Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

4 hours ago, catmiss said:

Commentators are predicting a softer Brexit now Boris doesn’t have to cow tow to the ERG or the DUP

That is very true. I am expecting the Leavers to claim that Brexit isn’t Brexit. 

6 hours ago, catmiss said:

Commentators are predicting a softer Brexit now Boris doesn’t have to cow tow to the ERG or the DUP

Sir Ivan Rogers isn't. And he hasn't been wrong yet.

I expect the fisheries aspect of the FTA to become the core political issue (it's not an economic one for the UK, given the figures involved).

7 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

That is very true. I am expecting the Leavers to claim that Brexit isn’t Brexit. 

Seems Boris has promised everything to everyone.

A hard brexit to the older voters, whilst promising to fully maintain supply lines to those whose jobs depend on full integration with the EU. In 6 months one or the other group is going to very angry. Though not much they can do, given the mandate they gave him for the next 5 years.

5 hours ago, L00b said:

Sir Ivan Rogers isn't. And he hasn't been wrong yet.

I expect the fisheries aspect of the FTA to become the core political issue (it's not an economic one for the UK, given the figures involved).

You could be right there, it's not hard to wonder why. In 1970 Grimsby was perhaps the largest fishing port in the world; it started its decline due to the dispute with Iceland,  then more rapidly when Ted Heath gave away the exclusive rights to our fishing grounds (EEZ) to the Common Fisheries Policy.

Edited by carosio

1 hour ago, carosio said:

You could be right there, it's not hard to wonder why. In 1970 Grimsby was perhaps the largest fishing port in the world; it started its decline due to the dispute with Iceland,  then more rapidly when Ted Heath gave away the exclusive rights to our fishing grounds (EEZ) to the Common Fisheries Policy.

You forgot the part where UK fishermen sold their quota allocations[1] to EU companies rather than support their communities by selling them to their neighbours. That's the reason I have little sympathy for fishing communities moaning about the EU.

[1] Under UK law, quota is allocated to a boat, sell the boat and the quota goes with it. The other EU counties didn't implement such a brain dead system.

Edited by altus

1 hour ago, altus said:

You forgot the part where UK fishermen sold their quota allocations[1] to EU companies rather than support their communities by selling them to their neighbours. That's the reason I have little sympathy for fishing communities moaning about the EU.

[1] Under UK law, quota is allocated to a boat, sell the boat and the quota goes with it. The other EU counties didn't implement such a brain dead system.

Yes, and it appears that Spain (and others) has bought 90% of Welsh quotas, quotas which are decided in Brussels.

19 minutes ago, carosio said:

Yes, and it appears that Spain (and others) has bought 90% of Welsh quotas, quotas which are decided in Brussels.

Yes, my point was that on top of quotas agreed with the EU, we had greedy fishermen selling the quota allocated to them outside their communities with permission of a government that could have stopped them if it had chosen to do so (like other EU countries do). If they'd been allocated more quota, they'd have still sold it to the same people - to the detriment of their communities.

Edited by altus

The issue of UK EU membership is DEAD for at least 20 years. 

We are OUT.

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

We are OUT.

But the consequences of Brexit can be debated for a good few years yet.

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

We are OUT.

we arent out, are you in the future or something? liar liar pants on fire Johnson can still stab the brextremists in the back yet, theres still time, so i wouldnt get too happy about your billionaire tory masters yet.

18 minutes ago, melthebell said:

we arent out, are you in the future or something? liar liar pants on fire Johnson can still stab the brextremists in the back yet, theres still time, so i wouldnt get too happy about your billionaire tory masters yet.

It’s going to be interesting, Bonkers could throw them under that bus if he wants. I’m a bit perturbed by some of the right wing folk on here to be honest, they championed this scenario yet just seem to be blaming Labour and Corbyn for the bobbar that we’re going to be in for some reason.

4 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

It’s going to be interesting, Bonkers could throw them under that bus if he wants. I’m a bit perturbed by some of the right wing folk on here to be honest, they championed this scenario yet just seem to be blaming Labour and Corbyn for the bobbar that we’re going to be in for some reason.

according to Mad Mike Bobbar went out of fashion 40 years so youre not allowed to use it ;)