Useless Police re attempted bike thefts

What are we supposed to do, just quietly ignore the fact there aren't enough police to deal with this sort of thing and just hope it gets better somehow? That's exactly what they (by which I mean this government) would like us to do.

If we're not gathering in places like this to share our experiences and demand the Police do better, then how is anyone to know the truth of just how stretched they are, what austerity actually means in the real world, to real people?  I suppose the correct course of action is write to your MP...oh yeah, I don't have one of those either!

So yeah, I'm going to publicly complain about the police while they're not fit for purpose, and it is my right as a taxpayer to do so.

Edited by FuriousGeorg

9 minutes ago, FuriousGeorg said:

What are we supposed to do, just quietly ignore the fact there aren't enough police to deal with this sort of thing and just hope it gets better somehow? That's exactly what they (by which I mean this government) would like us to do.

If we're not gathering in places like this to share our experiences and demand the Police do better, then how is anyone to know the truth of just how stretched they are, what austerity actually means in the real world, to real people?  I suppose the correct course of action is write to your MP...oh yeah, I don't have one of those either!

So yeah, I'm going to publicly complain about the police while they're not fit for purpose, and it is my right as a taxpayer to do so.

Of course you have the right to complain and good for you for doing it but be mindful  that it's the lack of police personnel that is the main issue here - not the police personnel per se.

They are stuck between a rock and a hard place .

Edited by Daven

Be mindful that it was the mods that lumped my thread in with all the police complaints, I was simply reporting the fact that it happened and to be aware, because if it happens to you you'll likely get no police support.  Prevention better than cure and all that.

47 minutes ago, Daven said:

Of course you have the right to complain and good for you for doing it but be mindful  that it's the lack of police personnel that is the main issue here - not the police personnel per se.

They are stuck between a rock and a hard place .

A number of older locals (born and bred Sheffielders) have told me SYP were just as useless before Austerity kicked in, and chastised me for saying its just down to funding cuts.

3 minutes ago, nightrider said:

A number of older locals (born and bred Sheffielders) have told me SYP were just as useless before Austerity kicked in, and chastised me for saying its just down to funding cuts.

I am one of those 'older locals born and bred Sheffielders'.

5 minutes ago, nightrider said:

That is true.

SYP has had a reputation for being very poorly run for at least three decades.

As had Merseyside police in Liverpool and the Met in London - it doesn't take a genius to work out why that's the case does it ?  😁

Edited by Daven

People can do more to help themselves. Leaving a motorbike on your drive unlocked to anything has the strong possibility of not being there when you return to it. Saying you left it there for just 10 mins means nothing. It only has to be there for the few seconds that the thieves pass your house, and the bike is gone. Ive never understood why people say things like 'I only left my car unlocked for 5 mins' etc.

Even if the police arrived say 15 mins later, theres not much they can do other than see if any neighbours have CCTV, and thats something you can do yourself. Saying its not your job to check for CCTV is missing the point completely. If the cops saw  a moped with 2 up, they wouldn't catch it, as soon as it drives fast or they take their helmets off then the chase ends, they aren't allowed to continue it. Even so, theres no way of proving that the lads on the moped are the same ones who tried to steal the bike.

You'll probably get recontacted by the police in a few days, to talk about any  local CCTV. Other than that, theres not a lot more can be done.  If it was me, i'd be checking myself with my neighbours to see if they have CCTV, and if so I'd be emailing it to the police to speed things up. But even if there is CCTV it has to show the thiefs face clearly, and even then someone has to be able to recognise them.  

Cops are swamped with live events where someone is in danger, so they aren't always able to turn up to things that have already happened in the past, even if it was just 10 mins ago.

You can have all the security in the world, but unfortunately you have to stop using it at some point in order to use the bike...  But nice victim blaming bro.

2 hours ago, FuriousGeorg said:

You can have all the security in the world, but unfortunately you have to stop using it at some point in order to use the bike...  But nice victim blaming bro.

But when left on the drive unlocked and out of sight you have no control over its safety. It’s not victim blaming, it’s common sense.  Either enjoy the convenience of leaving it out momentarily but risk it getting stolen, or suffer the inconvenience of never letting it out of sight when unlocked, and reduce the risk. I do the latter with my motorbike but it’s a pain in the arse. 

Long gone are the days where you could leave things out and they wouldn’t get stolen, if ever those days existed at all, which I doubt they ever did. 

Edited by WarPig

2 minutes ago, FuriousGeorg said:

Man **** this forum, I only wanted to make a public awareness post

Well yes, we can all just leave our stuff lying about and go “Boo hoo the bad people have taken our things” but if you really don't your stuff stolen you need to look after it! 

Every other day I see a post on local FB groups about a kid having his bike stolen when they'd got into a shop.

I usually ask what make the lock was so I know to avoid it for my bike.

The response is always "the bike wasn't locked".