Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Reasons for why they voted are very much up for debate as there is no conclusive evidence regarding that.

They are not in the least bit up for debate.

Every post-referendum study agree that the three top reasons for voting Leave were

1. Immigration

2. Sovereignty

3. Payments to the EU.

Bendy bananas, blue passports, sticking it to the man etc. made up the remaining reasons.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Because it was unnecessary as that is not down to the voters but the politicians dealing with how we leave. 

And how is that going?

26 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

[Or, rather, to globalised investors.  Whether or not they carry a UK passport is neither here nor there.  Indeed, it's these globalised investors who are the real "citizens of nowhere".]

This was the point that I was trying to make the other day to those thinking that Brexit was some great, flag-waving, nationalist exercise. That couldn’t be further from the truth. Post Brexit, the UK will simply be another cost centre in a global accounts book.

So not only are poor people being mugged off by Brexit, but so are nationalists. The reality is that Project Brexit is designed to benefit very few people. Even though some people may be satisfied to have their 2016 vote to leave enacted, that elation will soon wear off as they get older, poorer and sicker.

Do ex-miners from Barnsley and ex-shipyard workers from Sunderland really think that they are going to be better off if the UK leaves the EU.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

They are not in the least bit up for debate.

Every post-referendum study agree that the three top reasons for voting Leave were

1. Immigration

2. Sovereignty

3. Payments to the EU.

Or course they are as they are only polls and they all didn't agree the same. In any case that has nothing to do with the fact that the only question people were asked that can be quantified is if they voted leave or remain. Leave came out the winners so it does not matter what the top reasons were now. We were actually discussing that and I notice how you have now shifted emphasis.

14 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Do ex-miners from Barnsley and ex-shipyard workers from Sunderland really think that they are going to be better off if the UK leaves the EU.

There are many ways to be better off besides financially and that bit has yet to be determined.

14 minutes ago, apelike said:

There are many ways to be better off besides financially and that bit has yet to be determined.

Tell someone who is struggling to pay their rent or feed their kids that! 😡

5 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Tell someone who is struggling to pay their rent or feed their kids that! 😡

Are they struggling to pay the rent and feed their kids now or is that just what you think, like most remainers on here, that will happen because of brexit.

Edited by apelike

I agree, you can see that in action especially on SF. When leavers have been labeled and slurred the way they have just because others don't agree with the way they have voted its hardly surprising.

PS I have a big beaming smile on my face as I am an ex miner from Barnsley and worked down Dodworth pit...

Edited by apelike

24 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

These days, the main reason people tend to give for continuing to support Brexit is "because we voted for it".  

Every leave supporter seen in TV and Radio vox-pops repeats the same mantra. “I voted Leave and we should get out”. Never any attempt to say why leaving would be a good thing.

This went even further on the BBC ‘Tories at War’ show last week, when a constituent of uber-Brextremist Andrew Bridgen was asked why Britain should leave the EU. She replied. “I don’t really know anything about it but I think we should get out’.

I suspect that in another referendum, many of these people won’t bother to vote.

34 minutes ago, apelike said:

Are they struggling to pay the rent and feed their kids now or is that just what you think, 

Are you seriously suggesting that there is no poverty in the UK?

10 hours ago, apelike said:

Not really as I never saw any of the media campaigns as I don't watch TV or buy newspapers. 

Although I'm pretty sure you read online versions of newspapers given that you've linked to articles in them often enough 😎

Reading online versions and and avoiding "media campaigns" .............unlikely.

7 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Although I'm pretty sure you read online versions of newspapers given that you've linked to articles in them often enough 😎

Reading online versions and and avoiding "media campaigns" .............unlikely.

Proclaiming ignorance of issues and blaming others for this mess, are hallmarks of the leave cult.

In Apelike’s case, if he really hasn’t engaged with any media reports of the effects of Brexit, I do wonder why he is such an enthusiastic proponent of it.

4 hours ago, apelike said:

I agree, you can see that in action especially on SF. When leavers have been labeled and slurred the way they have just because others don't agree with the way they have voted its hardly surprising.

Rubbish.

Leavers on here have been repeatedly asked to give some kind of justification for Brexit and all you get is the same tired old ‘the people voted for it so it has to happen. mantra.

5 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Are you seriously suggesting that there is no poverty in the UK?

Er no... Its you that seems to be suggesting that the poverty experienced now is somehow related to it though by changing the context of the discussion on brexit. I though this thread was for discussing brexit related news anyway and my reply was regarding that. Notice this last bit in the last sentence of your post ".... think that they are going to be better off if the UK leaves the EU."

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

No, I only read the BBC news and the only time I watched any brexit related stuff was when the results of the referendum was live on the BBC web site. Linking to news articles is common on here as I doubt many actually read all the newspapers so its handy to read and link to them to debunk or clarify a point.

As stated I don't read on-line versions of the news. I don't think the BBC have any media campaign either and as far as I know don't publish a newspaper.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

In Apelike’s case, if he really hasn’t engaged with any media reports of the effects of Brexit, I do wonder why he is such an enthusiastic proponent of it.

Unlike many on here I can actually make up my own mind and come to my own conclusions without being a media addict being told what to think.

Edited by apelike