Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

49 minutes ago, Obelix said:

You are either mistaken or speaking through malice. That is not what Juncker said at all.

Fake news never helps anyone. Juncker has not ruled out an extension. He was speaking about his approach to dealing with Boris

"The European Commission President says he spoke to Boris Johnson 30 minutes ago about the prospect of an extension.

Jean-Claude Juncker told reporters: "I was ruling out that there would be any kind of prolongation.

"If we have a deal we have a deal and there is no need for prolongation."

Me bold, I agree...

Here is what he has said to reporters in his latest video clip on the BBC:

After being annoyed at being interrupted... 

Reporter: "Are you going to rule out an extension?"

Junker: "That's what I was saying."

Reporter: "You are going to actually say officially that you are ruling out an extension first?"

Junker: "Yes, we have a deal so why should we have a prolongation."

It helps to have the full facts...

Although I agree with L00b that he is not the person who makes the decision, he the one who would put forward any proposals to be voted on and will also hold some influence. I think it's also safe to assume that the rest (27) want this concluded ASAP. But... its now back in parliaments court so we will have to wait and see how brave they are in making a decision.

Edited by apelike

53 minutes ago, Obelix said:

You are either mistaken or speaking through malice. That is not what Juncker said at all.

Fake news never helps anyone. Juncker has not ruled out an extension. He was speaking about his approach to dealing with Boris

"The European Commission President says he spoke to Boris Johnson 30 minutes ago about the prospect of an extension.

Jean-Claude Juncker told reporters: "I was ruling out that there would be any kind of prolongation.

"If we have a deal we have a deal and there is no need for prolongation."

The BBC News channel had a Breaking News banner stating Juncker had ruled out an extension.  Don't shoot the messenger.

50 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You are mistaking what Juncker is saying.

He is saying that there is no need to extend the time needed to complete this deal. If Parliament rejects it, then we are back to square one with Bozo having to go back to Brussels as per the terms of the Benn Act.

The Benn Act was done because Parliament didn't trust Boris to seriously negotiate a new deal with the EU.   Parliament has been proved wrong.   Leaving the EU on the 31st October is the default legal position if Parliament reject the new Withdrawal Agreement on offer negotiated by Boris.

Edited by Lockdoctor

49 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You are mistaking what Juncker is saying.

He is saying that there is no need to extend the time needed to complete this deal. If Parliament rejects it, then we are back to square one with Bozo having to go back to Brussels as per the terms of the Benn Act.

No that's not what he is saying. 

He was asked what would happen if the deal didn't pass. He said 'I hope it will. I am convinced it will. If it doesn't there will be no prolongation'.  

He certainly did not say if the deal did not pass they would start to negotiate a new deal. It is worth remembering however it is not within Juncker's power to refuse or grant an extension if requested. It is up to the EU 27. 

2 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The Benn Act was done because Parliament didn't trust Boris to seriously negotiate a new deal with the EU. 

No, the Benn Act was to ensure that Bozo would not take us out of the EU without a deal which was something that he was promising during the Tory leadership campaign to appeal to the extrmists.

Just now, Robin-H said:

He certainly did not say if the deal did not pass they would start to negotiate a new deal. 

An extension was never meant to be to facilitate endless negotiations.

Any extension granted would be break the log jam by providing extra time for either another UK referendum or a General Election to reconfigure Parliament.

This is still the case.

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

No, the Benn Act was to ensure that Bozo would not take us out of the EU without a deal which was something that he was promising during the Tory leadership campaign to appeal to the extrmists.

Again, that's not true.

Boris did not promise to take the UK out the EU without a deal during the Tory leadership campaign. He said he wanted a deal, but that a no deal option must be on the table. 

1 minute ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Boris will not be taking the UK out of the EU without a deal because it will be Parliament doing that if they reject the new deal on offer.  Parliament made leaving the EU without a deal the default legal position when they overwhelmingly voted to trigger Article 50 not Boris.

2 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Boris will not be taking the UK out of the EU without a deal because it will be Parliament doing that if they reject the new deal on offer.  Parliament made leaving the EU without a deal the default legal position when they overwhelmingly voted to trigger Article 50 not Boris.

If Parliament rejects the deal on Saturday (and that is the strongest likelihood at this time), either Johnson will request an extension under the Benn Act, or the Court of Sessions will if he doesn’t (-whilst he gets arraigned because of it).

Irrespective, currently it doesn’t look like you’ll be leaving by 31 October. Sadly.

11 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

An extension was never meant to be to facilitate endless negotiations.

Any extension granted would be break the log jam by providing extra time for either another UK referendum or a General Election to reconfigure Parliament.

This is still the case.

There is absolutely no guarantee that either of those options would break the log jam at all. The only guaranteed way of breaking the log jam and moving forward is either no leave with a deal or leave on the 31st without a deal. 

7 minutes ago, L00b said:

If Parliament rejects the deal on Saturday (and that is the strongest likelihood at this time), either Johnson will request an extension under the Benn Act, or the Court of Sessions will if he doesn’t (-whilst he gets arraigned because of it).

Irrespective, currently it doesn’t look like you’ll be leaving by 31 October. Sadly.

28 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The BBC News channel had a Breaking News banner stating Juncker had ruled out an extension.  Don't shoot the messenger.

I'll shoot any messenger bearing false facts like you have. Juncker cannot rule out an extension because it's not in his power to do so! As for the weasel known as Farage nothing would surprise me - if the mans mouth is moving you know he is lying.

Edited by Obelix

6 minutes ago, Obelix said:

I'll shoot any messenger bearing false facts like you have. Juncker cannot rule out an extension because it's not in his power to do so! As for the weasel known as Farage nothing would surprise me - if the mans mouth is moving you know he is lying.

You need to calm down. Take your anger out with the BBC and not me.  The BBC News are saying Juncker has ruled out another extension and he wouldn't support granting one if one was asked for.

Edited by Lockdoctor