Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

13 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It was no more a referendum for everyone than if I started a poll on here about who is the greatest Grand Prix driver then tried to claim that everyone on SF thinks that Michael Schumacher is the greatest even though only those who bothered to partake were those interested in Formula One.

I don’t remember a single remain supporter calling for a referendum.

We were all allowed to vote it’s immaterial who wanted one. We don’t always want a GE but take part.

13 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It was no more a referendum for everyone than if I started a poll on here about who is the greatest Grand Prix driver then tried to claim that everyone on SF thinks that Michael Schumacher is the greatest even though only those who bothered to partake were those interested in Formula One.

I don’t remember a single remain supporter calling for a referendum.

Here's one,

Mr Cameron, who led the Remain side in the referendum, resigned after people voted by 52% to 48% to leave the EU.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

If it's normal to prorogue parliament, why did a succession of ministers go to the trouble of stating that in these circumstances it would be a terrible thing to do?

Because they wrongly assumed parliament was going to to be prorogued until 1st November.  The new session of Parliament will start in October before our country leaves the EU.  

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

It’s a pretty embarrassing stunt by Johnson. Aside from a few extremist Brexiters and a some self-entitled politicians, hardly anyone has a good word for this.

Not at all embarrassing.  Boris is eager to get on implementing the 2016 democratic EU referendum result and to give other important issues the attention they deserve in the new session of Parliament. I am looking forward to the Queen's speech to hear what Boris is planning to do in the next year after our country has left the EU.  Boris has the makings to be one of our country's best Prime Ministers in recent times. 

3 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

We were all allowed to vote it’s immaterial who wanted one. We don’t always want a GE but take part.

It certainly is not immaterial who wanted one, as it defines who most want to vote and affects the result. It is no surprise that 60-70% of those who didn’t vote supported Remain.

The only way the 2016 referendum would have had any democratic relevance is if it had been compulsory and a ‘win margin’ had been defined to avoid the ludicrous situation where the day after the referendum, polls showed that enough leave voters had changed their minds to reverse the vote.

Huge Grant the actor who use to pick up prostitutes has the nerve to call Johnson, 

an over promoted rubber bath toy, for messing with his children’s future.  

What a fine specimen Grant is to his daughter, the man who was prosecuted for picking up prostitutes. 

If Grant had to pick up sex workers when he was in a relationship with a good looking woman like Elizabeth Hurley, he will still be at it today, looking for rubber sex toys to have fun with.

14 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It certainly is not immaterial who wanted one, as it defines who most want to vote and affects the result. It is no surprise that 60-70% of those who didn’t vote supported Remain.

The only way the 2016 referendum would have had any democratic relevance is if it had been compulsory and a ‘win margin’ had been defined to avoid the ludicrous situation where the day after the referendum, polls showed that enough leave voters had changed their minds to reverse the vote.

I’ve said many times if you didn’t have a good reason not to vote I’ve no sympathy. So if you’re claim about 60-70% is right it makes no difference they had a choice.

25 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Because they wrongly assumed parliament was going to to be prorogued until 1st November.  The new session of Parliament will start in October before our country leaves the EU.  

Not at all embarrassing.  Boris is eager to get on implementing the 2016 democratic EU referendum result and to give other important issues the attention they deserve in the new session of Parliament. I am looking forward to the Queen's speech to hear what Boris is planning to do in the next year after our country has left the EU.  Boris has the makings to be one of our country's best Prime Ministers in recent times. 

I think that's an important point.

Boris is still leaving an avenue open for the ratification of a withdrawal agreement. If he was set on a no deal, he could have prorogued parliament until after the 31st, which would have prevented any sort of deal. It also means that there will be time, both before and after the prorogation, for the remain factions in parliament to get their act together, use a  Standing Order 24 to get an emergency debate on forcing government to ask for an Article 50 extension. Although against precedent, Bercow will undoubtedly allow it. 

12 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

I’ve said many times if you didn’t have a good reason not to vote I’ve no sympathy. So if you’re claim about 60-70% is right it makes no difference they had a choice.

This is nothing to do with who voted and who didn’t vote. 

I am simply saying that as an indication of popular feeling on EU membership, the 2016 referendum is pretty meaningless and is certainly not a democratic mandate for anything.

If anyone  ever doubted the ability of politicians to lie through their teeth for their own self interest then watch Johnson,Gove ,Rees Mogg and any number of others that are wheeled out to insist that the latest shenanigans are not Brexit related.

We are just treated with contempt.

10 minutes ago, RJRB said:

If anyone  ever doubted the ability of politicians to lie through their teeth for their own self interest then watch Johnson,Gove ,Rees Mogg and any number of others that are wheeled out to insist that the latest shenanigans are not Brexit related.

That is hilarious given the circumstances when we have MPs wishing to pass a law saying our country can't leave the EU without a deal.  The truth is  to rule out  a no-deal is the same as our country remaining in the EU.  If you believe Johnson, Gove  and Rees -Mogg  are involved in shenanigans then be honest enough to acknowledge those wishing to take no-deal of the table are also involved in shenanigans.

Edited by Lockdoctor

36 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Huge Grant the actor who use to pick up prostitutes has the nerve to call Johnson, 

an over promoted rubber bath toy, for messing with his children’s future.  

What a fine specimen Grant is to his daughter, the man who was prosecuted for picking up prostitutes. 

If Grant had to pick up sex workers when he was in a relationship with a good looking woman like Elizabeth Hurley, he will still be at it today, looking for rubber sex toys to have fun with.

Twisted childlike logic there. Whatever his past it doesn’t mean he doesn’t care about his kids. In fact his mistakes might make him care more for all you know.

11 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Last night Channel Four News played interviews with Gove, Javid, Raab, Rudd and other cabinet ministers saying that proroguing Parliament was out of order and something that they would never support.