Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

31 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

No, the Act was to obtain an extension if a deal wasn’t agreed By a certain date. Sending the letter was only part of that process.

That is why the court is reserving judgement until an extension is given. If the second letter disrupts the process and an extension is delayed or even cancelled as a result, then Bozo could be judged to have intentionally undermined the Act.

Bozo has said on many occasions that he doesn’t think an extension is a good idea. Everybody, including the EU knows his position on this. Specifically sending a letter stating this to Brussels, at the same time as sending his request for an extension could be judged as a deliberate attempt to undermine the legislation however if the extension is granted, then the court will almost certainly bow out.

Only the letter sent to the EU  asking for the extension counts. This has been excepted by the EU and will now be debated by them so says D Tusk. Any other letter sent to the EU is just an opinion. We all have opinions on here and elsewhere and god forbid the day when we cannot express one.

34 minutes ago, apelike said:

I keep saying the same to many remainers on here that still won't accept the referendum result despite it being democratic and valid.

The referendum result is a matter of historical record. I don’t see a single poster on here who denies that. Whether it commits a government to take the UK out of the EU against the wishes of the population is another matter altogether.

We need another referendum NOW!

I will gladly accept the result, Let the people decide.

11 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The referendum result is a matter of historical record. I don’t see a single poster on here who denies that.

But I never mentioned anything about people denying that it is a matter of Historical record did I so why introduce a strawman? You will however notice some remainers on here that have in the past suggested that the result was invalid because of electoral fraud, lies etc and despite it still being democratically valid now want another referendum.

Whether it commits a government to take the UK out of the EU against the wishes of the population is another matter altogether.

And as you and another on here keep being reminded the population has nothing to do with it as their wishes have not been asked for. Another democratic bit you don't seem to want to grasp.

6 minutes ago, Padders said:

We need another referendum NOW!

I will gladly accept the result, Let the people decide.

They already decided in the first referendum so its up to parliament to get their act together once and for all.

Edited by apelike

5 minutes ago, apelike said:

But I never mentioned anything about people denying that it is a matter of Historical record did I so why introduce a strawman? You will however notice some remainers on here that have in the past suggested that the result was invalid because of electoral fraud, lies etc and despite it still being democratically valid now want another referendum.

And as you and another on here keep being reminded the population has nothing to do with it as their wishes have not been asked for. Another democratic bit you don't seem to want to grasp.

They already decided in the first referendum so its up to parliament to get their act together once and for all.

That was 3yrs ago, I voted to leave..I am now being denied my democratic right to change my mind.

55 minutes ago, apelike said:

I keep saying the same to many remainers on here that still won't accept the referendum result despite it being democratic and valid.

Indeed.

And I’m sure that you are comfortable with the actions of our democratically elected parliament. Which was, of course, the result of a more recent vote.

26 minutes ago, Padders said:

That was 3yrs ago, I voted to leave..I am now being denied my democratic right to change my mind.

You cannot have it both ways. Are you saying that the first referendum result wasn’t democratic ? Of course you have the right to change your mind but you’re argument would deny my and others rights to have our votes implemented from the 2016 referendum.

Edited by hobinfoot

1 hour ago, apelike said:

As one of the many Remainers  I see no contradiction at all in firstly accepting the validity of the vote for Brexit in 2016,and my continuing hope that it will be as soft as possible or preferably overturned.

We are 3 1/2 years down the line and still tying to resolve exactly what version of Brexit is achievable.

Those who still cry “Just do it” should have realised by now that this is no more than a slogan.

I have long argued that there should be a final run off between a Brexit Deal,and Remain,and what will be will be.

To this end I really wish that JC would stand aside and allow Keir Starmer to step up to the plate.

3 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

You cannot have it both ways. Are you saying that the first referendum result wasn’t democratic ? Of course you have the right to change your mind but you’re argument would deny my and others rights to have our votes implemented from the 2016 referendum.

Only if you were to lose a second referendum.

46 minutes ago, Padders said:

As the first democratically held referendum has not been fulfilled and implemented yet you are being denied nothing, and only parliament can make that decision to revoke A50. If they decide to now do that and hold another referendum then fair game. In a GE the same principle applies in that you vote, the Government is formed and if you don't like it you then get a chance to vote them out at a later date. This should follow those same rules.

18 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Only if you were to lose a second referendum.

Which is not necessary.

Edited by apelike

26 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I have long argued that there should be a final run off between a Brexit Deal,and Remain,and what will be will be.

I think if there is to be a run-off then it should be deal or no-deal as remain was already a part of the first referendum question and shouldn't be used again.

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

No.

Surely, as a democrat, you accept all of the outcomes of our democratic institutions.

That will include our courts and our parliament.

Unless you are selective about the bits of democracy that you agree with. 

Since the democratic 2016 Referendum result our country has been divided.  Our country isn't  divided between Remainers and Leavers, but it is divided  between those who Respect Democracy and those who DON'T Respect Democracy.  I am in the Respect Democracy camp and support the way Boris has behaved  and what he has done since becoming  our country's Prime Minister because he is doing his very best to get the democratic 2016 EU Referendum result implemented on 31st October.  It's no coincidence that those who don't support Boris are in the DON'T Respect Democracy camp.