Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

33 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

So with that astounding bit of information why the reluctance of St Jeremy to confirm the Tory plan for another General Election. The remainers MUST KNOW if St Jeremy is returned to office, a second referendum could be called, their problems are solved. 

Brexit needs sorting, lets have the GE asap, looks like Labour is nailed on to win. 🤣

Angel1.

There is no need for a General Election.

The opposition alliance have Johnson’s extremist government exactly where they want them.

Why on earth would they want to sacrifice that?

34 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

So with that astounding bit of information why the reluctance of St Jeremy to confirm the Tory plan for another General Election. The remainers MUST KNOW if St Jeremy is returned to office, a second referendum could be called, their problems are solved. 

Brexit needs sorting, lets have the GE asap, looks like Labour is nailed on to win. 🤣

Angel1.

A second referendum should happen before a general election. This is what the Tories are terrified about. The Brexit issue and a general election should be completely divorced from each other. 

It has been stated before that another referendum should be used to get through the deadlock. This was started by the people, it should be finished by the people. 

4 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

The opposition alliance have Johnson’s extremist government exactly where they want them.

That’s a very good point. 

2 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

A second referendum should happen before a general election. This is what the Tories are terrified about. The Brexit issue and a general election should be completely divorced from each other. 

It has been stated before that another referendum should be used to get through the deadlock. This was started by the people, it should be finished by the people. 

Common sense Albert, but common sense never prevails.

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

There is no justification for Remain to be on any referendum ballot paper because that option was rejected by our democratic people in 2016.

Was it?

How do you conclude that? 🤣

With less than a week to go, I haven’t seen a single Brexit event advertised anywhere in South Yorkshire.

In an area which voted to leave the EU, I find that surprising. And wasn’t the Royal Mint supposed to be striking a commemorative Brexit 50p coin?

What’s going on?

36 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

They would want a General Election if they respected democracy because 80%  of voters chose Parties who had manifestos to implement the EU 2016 Referendum result when they voted in the 2017 General Election.

The opposition alliance are not acting in our country's interest because all they seek to do is block the implementation of the 2016 EU Referendum result and continue the uncertainty. 

33 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

Neither the Labour Party or the Tory Party had a provision for another referendum in their 2017 General Election manifestos.  There is no mandate from the UK people to have another referendum.   The only way there could be a mandate for another referendum is if a Party or a coalition of Parties won a General Election after having manifestos stating they would offer another referendum.  The 2016 EU Referendum only happened because the Tory Party won a clear majority in the 2015 General Election with a manifesto to hold an IN/OUT EU Referendum.

9 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Was it?

How do you conclude that? 🤣

Because 52% is greater than 48%.

Edited by Lockdoctor

4 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

.Because 52% is greater than 48%.

That is only those who bothered to turn out for Cameron’s referendum. That’s not really rejecting remaining in the EU, given that before, during and after the referendum, the majority of our citizens wish to remain.

By your logic, Labour should not be allowed to stand in the upcoming election because it was rejected in 2017. 🙄

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

I'm not arguing for another referendum or for no-deal to be on any referendum ballot paper.  There is no justification for Remain to be on any referendum ballot paper because that option was rejected by our democratic people in 2016. However, if a referendum took place on how our country is going to leave the EU then there would be no justification for no-deal not to be on the ballot paper. Just to make my position perfectly clear I don't support any new referendum because I respect the result of the democratic 2016 EU Referendum and support that result to be implemented either with the new Withdrawal Agreement on offer or by way of  no-deal which is the default legal position  as a consequence of Parliament overwhelmingly voting to trigger Article 50 before the 2017 General Election.

Regarding the Benn Act  surely that act ceases to apply after the EU make their decision about whether to extend Article 50 beyond 31st October.

Your position about a further referendum is noted, but remains redundant, because the law is what it is, and your opinion doesn't trump it. Nothing contentious here, just stating an obvious fact.

The Benn Act will apply to the next extension, no differently to how it applies to the current extension to 31 October.

13 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

They would want a General Election if they respected democracy because 80%  of voters chose Parties who had manifestos to implement the EU 2016 Referendum result when they voted in the 2017 General Election.

The opposition alliance are not acting in our country's interest because all they seek to do is block the implementation of the 2016 EU Referendum result and continue the uncertainty. 

I think I’ve grasped your position now.

You don’t like the result of the democratic General Election of 2017, so you’d like another vote now, despite the fact that the parliament still has three years to run.

You do like the result of the 2016 EU referendum, so you oppose another vote on that.

Some would say that your position is a touch hypocritical.

5 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

That is only those who bothered to turn out for Cameron’s referendum. That’s not really rejecting remaining in the EU, given that before, during and after the referendum, the majority of our citizens wish to remain.

By your logic, Labour should not be allowed to stand in the upcoming election because it was rejected in 2017. 🙄

That is hilarious given the fact  more UK people turned out to vote in the democratic 2016 EU Referendum than any other national vote in UK history.

No, it's your double Dutch logic that says Labour should not stand in the upcoming General Election.  A referendum on one single issue is not the same as a General Election which has to happen at least ever 5 years.

9 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Strathclyde University’s John Curtice, the ‘polling guru’ said earlier this year that it isn’t outside the realm of possibility that in another referendum, Remain could win with 65-70% of the vote.

I think you will find  him stating it is still narrow and around remain 52%-48% leave and the change from leave to remain and remain to leave being fairly equal at around 8%. I have posted the detail before but here they are again.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/author/johncurtice/

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I think I’ve grasped your position now.

You don’t like the result of the democratic General Election of 2017, so you’d like another vote now, despite the fact that the parliament still has three years to run.'s

You do like the result of the 2016 EU referendum, so you oppose another vote on that.

Some would say that your position is a touch hypocritical.

I have never stated I don't like or respect the result of the 2017 General Election.  It's  normal for there to be another General Election after a ruling party loses their working majority in Parliament.  It's only because of the recent  new fixed term Parliament Act that the opposition alliance can block a General Election being held. The intention of the fixed term Parliament Act wasn't to allow the opposition parties to block whatever the Government wants to do.