Jump to content

Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Groose

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Groose

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, L00b said:

Which of those other parties was campaigning on exiting the EU? That's right, none.

That is true but as in my previous post all parties have included the option for an EU referendum in their manifestos since 2000.

 

3 minutes ago, L00b said:

 

And yet a year later, we had the 2015  Referendum Act voted through, setting out the 2016 referendum, by the Tories (plus votes from MPs of the other parties, lest we forget), who had got 17 more MEP seats than UKIP at that 2014 EU elections.

 

If the Tories hadn't been frightened of UKIP, you'd have never had an EU referendum.

Again very true, what people dont seem to be understanding is that this mess from a referendum is because of politics.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

You're arguing for no reason. 

 

All I corrected you on was your claim that nobody was demanding an EU referendum. 4.4m people is not 'nobody'. 

I acknowledged a 6% polling rate of people concerned about the UK's membership of the EU in 2014 in my first post (#1625).

 

As it happens, the 4m UKIP vote in 2014 corresponds quasi-identically to 6% (6.7) of a 60m population in the UK. 

 

Who's arguing for no reason here? :rolleyes:

 

So you don't like me saying 'noone' instead of 6%. Woop-de-f-doo. Or does 6% somehow make a case for an generating act of parliament and then holding the non-binding result as validly trumping your constitutional arrangements, in your Brexit-fevered mind?

Edited by L00b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, L00b said:

I acknowledged a 6% polling rate of people concerned about the UK's membership of the EU in 2014 in my first post (#1625).

 

As it happens, the 4m UKIP vote in 2014 corresponds quasi-identically to 6% (6.7) of a 60m population in the UK. 

 

Who's arguing for no reason here? :rolleyes:

 

So you don't like me saying 'noone' instead of 6%. Woop-de-f-doo. Or does 6% somehow make a case for an generating act of parliament and then holding the non-binding result as validly trumping your constitutional arrangements, in your Brexit-fevered mind?

Haha give it a rest! I voted remain, I'm anything but 'Brexit-fevered'.  

 

I note that it is a well trod tactic of certain people on here to try and suggest that the results of any democratic vote should be worked out as a percentage of the population, rather than the percentage of the people of voting. This is obviously a way of trying to minimise the figure, thus making the result seem illegitimate and more easily dismissible. That's not how votes work. Interesting too that people only do that when the result of the vote is something that they disagree with.. only 31% of the population voted to stay in the EC in the 1975 referendum. Only 23% of the population voted Labour in the 1997 Blair landslide... 

 

Yes, I have a problem with you saying no-one, when 26.6% of the voting population was demanding a referendum. 

Edited by Robin-H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Haha give it a rest! I voted remain, I'm anything but 'Brexit-fevered'.

Further evidence that if you don't agree with certain posters you are labelled a brexiteer.

 

I seriously hope that these self labelled intelligent remainer posters don't discuss things in person like they do on here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

I note that it is a well trod tactic of certain people on here to try and suggest that the results of any democratic vote should be worked out as a percentage of the population, rather than the percentage of the people of voting. This is obviously a way of trying to minimise the figure, thus making the result seem illegitimate and more easily dismissible.

Me bold... You will also notice that a common tactic is also to use the phrase "non-binding result" for the same reason despite the fact that the result was accepted by the government and parliament, and that referendums are always non-binding unless stated otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apelike said:

Me bold... You will also notice that a common tactic is also to use the phrase "non-binding result" for the same reason despite the fact that the result was accepted by the government and parliament, and that referendums are always non-binding unless stated otherwise.

It was none binding, the issue is the government enacted on it straight away without a plan or looking at the possible benefits against the possible consequences which sensible would do. If it doesn't look like its in the countries best interest then you ignore it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, melthebell said:

It was none binding, the issue is the government enacted on it straight away without a plan or looking at the possible benefits against the possible consequences which sensible would do. If it doesn't look like its in the countries best interest then you ignore it

It wasn't exactly straight away.

 

The referendum was in June 2016. Article 50 was triggered in March 2017. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

It wasn't exactly straight away.

 

The referendum was in June 2016. Article 50 was triggered in March 2017. 

Do you think the government had a clear plan of what they wanted to achieve in March 2017 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

It wasn't exactly straight away.

 

The referendum was in June 2016. Article 50 was triggered in March 2017. 

but they didnt think about it sufficiently and put a plan in place, they still jumped in feet first

Edited by melthebell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Do you think the government had a clear plan of what they wanted to achieve in March 2017 ?

I think the government knew what they wanted to achieve yes. The problem was the EU could not begin the negotiations until Article 50 was triggered, and until then we didn't know the EU's position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

I think the government knew what they wanted to achieve yes. 

Perhaps they shouldn't have sent David Davies - IIRC his "gambit" was to ask the EU what they were going to give the UK - hardly "knowing what they wanted to achieve".

 

Bit like May's continued "Brexit means Brexit" - as clear as mud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Haha give it a rest! I voted remain, I'm anything but 'Brexit-fevered'.  

 

I note that it is a well trod tactic of certain people on here to try and suggest that the results of any democratic vote should be worked out as a percentage of the population, rather than the percentage of the people of voting. This is obviously a way of trying to minimise the figure, thus making the result seem illegitimate and more easily dismissible. That's not how votes work. Interesting too that people only do that when the result of the vote is something that they disagree with.. only 31% of the population voted to stay in the EC in the 1975 referendum. Only 23% of the population voted Labour in the 1997 Blair landslide... 

 

Yes, I have a problem with you saying no-one, when 26.6% of the voting population was demanding a referendum. 

Wow, a rare common sense post, Congratulations, even if you are a remainer.

 

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.