Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

You did read the bit where he said, his British friend said the bit about the end of the British empire?

donald also mentioned us turning into a second rate country........which also could happen, you missed that bit out

Donald Tusk certainly believes that the UK Leaving the EU would mean the end of the British Empire, turning us into a "second rate" country.

These EU imperialists/colonialists cannot accept the end of Empire, they think the world revolves around their sordid corrupt club.

LEAVE THE EU.

NO MORE EMPIRES!

4 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

Really? Leavers are the most imperialist of a bygone age I know. They even display the racist and xenophobic tendencies that are associated with it. As it has been said before, 100% of racists and xenophobes voted Leave. None voted remain. 

According to European Council President Donald Tusk, "Brexit is the real end of the British Empire".

Europhiles have long believed that the British Empire is alive and well while we Remain in the EU, and once we Leave the British Empire will end. 

ABOUT TIME WE ABOLISHED THE BRITISH EMPIRE AND LEFT THE EU.

No sane person wants to be a part of an empire in the 21st century - British or otherwise. But EU federalists greatly desire an EU Empire:

"The world order of tomorrow is not a world order based on nation states or countries. It’s a world order that is based on empires."      Guy Verhofstadt, EU’s chief negotiator on Brexit. 

José Manuel Barroso, former President of the EU Commission “Sometimes I like to compare the EU as a creation to the organization of empire. We have the dimension of empire.”

NO MORE EMPIRES. LEAVE THE EU AND END THE BRITISH EU EMPIRE.

People who support empires are mad and bad.

12 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

According to European Council President Donald Tusk, "Brexit is the real end of the British Empire".

I thought that was an odd thing for him to say.  Aren't we over the British Empire and slightly ashamed of it now.

Never thought I'd say it, but I'm with Corbyn on this:

Corbyn hits back at Tusk saying Brexit Britain will never be a 'second-rate player'

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/jeremy-corbyn-donald-tusk-don-t-give-up-1-6375347

Not a good choice odd words from Tusk because of the connotations of Empire.

However,the point that we have elected to become a second or third rate power on the world stage is a more likely scenario than the world leading nation that Boris is promoting.

Britain and Europe  are stronger together as a trading bloc and to argue otherwise defies logic.

Truth always hurts, and rarely more so than when spoken about a nation's standing, in the pre-existing context of a burning nationalistic fever.

But hubris will hurt you more. It already has for a while now, though most Joe Averages on British streets don't know it yet, nor by how much - and with a GE and Brexit on the near horizon, causing still more uncertainty after 3+ years, there's no sign of any turnaround soon.

The UK still isn't second rate thankfully, in spite the last 3+ years of political theatre, and that's because it is still an EU member now, with a socio-economic activity still broadly unmolested as a result of it. But a Tory majority (or near enough) and their version of Brexit come 2020 would achieve that downgrade inside 2 years.

You don't have to like what Tusk is saying. But that doesn't make him wrong.

I'd say a 27 dependency to 1 makes the EU second rate,  as it seems the 27 are desperate to keep 1  in their club.

27 minutes ago, retep said:

I'd say a 27 dependency to 1 makes the EU second rate,  as it seems the 27 are desperate to keep 1  in their club.

Cos 28 is stronger than 27

36 minutes ago, retep said:

And with such perception and logic there can be no sensible discussion.

11 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Cos 28 is stronger than 27

With most of the 27 poorer and with no power.

50 minutes ago, retep said:

Dependency? Desperate? Mistaking your wishes for reality, much? (I'd say you haven't checked the UK's net contribution figures in a while, relative to other net contributors and relative to the EU budget).

Meanwhile, here on planet Earth mk1, the EU27 continue to do EU business as normal without the UK in the room, to roll out EIB investment initiatives and to structure collaborative pan-european R&D programs, whilst the EU institutions relocated from the UK resume business as usual.

They've invited the UK to nominate a Commissioner (again), until the UK actually Brexits (whenever you're ready, lads), since the UK is entitled to one out of 27 by virtue of its membership. Johnson has refused to nominate one (again). So van der Leyden will just continue to do Commission work, without a UK Commissioner providing British insights and influence.

Haven't seen a better example of cutting off your nose to spite your face since Boris withdrew his Withdrawal Agreement (version 3.0) and went for a GE instead.

The cherry on top is that Johnson's refusal is now cementing the EU27's loss of trust in the UK's positions, to the point wherein the EU27 will want every last detail in writing and binding - making all agreements (withdrawal version 4.0 and future relationship agreement negotiated from February 2020 onwards) that much longer to negotiate and finalise. Top work, there, lads.

Edited by L00b

43 minutes ago, retep said:

it seems the 27 are desperate to keep 1  in their club.

They were perfectly happy to negotiate a withdrawal deal with us.  TWICE.

For some reason we're still here?

1 minute ago, geared said:

They were perfectly happy to negotiate a withdrawal deal with us.  TWICE.

For some reason we're still here?

Have the kicked us out yet?

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

Dependency? Desperate? Mistaking your wishes for reality, much? (I'd say you haven't checked the UK's net contribution figures in a while, relative to other net contributors and relative to the EU budget).

Meanwhile, here on planet Earth mk1, the EU27 continue to do EU business as normal without the UK in the room, to roll out EIB investment initiatives and to structure collaborative pan-european R&D programs, whilst the EU institutions relocated from the UK resume business as usual.

They've invited the UK to nominate a Commissioner (again), until the UK actually Brexits (whenever you're ready, lads), since the UK is entitled to one out of 27 by virtue of its membership. Johnson has refused to nominate one (again). So van der Leyden will just continue to do Commission work, without a UK Commissioner providing British insights and influence.

Haven't seen a better example of cutting off your nose to spite your face since Boris withdrew his Withdrawal Agreement (version 3.0) and went for a GE instead.

The chart says it,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48256318