Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

From the gov website

Buying duty-free from 1 January 2021

Some rules will temporarily change. You’ll be able to buy duty-free tobacco and alcohol when you’re travelling to the EU:

from ports, airports and international train stations in the UK

on board ships, planes and trains from the UK

This guidance does not apply to bringing goods from Northern Ireland to Ireland.

Love that last line...

Out means out, except when it doesn't.

Bye bye Gibraltar!

3 hours ago, taxman said:

Mmmmmm....chlorinated.....Mmmmmm

I don't really understand the issue with chlorinated chicken. 

I think the reason why people are opposed to it is due to animal welfare issues, rather than health issues. There is absolutely nothing problematic health wise or tastewise with  chlorinated chicken, but it can be used to kill off things such as salmonella so that they can get away with overcrowded conditions. 

I think it's odd that people bring this up as a reason why we shouldn't have a trade deal with the US if it results in chlorinated chicken being sold in the UK, as if animal welfare was their reasoning, surely they wouldn't want us to trade with the EU either? Foie gras anyone.. 

15 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

I don't really understand the issue with chlorinated chicken. 

I think the reason why people are opposed to it is due to animal welfare issues, rather than health issues. There is absolutely nothing problematic health wise or tastewise with  chlorinated chicken, but it can be used to kill off things such as salmonella so that they can get away with overcrowded conditions.

You ought to read this is you think that's the case.

But the academics point to research published last year which found washing food in bleach does not kill many of the pathogens that cause food poisoning. Instead, it sends them into a “viable but non-culturable state”, which means they are not picked up in standard tests, which take a sample of the food and try to culture any germs on it.

The presence of the pathogens is thus masked by the bleach, but they are still dangerous to human health.

6 minutes ago, altus said:

You ought to read this is you think that's the case.

Then I would expect cases of salmonella and listeria to be much higher in the USA than in the UK. 

Is this the case? 

12 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Then I would expect cases of salmonella and listeria to be much higher in the USA than in the UK. 

Is this the case? 

They don't seem short of them.

https://www.fda.gov/food/recalls-outbreaks-emergencies/outbreaks-foodborne-illness#investigations

Perhaps there are a greater number of unrecorded cases in the USA as well given a significant number of citizens don't have any health insurance - the same people who are perhaps more likely to eat dodgy food?

Edited by Longcol

23 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Is this the case? 

The US FDA figures show 14.7 % of the US population suffer from food-boune illness each year. UK FSA figures are 1.5% per year. A direct comparison of the figures is difficult because of different methodologies. In addition, people in both countries tend not to go to the doctor with food poisoning and given that doing so in the US will cost money they are likely to have even more under-reporting than the UK.

3 minutes ago, altus said:

The US FDA figures show 14.7 % of the US population suffer from food-boune illness each year. UK FSA figures are 1.5% per year. A direct comparison of the figures is difficult because of different methodologies. In addition, people in both countries tend not to go to the doctor with food poisoning and given that doing so in the US will cost money they are likely to have even more under-reporting than the UK.

https://fullfact.org/health/food-poisoning-US-UK/

As you said, they use different methodologies, and so a comparison is very difficult. 

With that in mind, this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47440562 links to research by the WHO that estimated food borne diseases, and suggested the USA does indeed have higher incidence of salmonella, whereas the UK has higher rates of campylobacter. I'm not sure which is worse. 

34 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

https://fullfact.org/health/food-poisoning-US-UK/

As you said, they use different methodologies, and so a comparison is very difficult. 

With that in mind, this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47440562 links to research by the WHO that estimated food borne diseases, and suggested the USA does indeed have higher incidence of salmonella, whereas the UK has higher rates of campylobacter. I'm not sure which is worse. 

its not about which is worse, the point is we have voted for a possible rise in salmonella....for no real benefit apart from the lies and sloganeering

Of course you could still go out & buy your poultry from a shop or supermarket that will be supporting British farmers, so you can be rest assured that they have been raised to British standards & killed humanly. 

You'll also be supporting British industry as well.  Why not buy direct from a British farmer? 

Of course you can fret your life away seeking out US chlorinated children & worry about the health consequences.  It's your choice as a consumer where you buy your goods. 

12 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Of course you could still go out & buy your poultry from a shop or supermarket that will be supporting British farmers, so you can be rest assured that they have been raised to British standards & killed humanly. 

You'll also be supporting British industry as well.  Why not buy direct from a British farmer? 

Of course you can fret your life away seeking out US chlorinated children & worry about the health consequences.  It's your choice as a consumer where you buy your goods. 

Is Trump exporting kids next?

25 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I read something interesting today, which I must verify. You know those WTO terms you brexit chaps are so fond of? Those terms state you can’t put country on origin on anything. On top of that, how do you know where your restaurant or takeaway is buying British? And to top that off, how do know that farmer Giles down road isn’t legally adopting US farming/food standards? 

Just watched President of the EU Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, being interviewed on the BBC. 

She had a distinct conciliatory tone & said that she wanted the EU to be the best partner & friend that the UK could possibly want & that there are many areas where we share common ground & many areas will remain the same. 

Appears the penny / cent has finally dropped & our European friends have realised we're off. 

On a side note, Ms von der Leyen does appear to be a breath of fresh air compared to the arrogant Juncker.