Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

6 hours ago, Longcol said:

Is Trump exporting kids next?

Bloody auto spelling thingy.  The sooner we get Huawei the better. 😁

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Just watched President of the EU Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, being interviewed on the BBC. 

She had a distinct conciliatory tone & said that she wanted the EU to be the best partner & friend that the UK could possibly want & that there are many areas where we share common ground & many areas will remain the same. 

Appears the penny / cent has finally dropped & our European friends have realised we're off. 

On a side note, Ms von der Leyen does appear to be a breath of fresh air compared to the arrogant Juncker. 

Confirmation bias looks to be getting the better of you there, I'm afraid.

Von der Leyden doesn't negotiate with the UK. Barnier does. And his proposed approach (association agreement first, trade bits next) runs counter to Johnson's. That approach is, beside other things, exactly because that particular penny you're on about, dropped 3 years ago. Johnson's every card has long been known, weighed and measured.

10 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I read something interesting today, which I must verify. You know those WTO terms you brexit chaps are so fond of? Those terms state you can’t put country on origin on anything. On top of that, how do you know where your restaurant or takeaway is buying British? And to top that off, how do know that farmer Giles down road isn’t legally adopting US farming/food standards? 

Where did you read that? 

There was a WTO dispute in the US about some specific elements of country of origin labelling on some products but I do not believe WTO terms state you cannot put country of origin on anything? 

12 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Of course you could still go out & buy your poultry from a shop or supermarket that will be supporting British farmers, so you can be rest assured that they have been raised to British standards & killed humanly. 

You'll also be supporting British industry as well.  Why not buy direct from a British farmer? 

Of course you can fret your life away seeking out US chlorinated children & worry about the health consequences.  It's your choice as a consumer where you buy your goods. 

We should not have to check labels ourselves and verify the food reaches safety standards - if the US can't produce to our safety standards then it should stay out.

22 minutes ago, nightrider said:

We should not have to check labels ourselves and verify the food reaches safety standards - if the US can't produce to our safety standards then it should stay out.

Food safety standards in the US seem to be higher than the UK. 

https://foodsecurityindex.eiu.com/Index

(US 4th for safety and quality whereas the UK is 18th) 

1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

Where did you read that? 

There was a WTO dispute in the US about some specific elements of country of origin labelling on some products but I do not believe WTO terms state you cannot put country of origin on anything? 

They haven't banned countries from voluntarily putting country of origin labels (COOL) on products (where a country's products have a high reputation there would be an advantage in doing so). It does come quite close to banning countries imposing mandatory COOL on imported products. Whether it bans all mandatory COOL is vague as the dispute dealt with meat produced in Canada and Mexico and processed in the US. If US meat was imported as carcases into the UK and processed (which may be as little as defrosting the carcass and cutting it into portions) here would that make it ineligible for mandatory COOL?

Some links that explain it in less than lawyer speak:

WTO shoots down US meat-labeling rule

The WTO Ruling on U.S. Country of Origin Labeling (“COOL”)

5 hours ago, nightrider said:

The US has better food safety standards than almost all of the EU, including France and Germany.

How is food safety in Bulgaria, Latvia and Romania?

17 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I read something interesting today, which I must verify. You know those WTO terms you brexit chaps are so fond of? Those terms state you can’t put country on origin on anything. On top of that, how do you know where your restaurant or takeaway is buying British? And to top that off, how do know that farmer Giles down road isn’t legally adopting US farming/food standards? 

We already trade under WTO. We already put country of origin on WTO food exports.

Can the EU survive without one member, the UK? Undoubtedly, yes.

But can it thrive? I don't think so. 

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

Can the EU survive without one member, the UK? Undoubtedly, yes.

But can it thrive? I don't think so. 

Can Britain survive outside of one of the biggest trading blocs in the world? Undoubtedly, yes.

But can it thrive?

Can't wait for tomorrow when all the hospitals will have load more money for beds, there will be international food galore and the pound will soar against every other currency in the world.

After all, that's what we were promised.

I'll be so disappointed if it doesn't happen, after all, we'll have taken back control, won't we?

(apart from in those parts of the United Kingdom and overseas territories that the government has abandoned (Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Gibraltar))

31 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Can't wait for tomorrow when all the hospitals will have load more money for beds, there will be international food galore and the pound will soar against every other currency in the world.

After all, that's what we were promised.

I'll be so disappointed if it doesn't happen, after all, we'll have taken back control, won't we?

(apart from in those parts of the United Kingdom and overseas territories that the government has abandoned (Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Gibraltar))

Let's get Brexit done, then we can all sit down together and have a nice cuppa.