Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

1 hour ago, Albert the Cat said:

With no DUP support and a starting position of -21 MPs from when he started. 

This deal will not win parliamentary support. An extension will happen as 27 member states say they will allow it. 

So what next? I thinking leaving just will not happen without a democratic exercise, most likely a referendum. 

I’m not so sure.

Lots of the 21 will vote for the deal. There is still time for Boris to bribe Arlene some more. And don’t forget those leave labour MPs. If they don’t vote for it, they are electoral toast.

It will be close, and interesting, but I think he might just squeak the deal over the line.

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

A deal with the EU is impossible.

Let's have a clean No Deal Brexit and forget we were ever a part of the cartel.

Clearly not. The UK negotiators have just agreed such a deal with the EU. So it is clearly possible.

No deal, just kicks the can down the road, whilst handing all the advantages to the EU. 

No deal is a stupid idea, backed by stupid people . Your friends Farage and Widdecombe, for example.

19 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

Well, I have a goal where I expect on average that my income rises by 3% ever year. So any adverse effects outside of my control I would like to offset. Doing an extra week of overtime is one way for me to do it. 

That's fair enough.

I've never seen the EU commission so happy- so to me it looks like they benefit rather than the UK.

Nigel Farage says the 'deal' is 95% what May had offered. He states it is a treaty and not the Brexit 52% ppl voted for.

Interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, Mr Fisk said:

I've never seen the EU commission so happy- so to me it looks like they benefit rather than the UK.

(...)

In a nutshell, Johnson's deal is the EU's original proposal, which keeps NI in the EU/SM and lets the UK hard Brexit (respecting  Theresa's Lancaster red lines), before the DUP made Theresa tinker with it in the second half of 2018. So naturally the Commission is well happy: that's a good win for the EU27, and for Ireland in particular.

Johnson's optics are, of course, that he "made" the EU reopen the WA, when they had long said they wouldn't. People wil fall for these optics,  and/or for Führage's own as he now sees political irrelevance looming.

Edited by L00b

11 hours ago, L00b said:

You're being unkind to yourself: a "no deal" Brexit is Nigel's company's sole and only policy, and that is not exactly a state secret - it's been plastered all over the Brexit Party's website, tweets and campaigning for months.

Now, kindly explain to me why he would moan at Juncker's statement, when that statement offers him exactly that "no deal" outcome with the refusal of an extension?

:rolleyes:

So, either Nigel is being hypocritical, or he's denser than a black hole. Which is it?

Yes, indeed it doesn't take reading reply tweets to figure that one out, if you've got an IQ higher than a gerbil...or the average Brexit Party supporter :lol:

You're arguing with yourself about Nigel Farage.   

12 hours ago, janie48 said:

I couldn't help but notice all the warm hugs and shaking of hands from other EU leaders with Boris today, then the Irish PM saying "if leaving doesn't work out for us we'd be welcome back". 

Boris seems to be popular with them all, I thought, or perhaps they're just relieved to be rid of us. 

There is no doubt Boris is liked by the people who meet him.  Theresa May never received such a warm welcome at the EU summits.

7 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

You're arguing with yourself about Nigel Farage.   

Am I now :rolleyes:

They need to vote for the deal.

Its not perfect but nothing will be and nobody knows for sure what the outcome will be.

The alternative, no deal is much more of a risk and remaining will split the country like never before.

Life's about compromise sometimes.

23 minutes ago, Fudbeer said:

Its not perfect but nothing will be and nobody knows for sure what the outcome will be.

The alternative, no deal is much more of a risk and remaining will split the country like never before.

You're exactly correct. The MPs should vote in favour of the new Withdrawal Agreement on offer.  Tory leave supporting MPs are prepared to compromise and support a deal that is not perfect.  Labour MPs should also do the same.  At the end of the day Remain  lost the democratic 2016 EU Referendum vote and remain supporting MPs should also compromise and support the agreement which is better than the default legal option of leaving the EU without a deal.  It's unacceptable in a democratic country for any MP who supported holding the 2016 EU Referendum,  to vote against the new agreement with the aim of getting Brexit stopped and to cheat 17.4 million leave voters out their wish to leave the EU.

2 hours ago, L00b said:

In a nutshell, Johnson's deal is the EU's original proposal, which keeps NI in the EU/SM and lets the UK hard Brexit (respecting  Theresa's Lancaster red lines), before the DUP made Theresa tinker with it in the second half of 2018. So naturally the Commission is well happy: that's a good win for the EU27, and for Ireland in particular.

Johnson's optics are, of course, that he "made" the EU reopen the WA, when they had long said they wouldn't. People wil fall for these optics,  and/or for Führage's own as he now sees political irrelevance looming.

I'm half expecting farage to turn up at the people's vote March on Saturday. He's gone if there's a deal, no matter how awful. He was LBC banging on how the WA is only the start of negotiations. He never mentioned that before!

1 hour ago, Fudbeer said:

Not really, as the older demographic becoming less and less relevant, the so called split will cease to exist. 

30 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

You're exactly correct. The MPs should vote in favour of the new Withdrawal Agreement on offer.  Tory leave supporting MPs are prepared to compromise and support a deal that is not perfect.  Labour MPs should also do the same.  At the end of the day Remain  lost the democratic 2016 EU Referendum vote and remain supporting MPs should also compromise and support the agreement which is better than the default legal option of leaving the EU without a deal.  It's unacceptable in a democratic country for any MP who supported holding the 2016 EU Referendum,  to vote against the new agreement with the aim of getting Brexit stopped and to cheat 17.4 million leave voters out their wish to leave the EU.

The deal will die in Parliament it absolutely will not be voted through. The SNP do not support it, neither do the DUP or Lib Dems. Labour is enforcing a three line whip against it, so any Labour MP that votes for the deal will be expelled from the party. The 21 former Tory MPs will vote against it. Johnson is -40 votes from getting a majority. 

We do not live in a delegated democracy. It is absolutely correct in political and legal standpoints that the MPs do what they need to for the good of the country. No reasonable person will allow a disaster to happen if it can be avoided. You need to understand the difference between delegation and representative. 

11 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I'm half expecting farage to turn up at the people's vote March on Saturday. He's gone if there's a deal, no matter how awful. He was LBC banging on how the WA is only the start of negotiations. He never mentioned that before!

Nigel Farage started throwing his toys out of the pram weeks ago when Boris made it clear there wouldn't be a General Election pact between the Tory Party and the Brexit Party.

Edited by Lockdoctor