Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

23 hours ago, Robin-H said:

You mean like France? Oh no, wait... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51192369

"France has agreed to delay collecting a new tax on multinational technology firms until the end of 2020, a French government official has told the BBC. The digital services tax has provoked an angry response from Washington. The US had threatened to impose retaliatory tariffs on $2.4bn (£1.8bn) of French goods, including champagne and cheese, after the tax was passed in July 2019" 

Well it's not like they've given up on the idea:

France, along with several other European countries, pushed ahead with its own digital sales tax while it waited for a multilateral agreement about how such firms should be taxed to be drawn up by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

If the OECD reaches a deal by the end of 2020, then France's unilateral tax will not be applied at all. If there is no multilateral agreement by then France will collect the two tranches of the tax.

Meanwhile: EU tech regulator backs UK plans for digital tax, despite Trump threats. So it's all part of an international effort to get agreement on such taxes.

23 minutes ago, altus said:

Well it's not like they've given up on the idea:

Meanwhile: EU tech regulator backs UK plans for digital tax, despite Trump threats. So it's all part of an international effort to get agreement on such taxes.

Albert the Cat heavily implied in post #4372 that because the US was threatening retaliation for introducing taxes on (mainly American) digital companies such as Google, Amazon etc, then we would be much better off still being part of the EU as we would have added clout in negotiating such matters as a larger block. 

The reality of the matter doesn't correlate with that view at all. 

The EU was hoping to introduce such a tax in 2018, however it was opposed by countries including Ireland, the Czech Republic, Sweden and Finland. EU tax reforms need the backing of all member states to become law, and so they could not introduce such a tax. 

France initially said they were going to push ahead and introduce the law anyway, but have now delayed collecting such a tax until the end of this year due to the threat of retaliatory measures from the US. 

This isn't an argument for the UK leaving the EU, as even as a member state I presume we could have introduced the tax anyway as France was going to do, but it also is not an argument against us leaving the EU either...  

Edited by Robin-H

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Hoorah. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-51221727/brexit-bill-receives-royal-assent

I think we can now put this thread to bed & move on to a post Brexit thread? 

Have you actually read the Withdrawal Act 2020?

This Act repeals the repeal, which was the 2018 Act that was supposed to repeal the European Communities Act 1972. Do you know what that means?

We have to follow all EU legislation during the transition period AND accept new ones while having no representation in the EU. 

Well played......

24 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

We have to follow all EU legislation during the transition period AND accept new ones while having no representation in the EU. 

Me bolded...  What new EU bits of legislation do you see coming into play that we will have to accept during that transition period?

Edited by apelike

5 minutes ago, apelike said:

Me bolded...  What new EU bits of legislation do you see coming into play that we will have to accept during that transition period?

A little out of date now, but you can find a list of the 182 proposed rules subject to discussion by the EU during the (original) transition phase here.. 

https://www.peoples-vote.uk/brexit_transition_means_britain_to_lose_all_influence_on_182_new_eu_rules

A related question is how many of the decisions regarding those matters would the UK disagree with, and how much of a difference will it make waiting until Dec 2021 to repeal any of the laws the UK doesn't like.. 

1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

A little out of date now, but you can find a list of the 182 proposed rules subject to discussion by the EU during the (original) transition phase here.. 

https://www.peoples-vote.uk/brexit_transition_means_britain_to_lose_all_influence_on_182_new_eu_rules

It would be handy if that list also included the relevant data to back up the claims as at the moment it is just a peoples-vote list that is now out of date. As said what would be interesting would be a list of what rules are set to be introduced before Dec 2021. 

A related question is how many of the decisions regarding those matters would the UK disagree with, and how much of a difference will it make waiting until Dec 2021 to repeal any of the laws the UK doesn't like.. 

Who knows? As it stands any decisions under discussion by EU members are just that, under discussion. Given the nature of how long any decisions get to become incorporated into EU law its highly unlikely for any of those above to be implemented during that transition period.

11 hours ago, apelike said:

It would be handy if that list also included the relevant data to back up the claims as at the moment it is just a peoples-vote list that is now out of date. As said what would be interesting would be a list of what rules are set to be introduced before Dec 2021. 

Who knows? As it stands any decisions under discussion by EU members are just that, under discussion. Given the nature of how long any decisions get to become incorporated into EU law its highly unlikely for any of those above to be implemented during that transition period.

How long does it take for decisions to get incorporated in the EU law, typically? 

How long does it take for decisions to get incorporated in the EU law, typically? 

Once agreed upon by all member states they usually take around 2 years to become incorporated into domestic law by those members.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Once agreed upon by all member states they usually take around 2 years to become incorporated into domestic law by those members.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that, as it depends what it meant by 'decisions'. 

https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-making-process/applying-eu-law_en

Regulations and decisions become binding automatically throughout the EU on the date they enter into force. Directives have to be implemented by all 27 European Union (EU) Member States into their national laws within two years of the time the Directive is formally adopted. 

I agree however that it is unlikely that the any rules introduced by the EU during the transition period would a) have been decided after we can no longer influence the decision or b) end up being so problematic that a lot of damage is done before we can just repeal it after the transition ends.. 

Well... in 1 weeks time you will have what you wanted.

I hope that the world on the other side is a rosy as you promised, but if not, then I will be standing up and saying "Told You So" and you will be blaming the remain voters saying it was our fault.

It wasn't, you have what you voted for, now grow up and take responsibility for the bad as well as any good there might be.

Personally I still think that the leavers have signed the toilet act for the UK as that is where we are headed, led by a self-confessed liar, a cheat, a racist and a sexist - your choices have made him the role model for your children.

I hope you are proud!

20 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I take it you still haven't go over being on the losing side  of the EU referendum result. 

I still haven't got over making what I think is a huge mistake.

As I said, I hope I am wrong, but I think that we are sliding into an era in which Britain will lose influence, power and the economy will go down the pan.

Oh, and the Union will break down.

But hey, that's what you voted for ... so you can't complain.

But I didn't, so I can!

22 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I take it you still haven't go over being on the losing side  of the EU referendum result. 

I haven’t go either.