Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

34 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

You're being beyond ridiculous by comparing and giving equal importance to opinions polls conducted the day before and the day after 23rd June 2016 when over 35 million voters turned out to physically place a tick in a box on a ballot paper.  

It wouldn't have been if Remain had won.

It still would have caused division. Look at the state of the country.

51 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

It still would have caused division. Look at the state of the country.

If Remain had won most of the  millions who voted to leave would have  got over their disappointment on 24th  June 2016.  The problem with Leave winning is that the result couldn't be implemented on 24th June 2016  like a Remain victory would have been.  The division in our country has been caused by people like you who have never respected the democratic EU referendum result.  No doubt people like Nigel Farage would still have campaigned to leave the EU if Remain had won. but there certainly wouldn't have been the same amount of division in our country as there is today.  

24 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

If Remain had won most of the  millions who voted to leave would have  got over their disappointment on 24th  June 2016.  The problem with Leave winning is that the result couldn't be implemented on 24th June 2016  like a Remain victory would have been.  The division in our country has been caused by people like you who have never respected the democratic EU referendum result.  No doubt people like Nigel Farage would still have campaigned to leave the EU if Remain had won. but there certainly wouldn't have been the same amount of division in our country as there is today.  

There was not such a great division in the country prior to Cameron bowing to the loony right of his party and fearing the loss of votes to Farage supporters.

It just wasn’t a burning issue .

There are many democratic decisions that we have to accept as reality but may conflict with our own beliefs.

Unlike you I do not change my opinions because it goes against the current flow.

I believed the referendum result was achieved largely on whipping up an anti immigration issue and I believe it will have a negative impact on our society in any number of ways .

Where are the positives?

35 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

No doubt people like Nigel Farage would still have campaigned to leave the EU if Remain had won. but there certainly wouldn't have been the same amount of division in our country as there is today.  

An excellent reason among many to have voted Remain.

2 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Which takes me back to the question I asked before. How should big decisions be decided? 

TCH - Any thoughts on the above?

54 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

What a load of old flannel. You won and they still haven't shut up. "oooo I don't want to leave this way I but I don't want leave the other way either I want to leave the other way".

And if you don't explain how I've failed to respect the referendum result I fully expect you to edit your post.

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

Wow - you must have a magic crystal ball - what are tonight's lottery numbers?

Or are you just making wild statements with no facts behind them?

28 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

TCH - Any thoughts on the above?

I thought that I’d already answered that by saying that we have an elected Parliament to decide things.

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I thought that I’d already answered that by saying that we have an elected Parliament to decide things.

And I gave an example explaining why that doesn't always make the best method of deciding things, so wondered what you thought of that..

I'll put it another way.

The 2016 referendum never happened, and there is still a lot of anti-EU sentiment in the UK. Someone forms The Brexit Party, and they write in their manifesto that if they win the election they will take the UK out of the EU. They go onto win the next general election, with 36% of the national vote. They have a majority of MPs in Parliament. 

Is that method of the UK leaving the EU a fairer way than through a referendum vote? 

21 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

And I gave an example explaining why that doesn't always make the best method of deciding things, so wondered what you thought of that..

I'll put it another way.

The 2016 referendum never happened, and there is still a lot of anti-EU sentiment in the UK. Someone forms The Brexit Party, and they write in their manifesto that if they win the election they will take the UK out of the EU. They go onto win the next general election, with 36% of the national vote. They have a majority of MPs in Parliament. 

Is that method of the UK leaving the EU a fairer way than through a referendum vote? 

To a degree, yes. If they’ve set their stall out and were honest (ha!) in campaigning. At a more local level, thatcher caused absolute destruction in the heavy industries in this country and I’d bet not one single miner, shipbuilder etc voted for her in 1983 but she told the electorate what her plans were and did them. If you lived in the south east or were fairly affluent in the 80s, you might have been alright - and that’s why thatcher won 3 elections with nice majorities. Yet swathes of the country had the heart ripped out of them and ironically they all voted leave as they still haven’t really recovered.

Was it more or less fair than a single half arsed referendum? Probably not but has more checks and balances, and more accountability. Leaving the EU is too complicated an issue to vote on with a referendum.

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

To a degree, yes. If they’ve set their stall out and were honest (ha!) in campaigning. At a more local level, thatcher caused absolute destruction in the heavy industries in this country and I’d bet not one single miner, shipbuilder etc voted for her in 1983 but she told the electorate what her plans were and did them. If you lived in the south east or were fairly affluent in the 80s, you might have been alright - and that’s why thatcher won 3 elections with nice majorities. Yet swathes of the country had the heart ripped out of them and ironically they all voted leave as they still haven’t really recovered.

Was it more or less fair than a single half arsed referendum? Probably not but has more checks and balances, and more accountability. Leaving the EU is too complicated an issue to vote on with a referendum.

So something happening as a result of a vote where 36% of voters agree is fairer than happening after a vote where 52% of voters agree? Huh. 

33 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

So something happening as a result of a vote where 36% of voters agree is fairer than happening after a vote where 52% of voters agree? Huh. 

Youre either making an argument for holding a referendum on major decisions (hows that working out so far) or electoral reform.