Useless Police re attempted bike thefts

My shed was broken into a couple of years ago and my son saw  the guy who was doing it and gave chase.

They got away but my son recognized them and we gave the name to the police when they eventually came out but they were't interested.

Another time someone got my credit card details and tried to order 2 large tvs.

Luckily the manager of the store thought it was suspicious having two tvs delivered to London from someone in Sheffield. 

He contacted me and stopped the transaction. He gave me their address and 'phone number.

The police didn't want to know saying the crime would have been committed against the credit card company and not me so I had no grounds to contact them.

I said in that case if I saw someone about to get stabbed I shouldn't contact them because the crime wasn't against me.

We also have a druggie on our street who has been arrested twice but is still openly selling stolen goods and nothing is been done.

They are useless!

On 31/08/2019 at 10:09, busdriver1 said:

So attending the scene of a crime and actually catching those responsible is not acceptable? Shame on me? Look in a mirror. 

Claiming to have a shotgun stolen when you hadn't - wasting police time.

Shame on you.

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, Daven said:

Claiming to have a shotgun stolen when you hadn't - wasting police time.

Shame on you.

😂😂whatever, the point is I HAD had something stolen. What that was should not determine the necessity to investigate the crime. 

Edited by busdriver1

Police forces tend to have social media accounts and keep an eye on public forums, very much doubt they would ever get into a discussion/conversation with people just calling them muppets though.

I don't think there's another profession where people slander the entire workforce based on one incident or interaction with one (or a few) members of staff. Cops are like all professionals, some good, some bad, some indifferent, but its probably fair to say as others have commented there's not enough.

Not Sheffield, but nice to see police turning up for a burglary for once:

Boy who called 999 believing window cleaners were burglars did ‘right thing’ say police

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/17871494.boy-called-999-believing-window-cleaners-burglars-right-thing-say-police/

in reply to Eccy Beach   I dont think with all the conversations on this forum that it is ONE incident or interaction do you ,sounds like the public are a little disgruntled with the police and there inaction (unless it entails a nice new shiny car to drive)

A few weeks ago we were driving into a supermarket car park when we were undertaken by two young men on an expensive motorbike. They drove up to bike stand and started attacking a locked up motorbike with a bolt cutter in an attempt to steal it. My partner tried to block them in with our car and sounded the horn to attract attention. They got back on the bike and rode off, not before giving our car a kick. 

Meanwhile another member of the public had seen what was happening and spotted two police officers in a car. But they told her they couldn't give chase because the men were wearing helmets and they wouldn't be able to identify them (I always thought they couldn't give chase if they weren't wearing helmets). 

My partner then drove up to the police car to give them a description of the bike they'd ridden off on - they acknowledged him through the car window and then just drove off! 

Enough said really. 

6 minutes ago, Agent_C said:

A few weeks ago we were driving into a supermarket car park when we were undertaken by two young men on an expensive motorbike. They drove up to bike stand and started attacking a locked up motorbike with a bolt cutter in an attempt to steal it. My partner tried to block them in with our car and sounded the horn to attract attention. They got back on the bike and rode off, not before giving our car a kick. 

Meanwhile another member of the public had seen what was happening and spotted two police officers in a car. But they told her they couldn't give chase because the men were wearing helmets and they wouldn't be able to identify them (I always thought they couldn't give chase if they weren't wearing helmets). 

My partner then drove up to the police car to give them a description of the bike they'd ridden off on - they acknowledged him through the car window and then just drove off! 

Enough said really. 

Perhaps the police were going to take some action when they  drove off?

1 hour ago, Waj said:

Perhaps the police were going to take some action when they  drove off?

The bike would have been long gone by the time that happened. 

YES PERHAPS THEY WERE GOING TO TAKE ACTION WHEN THEY DROVE OFF LIKE GOING TO MCDONALDS FOR A BURGER OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT EH

The police are a complete joke 

God only knows what we pay our taxes for

12 hours ago, leginemro said:

in reply to Eccy Beach   I dont think with all the conversations on this forum that it is ONE incident or interaction do you ,sounds like the public are a little disgruntled with the police and there inaction (unless it entails a nice new shiny car to drive)

So if its not based on personal interaction with a police force how have public become disgruntled? I'd suggest one of the following:

1. Quantitative and qualitative research on British policing and crime figures (unlikely in my opinion).
  2. Reading sensationalist stories in one of our tabloid newspapers or watching morning TV hosted by the likes of Piers Morgan.
  3. Social media and someone posting click bait  

I'm not for one minute suggesting police are doing a great job, although I think they are working with extremely difficult constraints, I'm just challenging the idea that because someone didn't get the response they wanted in the time they wanted in relation to one particular incident they label all cops useless. 

Your later post clearly confirms you have a problem with cops and are happy to use a lazy and largely unfounded trope about their fast food habits to have a pop at them. Like I said before they might be recruiting soon.  Maybe you fancy a career change and could show them how to do it?

And for the record if you read your council tax bill you'll know exactly how much (or little as I'd say is the case) you pay towards policing.

11 hours ago, leginemro said:

YES PERHAPS THEY WERE GOING TO TAKE ACTION WHEN THEY DROVE OFF LIKE GOING TO MCDONALDS FOR A BURGER OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT EH

The police are a complete joke 

God only knows what we pay our taxes for

Been arrested or something?