Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

Various food factorys are all quite worried, especially those dealing with fruits (so most sweet products)

They import most fruit currently due to the vast quantities needed, with import tariffs these factorys could quickly close. 

Another stream of people off down the job centre.

12 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Now we just need veg pickers. You up to do that job?

Most in-season veg is not picked by hand but by machine. Getting back to some other comments; a shortage of process foods may be a good thing as they are linked to obesity and a shortage of out of season fruit and veg is not much of a problem to most.

4 minutes ago, geared said:

Various food factorys are all quite worried, especially those dealing with fruits (so most sweet products)

They import most fruit currently due to the vast quantities needed, with import tariffs these factorys could quickly close. 

Not really as most of these factories are mainly automated anyhow and employ few staff to do physical work.

8 minutes ago, geared said:

According to Tinfoils post jobs will be available.

Just now, retep said:

According to Tinfoils post jobs will be available.

In fairness the premise was based on the assumption we can suddenly go from growing 60% of our food needs to 100% in 8 weeks.

10 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Most in-season veg is not picked by hand but by machine. Getting back to some other comments; a shortage of process foods may be a good thing as they are linked to obesity and a shortage of out of season fruit and veg is not much of a problem to most.

Not really as most of these factories are mainly automated anyhow and employ few staff to do physical work.

There are 390k employed in food and drink manufacturing in the UK.

7 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

There are 390k employed in food and drink manufacturing in the UK.

That may be true for the whole industry but geared was talking  about most sweet products, which incidentally rely mainly on already processed syrups and flavourings for inclusion in sweet products and not imported fresh produce.

Edited by Dromedary

11 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

That may be true for the whole industry but geared was talking  about most sweet products, which incidentally rely mainly on already processed syrups and flavourings for inclusion in sweet products and not imported fresh produce.

No I was talking about imported fresh produce, so the people making those various bits and pieces.

Jam for example imports lots of fruit to make a product that is sold domestically.

Although processed syrups and flavourings also have to come from somewhere, either made here or imported and it's the need to import (and pay a tariff) that is the real worry.

Edited by geared

4 minutes ago, geared said:

No I was talking about imported fresh produce, so the people making those various bits and pieces.

Jam for example imports lots of fruit to make a product that is sold domestically.

Oh I see, sorry when you said sweet products I though you meant stuff like Haribo etc make. But a jam shortage is not very problematic either, in fact I dont know anyone who buys it!

12 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Oh I see, sorry when you said sweet products I though you meant stuff like Haribo etc make. But a jam shortage is not very problematic either, in fact I dont know anyone who buys it!

Jam consumption has dropped alot - only worth £106m if I read it right. Peanut butter is up up up and we don't grow enough peanuts.

52 minutes ago, geared said:

Although processed syrups and flavourings also have to come from somewhere, either made here or imported and it's the need to import (and pay a tariff) that is the real worry.

Manufacturers will just do the normal and use "shrinkflation" to combat any rise in costs. In any case if people are made redundant then that also solves the problem of who will pick the veg!

1 hour ago, retep said:

Here's food for thought,

"Self-sufficiency Day: Farming growth plan needed"

https://www.nfuonline.com/self-sufficiency-day-farming-growth-plan-needed/

Haha.

I run two allotments, two greenhouses and a huge poly tunnel.

Would you like to know what grows here in the winter?

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

But a jam shortage is not very problematic either, in fact I dont know anyone who buys it!

You could say that for most industry though, it's only really a problem for those working there who end up out of a job.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

Haha.

I run two allotments, two greenhouses and a huge poly tunnel.

Would you like to know what grows here in the winter?

Cannabis? 😆

On a serious note though, theres no shortage of illegal drugs in the country which are incredibly difficult to get through customs.

Edited by lil-minx92