Spot Vs Insect Bite. Can You Feel The Difference?!

So, the hot weather has brought little biters out in full force. Insects have been feasting on my flesh, and I'm sporting a few bites, or are they spots? My diet hasn't been the best of late, and I believe I have at least one spot on the side of my chin. Possibly, another one on my neck; but, maybe it's an insect bite?

Anyhow, it kind of itches, and I'm wondering if that means it's a bite, rather than a spot. I mean, spots don't itch do they?

I guess they're 2 very different processes, and you only get itching with a bite, because of how your body reacts to an external stimulus. Anyhow, is that correct? Can you feel the difference between a spot and a bite?

Edited by Waldo

Also, what to use to stop the itching?!

Spots can itch depending why they have appeared in the first place. There is such a thing as heat rash too.

I have idiopathic urticaria, meaning I have rashes or spots appear for no known reason and at times they drive me mad itching. Ask at the chemists for something to calm it down maybe you just need a cheap antihistamine tablet or cream. 

Midges love me and spot me from a  mile away so home in on me.  I always keep antihistamines handy as I do react badly to their bites. 

If you are ever stung by an insect seek immediate help if the sting starts to swell or you get a red ring around it.

I usually find if it itches it's insect bites.

7 hours ago, Waldo said:

Also, what to use to stop the itching?!

Get Lanacane, it's good stuff.  Stronger than most other insect bite creams you get which only contain anti-histamines, this one is 3% Benzocane (a local anaesthetic)

6 hours ago, spilldig said:

I usually find if it itches it's insect bites.

Yep, and an anti-histamine tablet usually stops it.

They used to Prescribe - Calamine Lotion once.... Might Help..from Chemists.

If the insect bite gets infected none of the above remedies would help. You would need to be on antibiotics.

Over here, it's mosquitoes.Those little buggers will travel miles to bite me. Yet my wife hardly ever gets bit. Mind you they wouldn't dare. 😉

If you are outdoors a lot use repellent sprays,an ounce of prevention etc.

Edited by Ontarian1981

4 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Over here, it's mosquitoes.Those little buggers will travel miles to bite me. Yet my wife hardly ever gets bit. Mind you they wouldn't dare. 😉

If you are outdoors a lot use repellent sprays,an ounce of prevention etc.

Tried repellent  in The Gambia waste ,of time and money over there. Still got bit 100,s of times per day