, there is no such mandate, the “will of the people” is not delegated to them to implement. 

Edited by Albert the Cat

The EU has never protected us from privatisation. FACT.

Wealthy Southerners - don't cancel the Brexit votes of poor Northerners.

Let's get Brexit done then we can all sit down with a nice cuppa. 

Edited by Car Boot

5 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

That is highly unlikely given that Remain is now somewhere between 6 and 10 points ahead of Leave, most Remainers who didn’t vote in 2016 will definitely vote in another referendum and a number of Leave voters will refuse to partake in another referendum.

Strathclyde University’s John Curtice, the ‘polling guru’ said earlier this year that it isn’t outside the realm of possibility that in another referendum, Remain could win with 65-70% of the vote.

Brexiteers reluctance over another referendum has nothing to do with democracy and everything to do with knowing that they got lucky in 2016 and fluked it.

Those wishing for our country to leave the EU took the only democratic chance they believed they would have and voted with their feet. It was no fluke that over one million more UK people voted to leave than remain.  Leave voters reluctance to have another referendum has every to do with democracy because so far they have been cheated out of their democratic wish to leave the EU.  The undemocratic people wishing to overturn the  result of the 2016 EU Referendum result want to choose the questions on the ballot paper that don't include no-deal which is the legal default position.  The new Withdrawal Agreement deal  is a compromise and only has any justification for being on a referendum ballot paper if the other option is no-deal.

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

Those wishing for our country to leave the EU took the only democratic chance they believed they would have and voted with their feet. It was no fluke that over one million more UK people voted to leave than remain.  Leave voters reluctance to have another referendum has every to do with democracy because so far they have been cheated out of their democratic wish to leave the EU.  The undemocratic people wishing to overturn the  result of the 2016 EU Referendum result want to choose the questions on the ballot paper that don't include no-deal which is the legal default position.  The new Withdrawal Agreement deal  is a compromise and only has any justification for being on a referendum ballot paper if the other option is no-deal.

Putting a no deal choice on a Brexit referendum ballot would be illegal under current UK law (European Union (withdrawal) (no.2) Act 2019, aka the Benn Act).

Until and unless that UK law is changed (amended/repealed) your argument is redundant.

/mic drop, next point.

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

The EU has never protected us from privatisation. FACT.

Wealthy Southerners - don't cancel the Brexit votes of poor Northerners.

Let's get Brexit done then we can all sit down with a nice cuppa. 

What about poor southerners?

And I'm not waiting 7 years for brexit to be done (cos that's how long it will take) for a brew, I'm gasping.

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

The motion would have made absolutely no difference in protecting the NHS from privatisation.

https://fullfact.org/health/liberal-democrat-nhs-privatisation/

The NHS will  never be privatised because any party who did would never get power again and they all know it.

59 minutes ago, L00b said:

Putting a no deal choice on a Brexit referendum ballot would be illegal under current UK law (European Union (withdrawal) (no.2) Act 2019, aka the Benn Act).

Until and unless that UK law is changed (amended/repealed) your argument is redundant.

/mic drop, next point.

I'm not arguing for another referendum or for no-deal to be on any referendum ballot paper.  There is no justification for Remain to be on any referendum ballot paper because that option was rejected by our democratic people in 2016. However, if a referendum took place on how our country is going to leave the EU then there would be no justification for no-deal not to be on the ballot paper. Just to make my position perfectly clear I don't support any new referendum because I respect the result of the democratic 2016 EU Referendum and support that result to be implemented either with the new Withdrawal Agreement on offer or by way of  no-deal which is the default legal position  as a consequence of Parliament overwhelmingly voting to trigger Article 50 before the 2017 General Election.

Regarding the Benn Act  surely that act ceases to apply after the EU make their decision about whether to extend Article 50 beyond 31st October.

Edited by Lockdoctor

8 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

So with that astounding bit of information why the reluctance of St Jeremy to confirm the Tory plan for another General Election. The remainers MUST KNOW if St Jeremy is returned to office, a second referendum could be called, their problems are solved. 

Brexit needs sorting, lets have the GE asap, looks like Labour is nailed on to win. 🤣

Angel1.