Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

2 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

I have never stated I don't like or respect the result of the 2017 General Election.  It's  normal for there to be another General Election after a ruling party loses their working majority in Parliament.  It's only because of the recent  new fixed term Parliament Act that the opposition alliance can block a General Election being held. The intention of the fixed term Parliament Act wasn't to allow the opposition parties to block whatever the Government wants to do. 

A weak government that can only pass sensible legislation, is exactly what this country needs at the moment.

We need more consensus and less extremism.

A Corbyn, or Johnson government with a large majority, would be a disaster.

You'll all be pleased to know that Boris Johnson's threat of a strike by government ministers, if he doesn't get his 12th December election has been dropped.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-election-strike-december-christmas-delay-eu-a9170846.html

Phew! I'm so glad 

6 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

Who do you think implements the practicalities of an election? It isn’t the government, it is the electoral commission. If the electoral commission says it cannot be carried out because they don’t have enough polling stations then it will not be. 

And have they stated that... no!

I never said that the disruption of the school curriculum was the primary concern in taking over a school. Just join the dots here, it’s a school and it’s Christmas. 

And that makes a difference how as the curriculum is still followed regardless so having one day off would hardly cause problems. Seems that people want to drum up and make excuses when there is none.

I personally know about the opt out. I use it myself and because of it I sit nicely in the top 5% of earners. The point is that it is there and is used for workers’ protection. 

And the point I was making is that employers can easily get around it.

Edit: forgot to mention, yes you do not understand democracy when you continuously bang on about the MPs not carrying out the “will of the people”. MPs do not have to, there is no such mandate, the “will of the people” is not delegated to them to implement. 

I think you have me confused with another poster as that is not what I have been continuously saying. Having said that I have said many times on here and also just recently that its parliament that make the decisions and not the people so it follows that I actually agree with you. You are getting confused somewhere down the line.

Not the 52/48 thing again, please! :rolleyes:

In the neverending repeat of this argument, and the underlying sentiment which only-very-slowly shifting sides of the debate (as polled over the last 3 years) reflect, we have the perfect explanation of why Brexit is a mess: a significant proportion of Brits do not want out of Europe, and for those who do, there is no single definition of what the "Europe" is, that they want out of.

To take a very recent example: Thomas Cook. Tens of thousands of Brits were quite happy to spend their GBPs on airlines benefiting from EASA regulation of their aircraft, flying through European Air Traffic Control, benefiting from EU-directed consumer protection regulation, to visit another EU country, visa-free, where they could use their mobile phones under EU-directed "at home" tariffs, protected by at least an EHIC in case of injury, but possibly also travel insurance subject to the same guarantees in "Europe" as GB, and eating food prepared in catering establishments that had been certified safe according to the same standards as any eatery in their local High Street. If they were unfortunate enough to be the victim of crime, they could have counted on the mutual recognition of security protocols and legal decisions. And at the end of their trip, they were free to bring back to the UK just about anything they'd bought, borrowed or found without fear of prosecution.

Which part of all that so angers the Brits, that they want to trash their relationship with 27 other countries on the European continent? 

It is utterly pointless arguing in favour of anything Brexity on the grounds that "the people voted to leave", until you've answered the question "Leave what?"

And given that,  if there's even one Leaver who says "this is not what I voted for in 2016" then it calls into question the whole vote.

Edited by L00b

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

A weak government that can only pass sensible legislation, is exactly what this country needs at the moment.

We need more consensus and less extremism.

A Corbyn, or Johnson government with a large majority, would be a disaster.

You've lost the plot.  General Elections decide which party or parties are our Government. 

3 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

You've lost the plot.  General Elections decide which party or parties are our Government. 

They don’t, you know. They help, but that’s about it

Any chance of you conversing without all the “That is hilarious “ or “You’ve lost  the plot” stuff.  It is a bit juvenile 

Edited by Pettytom

1 hour ago, Albert the Cat said:

It has been stated before that another referendum should be used to get through the deadlock. This was started by the people, it should be finished by the people. 

Can I remind you of post #3455 quote:

"Edit: forgot to mention, yes you do not understand democracy when you continuously bang on about the MPs not carrying out the “will of the people”. MPs do not have to, there is no such mandate, the “will of the people” is not delegated to them to implement."

Just to add:  It was not started by the people but by parliament and its up to them to decide if we have another referendum and not the people.

Sort out a Brexit withdrawal  first either through Parliament or if that remains deadlocked by a second referendum.

General election to follow either by consensus or at the end of term.

Don’t let Boris the hapless bulldozer and driver Dominic  continue to wreck the country.

There are many fronts to fight in a GE,and to allow it to be virtually a single issue vote is no benefit to anyone.

25 minutes ago, apelike said:

I think you will find  him stating it is still narrow and around remain 52%-48% leave

That is when you simply ask people ‘How would you vote in another EU referendum?’

The point Curtice was making was that if you factor in the increased likelihood of ‘non-2016 voting Remainers choosing to vote this time round, and disillusioned 2016 Leave voters boycotting another vote, this would skew the result further towards Remain. He said that these things were difficult to quantify but could end up with a Remain vote of 65-70%.

That high a Remain vote, combined with the mess the 2016 vote left us in, would certainly kill off any talk of leaving for a generation if not forever.

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The point Curtice was making was that if you factor in the increased likelihood of ‘non-2016 voting Remainers choosing to vote this time round, and disillusioned 2016 Leave voters boycotting another vote, this would skew the result further towards Remain. He said that these things were difficult to quantify but could end up with a Remain vote of 65-70%.

Strange I can't find any details of him saying that, can you supply a link?

14 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Sort out a Brexit withdrawal  first either through Parliament or if that remains deadlocked by a second referendum.

General election to follow either by consensus or at the end of term.

Don’t let Boris the hapless bulldozer and driver Dominic  continue to wreck the country.

There are many fronts to fight in a GE,and to allow it to be virtually a single issue vote is no benefit to anyone.

The truth is that the current Parliament are only interested in blocking Brexit.   The Withdrawal Agreement is a treaty and can't be amended or altered by Parliament because agreement has been reached jointly between the EU and the UK Government.  The reason why the opposition parties don't want a General Election is because the likelihood is after a General Election they would no longer be able  to block the implementation of the democratic 2016 EU Referendum result.  It's the rogue dishonest Parliament who continue to wreck our country and not Boris.

33 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

They don’t, you know. They help, but that’s about it

Any chance of you conversing without all the “That is hilarious “ or “You’ve lost  the plot” stuff.  It is a bit juvenile 

It will switch back to shameful.