Useless Police re attempted bike thefts

I think we all have examples of how we have been let down by SYP and its not going to get better any time soon. Stay safe and look after yourselves out there.

2 hours ago, Eccy Beach said:

Whilst I wouldn't want police to use CPS as a scapegoat if they didn't have enough evidence to charge, I'm genuinely a believer that you should explain your own decisions not send someone else to do it.

The police are the public face of the system.

I was interceding on someone’s behalf once and used their Witness Support phone number to get put through to the CPS. The person on the phone at Sheffield CPS went absolutely nuts that Witness Support had given ‘a member of the public’ direct access to them’. 😡

44 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The police are the public face of the system.

I was interceding on someone’s behalf once and used their Witness Support phone number to get put through to the CPS. The person on the phone at Sheffield CPS went absolutely nuts that Witness Support had given ‘a member of the public’ direct access to them’. 😡

It should happen more often.

They are the 'faceless' people who make life changing decisions.

Why shouldn't they be made to explain their decisions and be the ones who have to explain to the public why a crime is not to be pursued.

3 hours ago, Eccy Beach said:

Whilst I wouldn't want police to use CPS as a scapegoat if they didn't have enough evidence to charge, 

It is not about having enough evidence to charge it is about having enough evidence to secure a conviction. 

The CPS works to targets so they will only prosecute cases with over a certain percentage chance that they will be successful. All victims have the Right to Review a CPS decision but unfortunately this review is carried out by the same CPS office which made the original decision and not surprisingly in almost all cases uphold the original decision not to prosecute.

On 29/08/2019 at 22:29, Resident said:

Always plenty of officers for football though eh? 

Thats because most of them should have been on their day off, but had their day off cancelled instead. It's done this way so they have enough cops to staff the match, and they get a day off in lieu.  Years ago it would have ben done for overtime, but not anymore. Beat cops don't get many full weekends off, so when their rare Saturday off gets cancelled they get even less.

21 minutes ago, WarPig said:

Thats because most of them should have been on their day off, but had their day off cancelled instead. It's done this way so they have enough cops to staff the match, and they get a day off in lieu.  Years ago it would have ben done for overtime, but not anymore. Beat cops don't get many full weekends off, so when their rare Saturday off gets cancelled they get even less.

Shhhh.   Dont let facts get in the way of a good police bashing.

I’ve tried reporting incidents as they are taking place without resorting to 999, I gave up after listening to interminable taped « thank you »’s and “ your message is important” etc.  On another occasion I used 999 and received a good response. 

Fifteen years ago I intervened to stop a violent attack at Sheffield Midland Station. I ended up having an operation after several visits to A&E, expensive medication, and lost time off work. British Transport Police’s attitude towards me was terrible. I later received an apology from Chief Constable SYPolice.

I’d never intervene again in a similar situation. The BTP who I dealt with were overweight smoking ignorant slobs

16 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

I’ve tried reporting incidents as they are taking place without resorting to 999, I gave up after listening to interminable taped « thank you »’s and “ your message is important” etc.  On another occasion I used 999 and received a good response. 

Fifteen years ago I intervened to stop a violent attack at Sheffield Midland Station. I ended up having an operation after several visits to A&E, expensive medication, and lost time off work. British Transport Police’s attitude towards me was terrible. I later received an apology from Chief Constable SYPolice.

I’d never intervene again in a similar situation. The BTP who I dealt with were overweight smoking ignorant slobs

South Yorkshire police have nothing to do with BTP they are completely separate organisations although they do of course co-operate sometimes -

3 hours ago, Holiday1166 said:

My parole officer is a lovely lady 

Brilliant 😂 if you're not joking then well done on staying out of prison so far... 🙂

Yesterday afternoon had someone try and rob my bike off the drive in S10/crookes area, I'd only had it unlocked for 10 minutes and I was right there washing my other bike.  He dropped it and ran off when he saw me, got on the back of a scooter with two other kids and sped off.  Presume they were riding around looking for bikes and got very lucky, I hadn't seen anyone watching the house.

Stay vigilant, other bikers! Keep it locked up even if it feels safe!

Police were absolutely uninterested, didn't bother doing anything. Took 35 minutes just to get through to someone on 101.  Actually asked me to look for fingerprints and CCTV!

Typical re the Thin Blue Line.

ALL bikers need to be aware,,,, nicking bikes is far too easy.