Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

36 minutes ago, retep said:

Have the kicked us out yet?

The chart says it,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48256318

Ah yes, the chart. Or rather, the UK's prominent 2nd position in it, have I got you right?

Don't know about you, but I like to understand where figures in charts come from, and their full context. That's what I mean by "looking at the UK net contribution relative to other net contributors and the EU budget".

Handily, this very recent Parliamentary report on the UK payments to the EU provides just that. At least from a UK-centric perspective (I'll deliberately gloss over the scale of Germany's net contribution over the past decade, for now at least).

The section which you might find of interest, is the UK rebate (34%, broadly), and particularly how it is funded: the other EU27 members fund it. 

Now sprinkle a bit of basic maths on top, and you soon realise that £7bn per annum is really not that big a piece of cloth for the EU27 to cut post-Brexit. Very far from it.

So, you'll have to excuse me if, rather than 'dependency' and 'desperation', all I see is a brief budgetary speed bump (already long factored into EU budget forecasts by now).

Edit: obviously, it's still a bit early to talk about future UK payments for participating in certain EU programs. But you know, with that, it's a bit like prices for members and prices for non-members in clubs, gyms and other associations. That £half-bn for partaking in Galileo might increase to £1bn etc. No hard feelings, right? It's just business.

Edited by L00b

26 minutes ago, retep said:

Have the kicked us out yet?

Aren't we free to leave on our own accord??  Don't we have two distinct options open to us??

Blaming the EU for the mess we've quite clearly created, it's quite something.

17 minutes ago, L00b said:

Ah yes, the chart. Or rather, the UK's prominent 2nd position in it, have I got you right?

Don't know about you, but I like to understand where figures in charts come from, and their full context. That's what I mean by "looking at the UK net contribution relative to other net contributors and the EU budget".

Handily, this very recent Parliamentary report on the UK payments to the EU provides just that. At least from a UK-centric perspective (I'll deliberately gloss over the scale of Germany's net contribution over the past decade, for now at least).

The section which you might find of interest, is the UK rebate (34%, broadly), and particularly how it is funded: the EU27 members fund it. 

Now sprinkle a bit of basic maths on top, and you soon realise that £7bn per annum is really not that big a piece of cloth for the EU27 to cut post-Brexit. Very far from it.

So, you'll have to excuse me if, rather than 'dependency' and 'desperation', all I see is a brief budgetary speed bump (already long factored into EU budget forecasts by now).

Edit: obviously, it's still a bit early to talk about future UK payments for participating in certain EU programs. But you know, with that, it's a bit like prices for members and prices for non-members in clubs, gyms and other associations. That £half-bn for partaking in Galileo might increase to £1bn etc. No hard feelings, right? It's just business.

Ahh! makes you wonder why they are so desperate to keep the UK in doesn't it,  a kick up the UK's arse would make it much simpler than dragging on it's leg.

22 minutes ago, geared said:

Aren't we free to leave on our own accord?? 

Absolutely, ever since the Art.50 notification in March 2017 (and the HoC vote for it that preceded it, for the sake of constitutional propriety here).

And, for right or wrong (I'll confess to very mixed feelings there, at times), the EU27 will never actually kick the UK out, because the EU27 know only too well what hardships the UK faces once it is out, and rightly want no part of the mountains of blame that will arise in the UK from those hardships.

Many Leavers tend to see this refusal to kick the UK out  as an EU27 weakness: obviously, they are completely oblivious to the irony that, in wishing the EU to kick the UK out , clearly they'd sooner surrender control to the EU for achieving their cherished Brexit, than doing it them-sovereign-selves :D

Edit - snap retep's latest post above :lol:

Edited by L00b

32 minutes ago, RJRB said:

At €112.85 p.p /p.a This must be the best membership fee that money can buy.

I pay more than that for Christmas dinner for two.

Most Leave voters I know haven't been able to afford a Christmas dinner for many years, long before the June 2016 referendum. The food bank will be all they have to look forward to again this year. 

I'm sure they will be thankful that affluent out of touch Remainers are able to spend more on a single Christmas dinner than they have in their food budget for an entire month.

All Praise the EU Masters.

Edited by Car Boot

7 minutes ago, L00b said:

Absolutely, ever since the Art.50 notification in March 2017 (and the HoC vote for it that preceded it, for the sake of constitutional propriety here).

And, for right or wrong (I'll confess to very mixed feelings there, at times), the EU27 will never actually kick the UK out, because the EU27 know only too well what hardships the UK faces once it is out, and rightly want no part of the mountains of blame that will arise in the UK from those hardships.

Many Leavers tend to see this refusal to kick the UK out  as an EU27 weakness: obviously, they are completely oblivious to the irony that, in wishing the EU to kick the UK out , clearly they'd sooner surrender control to the EU for achieving their cherished Brexit, than doing it them-sovereign-selves :D

Edit - snap retep's latest post above :lol:

They'll have to contribute extra to make up the shortfall.

20 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Most Leave voters I know haven't been able to afford a Christmas dinner for many years, long before the June 2016 referendum. The food bank will be all they have to look forward to again this year. 

I'm sure they will be thankful that affluent out of touch Remainers are able to spend more on a single Christmas dinner than they have in their food budget for an entire month.

That’s quite a sweeping statement.

I’m beginning to feel real anguish for for “most” Leavers .

However If Boris,IDS,Rees Mogg should come round on Christmas Day Iamsure that we can rustle up something..

Whatever arguments you might have become ridiculous as you over egg it.

Not a good thing to waste good eggs in view of the circles that you apparent move in.

Perhaps if he put as much effort into bettering himself than he does moaning about the EU overlords he could provide a Xmas meal for all his down-trodden mates???

Edited by geared

48 minutes ago, retep said:

They'll have to contribute extra to make up the shortfall.

Indeed.

But the basic point which you have been deliberately skirting around for the past few posts, is how much extra.

Once you take out the EU27 contributions to the annual UK rebate, besides taking into account the lowered EU budget projections to end 2021,  'not that much' is the simple answer which, clearly, you refuse to acknowledge.

Still, carry on believing that the UK contributions make or break the EU. It's amusing, in a quaintly imperialistic way that is so typical of Leavers.

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

With Brexit done, they can look forward to years' more use of foodbanks, besides learning the liberating joys of self-diagnosis and self-medication, gradually solving the UK's overpopulation problem at least taxpayer expense.

Don't praise anyone, just Get Brexit Done.

28 minutes ago, L00b said:

Indeed.

But the basic point which you have been deliberately skirting around for the past few posts, is how much extra.

Once you take out the EU27 contributions to the annual UK rebate, besides taking into account the lowered EU budget projections to end 2021,  'not that much' is the simple answer which, clearly, you refuse to acknowledge.

Still, carry on believing that the UK contributions make or break the EU. It's amusing, in a quaintly imperialistic way that is so typical of Leavers.

Enough to make Ireland wince,

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-s-contribution-to-eu-budget-expected-to-rise-to-2-7bn-this-year-1.3467403