Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

28 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The whole legal argument is ludicrous. The letter has been acted upon and the EU leaders will be considering whether to grant an extension.  They can't send Boris the Prime Minister of our country to jail for expressing an opinion that an extension is not in our country's interest or the EU's interest.  

But people do go to jail for contempt of court.

We have courts to decide this sort of thing. Let them do their work. As a democrat , I’m sure that you believe in the importance of the Judicial System 

15 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

We have courts to decide this sort of thing. Let them do their work. As a democrat , I’m sure that you believe in the importance of the Judicial System 

I am not disputing that people go to jail for contempt.  

Those getting the courts involved about the letters are only do so for political reasons and are wasting the court's time.  

18 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I can’t understand why people are still arguing about this. The Act said the PM must ask for an extension. He has sent a letter asking for The extension.

15 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

I can’t understand why people are still arguing about this. The Act said the PM must ask for an extension. He has sent a letter asking for The extension.

Had he sent solely the Benn Act letter, duly signed, I'd agree with you.

As it is, however, Johnson has sent two letters, with the Benn Act-compliant letter unsigned, and the other letter disavowing the Benn Act letter duly signed: his act has created a genuine issue about compliance with the Benn Act, serious enough to be tried (this is a legal threshold).

A problem of Johnson's own making (months ago during his leadership bid) and, given his track record in the Courts to date, likely yet another attempt to be cute with the spirit/letter of the law that the Court will quash (at your tax-paying expense).

Edited by L00b

29 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

I am not disputing that people go to jail for contempt.  

Those getting the courts involved about the letters are only do so for political reasons and are wasting the court's time.  

I think that the court should decide whether their time  is being wasted, or not.

As a democrat, I’m sure that you agree

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

We have General Elections to decide which Party or Parties decide what is enshrined in law.  

it's almost as if we always were an independent country...

37 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

You’d expect the Prime Minister to comply fully with the law of the land, wouldn’t you?

It sort of goes with the job.

6 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

You’d expect the Prime Minister to comply fully with the law of the land, wouldn’t you?

It sort of goes with the job.

hobinfoot believes like all reasonable  people that the Prime Minster has complied fully with the law of the land which is the point he made.

23 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I think that the court should decide whether their time  is being wasted, or not.

As a democrat, I’m sure that you agree

As a democratic I am entitled to say when I think court time is being wasted just as our Prime Minister is entitled to express his view for an extension to Article 50 is not in the best interest of our country and the EU.

58 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

More importantly it has also been accepted by Tusk and action is being taken by the EU in response to it so basically validating the letter. That will be the sticking point when it comes to the courts.

1 hour ago, hobinfoot said:

No, the Act was to obtain an extension if a deal wasn’t agreed By a certain date. Sending the letter was only part of that process.

That is why the court is reserving judgement until an extension is given. If the second letter disrupts the process and an extension is delayed or even cancelled as a result, then Bozo could be judged to have intentionally undermined the Act.

Bozo has said on many occasions that he doesn’t think an extension is a good idea. Everybody, including the EU knows his position on this. Specifically sending a letter stating this to Brussels, at the same time as sending his request for an extension could be judged as a deliberate attempt to undermine the legislation however if the extension is granted, then the court will almost certainly bow out.

39 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

hobinfoot believes like all reasonable  people that the Prime Minster has complied fully with the law of the land which is the point he made.

As a democratic I am entitled to say when I think court time is being wasted just as our Prime Minister is entitled to express his view for an extension to Article 50 is not in the best interest of our country and the EU.

No.

Surely, as a democrat, you accept all of the outcomes of our democratic institutions.

That will include our courts and our parliament.

Unless you are selective about the bits of democracy that you agree with. 

7 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

No.

Surely, as a democrat, you accept all of the outcomes of our democratic institutions.

That will include our courts and our parliament.

Unless you are selective about the bits of democracy that you agree with. 

I keep saying the same to many remainers on here that still won't accept the referendum result despite it being democratic and valid.