Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

16 minutes ago, Longcol said:

It also means we'll need to negotiate a trade deal with our largest trading partner unless we want to trade on unfavourable WTO terms - I'm sure we'll get favourable treatment after flouncing off.

Brexit isn't the end of our involvement with the EU - it's the start of a new one for which we appear totally ill prepared.

And at the risk of belabouring an oft-made point, such post-Brexit day negotiations will only begin, once the UK has adequately addressed the 3 EU red lines: Brexit divorce bill, citizen's rights, Irish border/backstop.

No settlement on liabilities, no ringfenced rights for EU27 immigrants, no backstop = stay at the back of the queue and enjoy life on WTO terms.

I'm hearing that at least 15% of UK-based manufacturers have contingency exit plans poised to start on no deal Brexit day +1. One Irish acquaintance is a senior exec for a German automotive parts manufacturer with 2 UK sites employing approx. 2000: both sites and all 2000 jobs will be gone from the UK inside 6 weeks from a no deal Brexit on 31st October. Merry Xmas.

Edited by L00b

5 hours ago, Pettytom said:

If the ERG had voted for Theresa May”s deal we would have left the EU months ago.

Don’t blame remainers for fighting for what they believe in. The  real culprit is much closer to home.

As for the Lib Dem’s, I see nothing wrong with them fighting the next GE on a revoke article 50 platform.. I might even vote for them. 

In this case, I’m not personally attacking another poster.  

I’m also stating  a truth.

May`s deal did NOT take us out , it kept us tied to the suits in Brussels because of the backstop , which could have meant we could only leave if and when they said so . It was nothing more than a white flag waving, surrender document.  So to say May`s deal would have taken us out is utterly untrue. 

18 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Even Johnson’s cheerleaders at the Daily Telegraph are saying that walking off like a spoilt child has damaged him.

Boris offered to do a joint press conference in side but the Luxembourg Prime Minister refused.  The UK wouldn't play a cheap stunt like Luxembourg did on a foreign leader.

11 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The UK wouldn't play a cheap stunt like Luxembourg did on a foreign leader.

Bets?

Since Johnson came to power he's given us nothing but cheap stunts (and a few defeats in Parliament).

The British Prime Minister ran away from a small crowd of British protestors.

But yes, let's blame Luxembourg.

Edited by ads36

27 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Boris offered to do a joint press conference in side but the Luxembourg Prime Minister refused.  The UK wouldn't play a cheap stunt like Luxembourg did on a foreign leader.

No.10 requested an indoor venue. The local press room is too small to accomodate all 140 reporters, so No.10 suggested to select only some reporters. That was deemed by the GD office to be unfair to the unselected reporters, fully in accordance with the duty of impartiality owed by public servants in Luxembourg, which is strictly and rigorously enforced.

Johnson was perfectly entitled to at least try to hold his own at the lectern, then to walk away if the 50 to 75 protesters (including  one baby, and a pup named Luna) did not pipe down (which they would have, as they had been requested to do so during the presser by the reporters in attendance; LBC/Nick Ferrari this morning) and if local security failed to contain the disturbance. That would have been a genuine 'win' for Johnson and would have genuinely shown up his host. But he chickened out, so that's that.

The UK doesn't need to do cheap stunts: it does cheap insults at the EU27 and EU figures very reliably and regularly, has done for over 3 years now.

Brighten up, Bettel's impassioned speech (100% premeditated, to be sure) is the political message which you've been waiting for 3 years: the EU is out of patience with your domestic infighting, and now perfectly ready to let you get out without a deal next month.

See, 'told you before: GTFO, sort your **** out, then let's talk when you've come to your senses if you wish. Just so long as you understand that this isn't going to be a discussion between equals, no more than the Brexit/WA negotiations ever were.

Edited by L00b

18 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

If he couldn’t handle that then he is going to find PMQ time hard going.

30 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

May`s deal did NOT take us out , it kept us tied to the suits in Brussels because of the backstop , which could have meant we could only leave if and when they said so . It was nothing more than a white flag waving, surrender document.  So to say May`s deal would have taken us out is utterly untrue. 

May’s deal is as good as it is going to get. That’s the only basis on which we will be able to leave, yet interact sensibly with the EU.

The ERG are to blame for us not taking the deal. In time, they will  pay the price for their extremism.

52 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Even Johnson’s cheerleaders at the Daily Telegraph are saying that walking off like a spoilt child has damaged him.

The Telegraph are turning slowly.

Maybe their extremist stance is costing them readers.

I cancelled my subscription last month. When  they asked me why, I cited the appalling standard of their current journalism. The girl on the phone didn’t sound even slightly surprised.

The Barclay brothers have had a good shot at protecting their tax position by championing no deal. Maybe they’ve realised that it’s just not a popular stance for a national newspaper.

37 minutes ago, L00b said:

And at the risk of belabouring an oft-made point, such post-Brexit day negotiations will only begin, once the UK has adequately addressed the 3 EU red lines: Brexit divorce bill, citizen's rights, Irish border/backstop.

No settlement on liabilities, no ringfenced rights for EU27 immigrants, no backstop = stay at the back of the queue and enjoy life on WTO terms.

I'm hearing that at least 15% of UK-based manufacturers have contingency exit plans poised to start on no deal Brexit day +1. One Irish acquaintance is a senior exec for a German automotive parts manufacturer with 2 UK sites employing approx. 2000: both sites and all 2000 jobs will be gone from the UK inside 6 weeks from a no deal Brexit on 31st October. Merry Xmas.

And of course as all our trade deals with the rest of the non-EU world will have to be renegotiated.

Progress so far is not encouraging.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-trade-agreements-with-non-eu-countries-in-a-no-deal-brexit

54 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

May`s deal did NOT take us out 

I think you will find that it would have. 

Under May’s deal, we would have no longer been legally a member of the EU. Just because that is not enough for an extreme Brexit supporter like you does not change that fact.

And it was only a withdrawal agreement. A stopping point, allowing trade to continue freely, while the actual deal was fast-tracked.

We'd be out by now, with a Canada-deal that even remainers like me could have (begrudgingly) got behind.

Edited by ads36

2 hours ago, Longcol said:

Bets?

Since Johnson came to power he's given us nothing but cheap stunts (and a few defeats in Parliament).

You would lose your bet.  Our country regardless of who is Prime Minister will continue to respect foreign leaders who visit our country.  The Luxembourg Prime Minister is an embarrassment to his own country.