Useless Police re attempted bike thefts

15 hours ago, WarPig said:

People can do more to help themselves. Leaving a motorbike on your drive unlocked to anything has the strong possibility of not being there when you return to it. Saying you left it there for just 10 mins means nothing. It only has to be there for the few seconds that the thieves pass your house, and the bike is gone. Ive never understood why people say things like 'I only left my car unlocked for 5 mins' etc.

Even if the police arrived say 15 mins later, theres not much they can do other than see if any neighbours have CCTV, and thats something you can do yourself. Saying its not your job to check for CCTV is missing the point completely. If the cops saw  a moped with 2 up, they wouldn't catch it, as soon as it drives fast or they take their helmets off then the chase ends, they aren't allowed to continue it.

The rules have been changed I believe - now the police are allowed to ram the bike, with their car, to stop them (even if they don't have helmets).

1 hour ago, nightrider said:

The rules have been changed I believe - now the police are allowed to ram the bike, with their car, to stop them (even if they don't have helmets).

But why would they. Regardless of any rule changes, which I think were only implemented in the Met police, to ram a motorbike could lead to the cops being suspended and investigated. Even if exonerated it would be 2 years  of worry, not knowing if they are going to prison for assault & dangerous driving, and that’s assuming the thief didn’t die. 

It would be a brave/stupid cop that would do that. 

Edited by WarPig

5 hours ago, WarPig said:

But when left on the drive unlocked and out of sight you have no control over its safety. It’s not victim blaming, it’s common sense.  Either enjoy the convenience of leaving it out momentarily but risk it getting stolen, or suffer the inconvenience of never letting it out of sight when unlocked, and reduce the risk. I do the latter with my motorbike but it’s a pain in the arse. 

Long gone are the days where you could leave things out and they wouldn’t get stolen, if ever those days existed at all, which I doubt they ever did. 

Since when has your OWN DRIVE been out of sight?

Come on....  The guy has his bike on HIS OWN DRIVE....Doesn't expect to get it stolen from there..!

Left unsecured in a supermarket car park perhaps, but on your OWN DRIVE?

Brazen thieve's these days.

3 hours ago, nightrider said:

What happen's when the cop's have got the WRONG info and ram an INNOCENT biker off the road and kill him/Her.?

1 hour ago, FinBak said:

Come on....  The guy has his bike on HIS OWN DRIVE....Doesn't expect to get it stolen from there..!

Brazen thieve's these days.

What happen's when the cop's have got the WRONG info and ram an INNOCENT biker off the road and kill him/Her.?

I imagine they would be in trouble for doing that, though it would not surprise me that they do their best to cover it up and get away with it.  I don't know what their criteria are, but I imagine they would need some threshold of evidence the person is who they are after and you'd hope it's high enough innocent people aren't being knocked off bikes. Though if you are innocent perhaps you would not drive off at speed anyway.

I've yet to see any news article about an innocent person being knocked off......whilst I've read many about criminals taking legal action after being injured as a result, e.g.:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/21/police-officers-following-orders-tactically-ram-moped-thieves-face-criminal-charges-9279536/

15 hours ago, FinBak said:

Location makes no difference. An unlocked bike is an unlocked bike. I never leave mine out on the drive.

It’s easier for the thief to steal from a driveway than a supermarket car park as there’s less people around to see them, as proven here. 

You wouldn’t leave £5k cash on your drive whilst you went back inside to put the kettle on, so why leave a motorbike there?

Down in Middlewood ,Hillsborough place 3:30am 5 lads were trying car doors and checking driveways,

police  were good they arrived 5 mins after I'd phoned it in, unfortunately the lads had left by then and the police couldn't locate them.

5 slim white lads, dressed dark clothing cheap builders gloves, almost a uniform dark blue/black baseball caps except that they had grey hoodies under there dark jackets. Looked like they were out of football firm film.  I guess they were after a moped or a bike.

Edited by steve68