Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

5 minutes ago, apelike said:

like a lot of monetary problems blamed on brexit it is the financial markets that are causing the problems.

Markets respond to events rather than the other way round.

From the night of the referendum until today, every time Brexit looks more likely, Sterling falls in value. Every time Brexit looks less likely, Sterling rallies. The greatest factor currently influencing the value of Sterling is Brexit.

4 hours ago, L00b said:

So why do you then ask "what's the relevance to Brexit, of the fact that the NCA is still investigating Banks?" 

But you are now misquoting me as well as I didnt ask that..

To give the proper quote I said: "And that has what to do with brexit, the referendum or the Electoral Commission report which was being discussed?"

You are the one making out that the NCA are still investigating Banks when on the very quote you give it states:

“There have also been media reports alleging that Mr Banks has been involved in other criminality related to business dealings overseas. The NCA neither confirms nor denies that it is investigating these reports."

9 minutes ago, apelike said:

It not me being naive but just poor and unfit business practice/business model in the modern world given the evidence of their past financial history. Brexit may have had a small effect hence the "hardly" bit but no way did it have a significant effect. If you look at how quick they collapsed their financial bond (maturing in 2022) was trading fine in 2018 despite brexit at 100 cents on the Euro. When financial troubles were announced it went down from 8.5 cents at the end of last week to 0.5 cents after it announced closure. According to the FT the bond was the most actively traded security on the European secondary market and like a lot of monetary problems blamed on brexit it is the financial markets that are causing the problems.

And what is one of the major factors causing problems for the financial markets?

Clue - 6 letters - begins with b, ends in t.

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Markets respond to events rather than the other way round.

From the night of the referendum until today, every time Brexit looks more likely, Sterling falls in value. Every time Brexit looks less likely, Sterling rallies. The greatest factor currently influencing the value of Sterling is Brexit.

Cant disagree with that but in 2018 TC were trading fine despite brexit, and that's my point.

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

And what is one of the major factors causing problems for the financial markets?

Clue - 6 letters - begins with b, ends in t.

See above.... ;)

Edited by apelike

3 minutes ago, apelike said:

Cant disagree with that but in 2018 TC were trading fine despite brexit, and that's my point.

In 2018 there was no real hint of no deal - in 2019 it became a distinct possibility. Hence - difficulties for financial markets.

6 minutes ago, Longcol said:

In 2018 there was no real hint of no deal - in 2019 it became a distinct possibility. Hence - difficulties for financial markets.

It was discussed in parliament in 2017 and after with some MP's and Labour wanting to force amendments to stop a no-deal so even back then it was discussed as a possibility.

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

I think you're right about the majority of MPs, but about 5 or 6  years ago there was a now notorious incident during a debate about poverty and food banks where MPs from across the house were talking about their constituents experiences of real hardship, and a small group of Tory MPs were openly laughing in the chamber at what they heard. Other MPs, and even the Speaker rebuked them.

Those MPs should've been named and shamed.

Prolly the ones that want a full no deal and sod the consequences

14 minutes ago, apelike said:

It was discussed in parliament in 2017 and after with some MP's and Labour wanting to force amendments to stop a no-deal so even back then it was discussed as a possibility.

There is a very big difference between it being discussed as a remote possibility that everyone wanted to avoid in 2017, and it being discussed as very likely and indeed a desirable  option in 2019, especially under a Prime Minister who was elected leader of his party for one reason only and that was because he promised his party that he would leave the EU by October 31st whatever.

36 minutes ago, apelike said:

But you are now misquoting me as well as I didnt ask that..

To give the proper quote I said: "And that has what to do with brexit, the referendum or the Electoral Commission report which was being discussed?"

You are the one making out that the NCA are still investigating Banks when on the very quote you give it states:

“There have also been media reports alleging that Mr Banks has been involved in other criminality related to business dealings overseas. The NCA neither confirms nor denies that it is investigating these reports."

I didn't misquote you, I paraphrased your post.

Are you claiming that, in reply to-

"There have also been media reports alleging that Mr Banks has been involved in other criminality related to business dealings overseas. The NCA neither confirms nor denies that it is investigating these reports."

there is a difference of meaning and context between your-

And that has what to do with brexit, the referendum or the Electoral Commission report which was being discussed?

and my paraphrasing it as-

What's the relevance to Brexit, of the fact that the NCA is still investigating Banks?

?

Perhaps you need an explainer about the 'nor denies' bit of the NCA statement and, to come full circle, a refresher about the intermediary role played by Mr Banks (and associates) between parties with a vested interest in seeing Leave win the 2016 referendum? 

A finding of 'no criminal act' in an electoral context does not exclude a finding of criminal act(s) outside that electoral context, such as financial fraud, money laundering, and many other types of illegal white collar practices.

That was the point made in #1789, which you saw fit to take issue with. No need to explain why you did that, and why you're desperate to distract from it now. That's my last on this, keep twisting all you want.

Edited by L00b

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

There is a very big difference between it being discussed as a remote possibility that everyone wanted to avoid in 2017, and it being discussed as very likely and indeed a desirable  option in 2019, especially under a Prime Minister who was elected leader of his party for one reason only and that was because he promised his party that he would leave the EU by October 31st whatever.

Correct - even the ERG didn't publish their "no deal" manifesto until well into 2019.

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

And that has what to do with brexit, the referendum or the Electoral Commission report which was being discussed?

and my paraphrasing it as-

What's the relevance to Brexit, of the fact that the NCA is still investigating Banks?

But the fact is the NCA are not investigating Banks and that is my point. Unless you can provide details to the contrary.

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

A finding of 'no criminal act' in an electoral context does not exclude a finding of criminal act(s) outside that electoral context, such as financial fraud, money laundering, and many other types of illegal white collar practices.

I know but until details emerge of any criminal investigations or proceeding due to the above then its just all hearsay and not a fact!