Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

54 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

I think Jo Swinson will make a good cherry-picker when she doesn't become Prime Minister after the next General Election.

I think she and her family have a lot to gain from the EU:

Swinson fails to declare family company was given 3.5m euro by the European Union

https://nyebevannews.co.uk/swinson-fails-to-declare-family-company-was-given-3-5m-euro-by-the-european-union/

11 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

I think she and her family have a lot to gain from the EU:

Swinson fails to declare family company was given 3.5m euro by the European Union

https://nyebevannews.co.uk/swinson-fails-to-declare-family-company-was-given-3-5m-euro-by-the-european-union/

The same could be said about Rees- Mogg’s hedge fund. 

What you are missing is what is for the general good of the country that benefits the majority. 

If you want the thousands of workers in Sunderland, Swindon and Burnaston losing their jobs is a good idea, then support Leave. 

9 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

The same could be said about Rees- Mogg’s hedge fund. 

What you are missing is what is for the general good of the country that benefits the majority. 

If you want the thousands of workers in Sunderland, Swindon and Burnaston losing their jobs is a good idea, then support Leave. 

Brexit has nothing to do with recent changes in the car industry.  Honda has't blamed Brexit for their decision to close the plant in Swindon.  The new trade deal or economic partnership between Japan and the EU would have still happened regardless of the democratic 2016 EU referendum result.   Job losses happen all the time as market forces change and new jobs are also created in the changing World.  Brexit has caused uncertainty and is also a convenient excuse to be used to justify uncomfortable decisions made by big business owners.

2 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

Jo Swinson the Lib Dems leader said on Sky News this morning that the Scottish Independent Referendum result should be respected and there is no justification for another Scottish Independence Referendum.  BUT she doesn't say the same about the 2016 EU Referendum result and supports another EU Referendum with Remain  on the ballot paper because she doesn't like the 2016 result.   I think Jo Swinson will make a good cherry-picker when she doesn't become Prime Minister after the next General Election.

Wasn't she also saying she'd support a deal if there was a referendum vote on the deal ?

Can't see how that'd work, takes ages to sort a referendum out, mp's vote the deal thru and we leave on the 30th right??

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

Brexit has nothing to do with recent changes in the car industry.  Honda has't blamed Brexit for their decision to close the plant in Swindon.  The new trade deal or economic partnership between Japan and the EU would have still happened regardless of the democratic 2016 EU referendum result.   Job losses happen all the time as market forces change and new jobs are also created in the changing World.  Brexit has caused uncertainty and is also a convenient excuse to be used to justify uncomfortable decisions made by big business owners.

You obviously missed (or ignored) last weeks news I posted about Nissan Sunderland explicitly warning about the dangers of a no deal Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/10/nissan-no-deal-brexit-would-jeopardise-entire-european-business-model

Gianluca de Ficchy, the chairman of Nissan Europe, said the imposition of a 10% tariff on exports under World Trade Organisation (WTO) terms would threaten the future of its large Sunderland plant.

“If we are in a situation in which tomorrow we have to apply 10% export duties to 70% of our sales, the entire business model for Nissan Europe will be in jeopardy,” he said.

7 minutes ago, geared said:

Wasn't she also saying she'd support a deal if there was a referendum vote on the deal ?

Can't see how that'd work, takes ages to sort a referendum out, mp's vote the deal thru and we leave on the 30th right??

Jo Swinson  supports moving the goalposts again.  She said she  won't support any deal but will support a confirmation referendum vote on a deal with remaining in the EU being the other choice on the ballot paper.  However, she has already stated she wouldn't support the result of another referendum if it delivered another leave majority.   

What is happening is shameful because Parliament passed legislation to stop Boris from leaving the EU without a deal,  stating the reason was they didn't trust him to even try to negotiate a new deal with the EU.  Now against all the odds with his hands tied behind his back Boris is close to getting a new deal with the EU and Parliament still seek to block the implementation of Brexit by attaching a confirmation referendum clause.   There was no mention of any confirmation referendum vote when Parliament triggered Artice 50 and made leaving the EU without a deal the legal default position. 

As you correctly pointed out any referendum will take months to organise and you can guarantee there will be legal challenges to the wording and questions asked on the ballot paper.

20 hours ago, geared said:

This has been on the cards for a while though I believe, support for the DUP in NI is falling fast and they're due to lose their ass in the next election.

Ah, well, according to today's FT, they might yet secure Big Bung no.2 from Johnson. "Into the billions, not millions" we are told. So that might yet earn them a bit more time.

Obviously that's on top of Theresa's Big Bung no.1 (£1bn), and the pile of undue subsidies they'd already made out of the "cash for ash" swindle.

Political illiterates they may be, but they're not half-bad capitalists :D

My oh my, that £66bn cost of Brexit to date is increasing rather fast. How many hospitals is that? I'll take an answer in red buses if you wish :lol:

13 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Best get your pencil sharpened for that second referendum 

Latest poll news from Sir John Curtice on the BBC, as I know many on here love polls.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50043549

4 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

I think Jo Swinson will make a good cherry-picker when she doesn't become Prime Minister after the next General Election.

Jo Swinson also stated in 2008 that the UK should have an "in-out" referendum but now she does not agree on the result after one was held.

Edited by apelike

6 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

Our current economy is going to tank. World economic growth forecast for 2020 is set to be 3% because of the ongoing trade wars and new ones due to start. The last time 3% was seen was back in 2008. Remember what happened then? 

Yes, the poorer in our society were the ones who were mainly hit by austerity with cuts to services etc. This time it will also include the rich and affluent as their shares, profits and pensions tank.

Edited by apelike

20 minutes ago, apelike said:

Yes, the poorer in our society were the ones who were mainly hit by austerity with cuts to services etc. This time it will also include the rich and affluent as their shares, profits and pensions tank.

You assume that they have not safeguarded their asset base against Brexit-related risks.

It is a naive assumption: over the past 12 months and crumbs, I've seen many of them stroll into the neighbours' offices (relocated from the City) non-stop here in Luxembourg. The latest estimate I've seen, about 2 months ago IIRC, is £800bn's worth of assets already transferred out of the UK.