Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

25 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

I wouldn't be too sure, looking at reactions online.  It seems many Brexiters wanting a hard Brexit have dropped Boris and are looking to Farage now as their only chance to deliver a hard Brexit.

Well, we're really looking at headbangers here, when you consider that Johnson's WA is the hardest of negotiated exits yet, short of a no deal crash out (-with the impossibility of which, everybody with at least one grey cell should now be onboard, across the political landscape, for very obvious socio-economic and geopolitical reasons).

Sure, Farage must still be frightening some Conservatives: there were noises yesterday, that some Conservatives were thinking of buying him out with a peerage. But the BXP is never going to achieve massive electoral success in a GE: given the FPTP system, there simply aren't enough of those headbangers across the country to yield BXP MPs in any number (if even one!)

14 hours ago, francypants said:

I live in Barnsley and I can vouch that this is true.    In fact the  ' want to leave '  is  much stronger now than it was in 2016.

Francy, it's just been announced that all future Brexit negotiations will be transferred from Brussels to Birdwell fish and chip shop.

54 minutes ago, L00b said:

Well, we're really looking at headbangers here, when you consider that Johnson's WA is the hardest of negotiated exits yet, short of a no deal crash out (-with the impossibility of which, everybody with at least one grey cell should now be onboard, across the political landscape, for very obvious socio-economic and geopolitical reasons).

Sure, Farage must still be frightening some Conservatives: there were noises yesterday, that some Conservatives were thinking of buying him out with a peerage. But the BXP is never going to achieve massive electoral success in a GE: given the FPTP system, there simply aren't enough of those headbangers across the country to yield BXP MPs in any number (if even one!)

I am in agreement that the Brexit Party will not do any better than UKIP did in the General Elections.  The Brexit Party can only prevent  the Tory Party from gaining a working majority after the General Election.

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

We don't know the terms of the extension yet assuming it will be granted, but last night one of the reporters stated there could be a brake clause allowing for an exit on 15th November or 1st December if the bill is brought back and goes through all the stages in Parliament. 

Tusk is going to recommend the January extension I believe?

From their point of view a short extension puts alot of trust in the British political system to deliver the deal, trust which we really don't deserve as clearly there is very little agreement on things.

Kick the can down the road until next year and see if an election can shake things up.

1 hour ago, L00b said:

there were noises yesterday, that some Conservatives were thinking of buying him out with a peerage. 

I assume that would be to prevent his party contesting seats and stealing Tory votes?

22 minutes ago, geared said:

Tusk is going to recommend the January extension I believe?

From their point of view a short extension puts alot of trust in the British political system to deliver the deal, trust which we really don't deserve as clearly there is very little agreement on things.

Kick the can down the road until next year and see if an election can shake things up.

It would still be an extension to January 31st with a brake clause.   The EU hasn't anything to lose with a brake clause that could only come into operation in the next month assuming they really want the new deal ratified by the UK Parliament .  I agree a lack of trust in the  current political system or behaviour of our politicians is justified.  

Despite Sheffield voting in favour of leaving the EU in the referendum, every single Sheffield MP voted against the EU withdrawal Bill and against the three day timetable yesterday.

Clive Betts (Labour - Sheffield South East)

Paul Blomfield (Labour - Sheffield Central)

Gill Furniss (Labour - Sheffield, Brightside and Hillsborough)

Louise Haigh (Labour - Sheffield, Heeley)

Jared O'Mara (Independent - Sheffield, Hallam)

An election is coming soon in my opinion, and we must do all we can to remove such unrepresentative anti-democrats.

40 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

It would still be an extension to January 31st with a brake clause.   The EU hasn't anything to lose with a brake clause that could only come into operation in the next month assuming they really want the new deal ratified by the UK Parliament .  I agree a lack of trust in the  current political system or behaviour of our politicians is justified.  

Does it even need a break clause? 

We vote through all the relevant legislation and the bill, the EU votes through the deal, don't we then just leave?  

40 minutes ago, avalunche said:

Despite Sheffield voting in favour of leaving the EU in the referendum, every single Sheffield MP voted against the EU withdrawal Bill and against the three day timetable yesterday.

An election is coming soon in my opinion, and we must do all we can to remove such unrepresentative anti-democrats.

Labour MP's voted in line with the partys direction, no great surprise at all.

I hope you put your mark down as a Tory in the next election if you're not happy with them.

Edited by geared

45 minutes ago, avalunche said:

I would like to see a General Election now, but has Boris got the power to trigger one without having to get MPs to agree to one?  If he has got to get Parliaments permission then it wouldn’t surprise me if they won’t allow one until the five years fixed term is up sometime in 2022.  

58 minutes ago, avalunche said:

If you're going to argue about Sheffield MPs being unrepresentative you should at least pay attention to the way their constituencies voted in the referendum. Central was about 68% remain and Hallam about 66% remain.

25 minutes ago, geared said:

Does it even need a break clause? 

We vote through all the relevant legislation and the bill, the EU votes through the deal, don't we then just leave?  

If the extension is granted until 31st January then we couldn't leave until that date unless there is a brake clause, even if all the relevant legislation is passed through Parliament.

Edited by Lockdoctor

7 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

If the extension is granted until 31st January then we couldn't leave until that date unless there is a brake clause, even if all the relevant legislation is passed through Parliament.

I did wonder if that was the case, seemed abit silly but there you go.   A break clause would solve that issue.

Would seem abit funny if legislation was all wrapped up by early November, then the country sits around twiddling it's thumbs till next year waiting for an arbitrary date to come round.

23 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I would like to see a General Election now, but has Boris got the power to trigger one without having to get MPs to agree to one?  If he has got to get Parliaments permission then it wouldn’t surprise me if they won’t allow one until the five years fixed term is up sometime in 2022.  

No he can't trigger one alone, it requires a majority vote and Boris hasn't had a very good track record with those recently.

Don't forget that for a long time Labour have said they will support a General Election once the prospect of a No Deal exit on Haloween is off the table.

If/when an extension is granted Labour either need to go through with their promise or pull an embarrassing U-Turn and go back on their word.

Corbyn would have much egg on his face if he suddenly changed his tune, everyone is well aware how long he's been calling for the election after all.

Apparently this video is doing the rounds according to what I've just heard on the radio.  We are the laughing stock of the world. 

How England plan to leave the EU