Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Even with EU standards we have had; tainted olive oil, benzene in perrier water, dioxins in poultry feed, E.coli scare from contaminated imported beans, the horsemeat scandal, contaminated chicken eggs, salmonella in baby milk, unsafe Polish exported meat.

But they were scandals because they shouldn't have happened, none of them. The defects book is what the americans are ALLOWED to get away with.

14 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

But they were scandals because they shouldn't have happened, none of them. The defects book is what the americans are ALLOWED to get away with.

But presumably, just like we've had for the past 40 odd years under the EU, as a consumer I can exercise my right & either except & buy an imported food product or seek out & buy the locally sourced alternative? 

I don't know about you but the chicken / turkey we always purchase comes from butchers who source meat as local as possible.  As far as I know, we've never eaten an EU chicken so I'm not about to start getting worked up regarding any US poultry that I'm never going to eat. 

Here's something to cheer everyone up. 

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/mr-stop-brexit-guy-on-the-future-of-brexit-1-6437320

You've got to admire his futile optimism. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

As far as I know, we've never eaten an EU chicken

well, yes you have, obviously.

For one thing : we're in the EU.

and another the 'local' produce you buy still has to comply with the regulations.

(thankfully)

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

so I'm not about to start getting worked up regarding any US poultry that I'm never going to eat.

if we're going to accept lower standards on imported food, uk producers will be allowed to adopt the lower standards. (higher standards mean higher costs)

Edited by ads36

13 minutes ago, ads36 said:

well, yes you have, obviously.

For one thing : we're in the EU.

and another the 'local' produce you buy still has to comply with the regulations.

(thankfully)

if we're going to accept lower standards on imported food, uk producers will be allowed to adopt the lower standards. (higher standards mean higher costs)

Surely if I'm buying local produce that is compliant with current EU law which British farmers are happy with then why should they adopt a lower standard at a future date?  And the costs are irrelevant as they will be the same costs as at present. 

Never heard of the RSPCA or organisations such Compassion in Farming? 

What producer is going to tout their products as being of a lower regulated standard than their competitors, whether it be food or any other product?

The consumer will decide.  Nothing but scare mongering. 

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Surely if I'm buying local produce that is compliant with current EU law which British farmers are happy with then why should they adopt a lower standard at a future date?  And the costs are irrelevant as they will be the same costs as at present. 

Never heard of the RSPCA or organisations such Compassion in Farming? 

What producer is going to tout their products as being of a lower regulated standard than their competitors, whether it be food or any other product?

The consumer will decide.  Nothing but scare mongering. 

Providing it's clearly labelled. Will it be clearly labelled?

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I doubt it. Given the almost laissez-faire attitude to trade of some of the Tories involved with post brexit trade negotiations, e.g. Liam Fox, and for example, the USA's long policy against mandatory labelling of GMO produce in its trade negotiations, it doesn't seem likely.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Depends on the deal, the US is pushing hard for a serious reduction in information on food labelling.

Having nutrition, high-fat/sugar info, and origin information on labelling is considered a "barrier to trade" by the US, for fairly obvious reasons...

Fortunately, most of the public understand the importance of keeping our labelling and standards:

https://www.ippr.org/news-and-media/press-releases/public-willing-to-sacrifice-us-trade-deal-to-protect-food-safety

Bit of a bind for Boris though...

Only time will tell.

2 hours ago, retep said:

Well it is now genius, will it be in the future or will that be part of the “red tape” that gets cut? 

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

Depends on the deal, the US is pushing hard for a serious reduction in information on food labelling.

Having nutrition, high-fat/sugar info, and origin information on labelling is considered a "barrier to trade" by the US, for fairly obvious reasons...

Fortunately, most of the public understand the importance of keeping our labelling and standards:

https://www.ippr.org/news-and-media/press-releases/public-willing-to-sacrifice-us-trade-deal-to-protect-food-safety

Bit of a bind for Boris though...

Only time will tell.

Not a bind for Boris at all. He’s getting brexit done you know, on a tide of <removed>  with little scrutiny. 

Edited by nikki-red

Let's face it, all those who backed Remaining in the European  (ever closer political and economic) Union were on the wrong side of history. 

The EU is going to transform into something completely unrecognisable over the next few decades, if it can survive. We are well shut of it. Economic and democratic power has to come out of Westminster and into the regions, not come out of Westminster and into the EU.

Edited by Car Boot

24 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The EU is going to transform into something completely unrecognisable over the next few decades, 

no ****, the whole world has, and more (since the 60s / 70s) its what happens