Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

23 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

I personally can’t remember it being said this was an advisory referendum only.

Can you quote for us the part of the European Union Referendum Act 2015 which mandated the government to act on the result?

5 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

It may not have been legally binding but I believe it morally right once a referendum has been allowed the result should be excepted just like the last one on Europe was.

Absolutely correct, what's the point in over thirty five million people turning out to make a binary choice in a referendum,  it one of the choices won't be implemented?  In any case Parliament made the result legally binding when they passed legislation to put into law our country is leaving  the EU and also voted in favour of triggering Article 50 making leaving the EU without a deal the default legal position.

16 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

It may not have been legally binding but I believe it morally right once a referendum has been allowed the result should be excepted just like the last one on Europe was.

But hold on - the last referendum overturned that one and by doing so stamped all over the democratic choice of the people.

If they had the chance to overturn that one, we should have the chance to overturn this one - not time constrained, when the popular mandate wants it - which is now.

But democracy loses out to the fascist cheating lying misogynistic unelected PM we have now.

4 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Absolutely correct, what's the point in over thirty five million people turning out to make a binary choice in a referendum,  it one of the choices won't be implemented?  In any case Parliament made the result legally binding when they passed legislation to put into law our country is leaving  the EU and also voted in favour of triggering Article 50 making leaving the EU without a deal the default legal position.

But they can just as easily revoke the law - it's what democracy is all about.

23 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Why?

Neither side even got 40% of the electorate’s support so its democratic validity is ‘very weak’ at best. 

It was also a referendum for leave supporters, to it was no surprise that leave got more votes than remain.

2 minutes ago, Litotes said:

But hold on - the last referendum overturned that one and by doing so stamped all over the democratic choice of the people.

If they had the chance to overturn that one, we should have the chance to overturn this one - not time constrained, when the popular mandate wants it - which is now.

But democracy loses out to the fascist cheating lying misogynistic unelected PM we have now.

2 minutes ago, Litotes said:

We can have another referendum in the future after a number of years has passed. And we don’t elect a prime minister we elect a party so the PM is the legitimate leader.

5 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Why?

Neither side even got 40% of the electorate’s support so its democratic validity is ‘very weak’ at best. 

It was also a referendum for leave supporters, to it was no surprise that leave got more votes than remain.

It was a  referendum for everyone we on the remain side didn’t get enough votes it’s simple maths. Leave got 52% remain 48% of those who could be bothered to vote. I’ve no sympathy for those who didn’t vote without good reason.

3 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

Democracy is delivering the result of the referendum. What is undemocratic is trying to stop Brexit. 

I'll ask the question again since you are using your usual swerve tactics

Are you that scared of democracy?

I'll ask it until you answer and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

36 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

We can have another referendum in the future after a number of years has passed. And we don’t elect a prime minister we elect a party so the PM is the legitimate leader.

And how many years is that? or is it when popular opinion feels a vote is needed, which is now...

Or is that not democratic?

24 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

It was a  referendum for everyone we on the remain side didn’t get enough votes it’s simple maths. Leave got 52% remain 48% of those who could be bothered to vote. I’ve no sympathy for those who didn’t vote without good reason.

It was no more a referendum for everyone than if I started a poll on here about who is the greatest Grand Prix driver then tried to claim that everyone on SF thinks that Michael Schumacher is the greatest even though only those who bothered to partake were those interested in Formula One.

I don’t remember a single remain supporter calling for a referendum.

I pity the poor beleavers when they look back on this day as the day when democracy died in the UK - and it was by their doing.

What we are seeing happen is a fascist dictator ignore the wishes of the majority and steamroller his desires onto the people of the UK.

The UK voted leave, but not this leave, we were promised a deal, but haven't got one, because the people who promised us it, didn't understand the detail behind the GF agreement, or Gibraltar.

They are ignorant, as are many of their supporters - ignorant of what the impact will be to the UK as a whole, to the NHS, to the construction sector, to the manufacturing sector.

The pound has fallen massively against the dollar and the euro since the decision to leave (commit financial suicide) and it won't recover for decades. We are now in the G15 not the G7 and the BoJo army are trying to shake the magic money tree they derided TM over. We are the Argentina of the 2020s.

Batten down the hatches and watch the BeLeavers claim "It's not our fault".

Au revior

If Ruth Davison wants to make a real difference tomorrow, she should resign from the Tory party and at a sweep make Johnson the Prime Minister of a minority government.