Useless Police re attempted bike thefts

I live in Woodseats, a few hundred yards from the Police Station. 

Outside my house I saw a white Transit Van, kept driving up the road then turning around and I saw that there were two men inside, the passenger had a crash helmet on. 

There was a very nice BMW motorbike parked on the pavement and clearly they were trying to steal it, so first of all I went out and took a good look, took photos of the van, the registration etc, and went back inside. 

The van disappeared but I kept an eye on the road, and after about 15 minutes they were back so I called the police on 999. 

The guy on the phone could not have been less interested, 

"nothing we can do we don't have any officers available to send round there right now" ( carpark is FULL of police vehicles.

Do you want the Reg number so you can keep an eye out for this van ? 

"no I cant take action it if no crime has been committed"

What If I go out and stab him with a kitchen knife, could you send somebody then ? 

We don't advise that you confront them sir that would be dangerous. 

So can somebody explain to me what we pay our taxes for ? 

Luckily the owner came back and the bike was locked up and could not be moved by one person, but Its clear what was happening an I am disgusted. 

Don't blame the police, blame the scum Tory government.

3 hours ago, DancingDave said:

I live in Woodseats, a few hundred yards from the Police Station. 

Outside my house I saw a white Transit Van, kept driving up the road then turning around and I saw that there were two men inside, the passenger had a crash helmet on. 

There was a very nice BMW motorbike parked on the pavement and clearly they were trying to steal it, so first of all I went out and took a good look, took photos of the van, the registration etc, and went back inside. 

The van disappeared but I kept an eye on the road, and after about 15 minutes they were back so I called the police on 999. 

The guy on the phone could not have been less interested, 

"nothing we can do we don't have any officers available to send round there right now" ( carpark is FULL of police vehicles.

Do you want the Reg number so you can keep an eye out for this van ? 

"no I cant take action it if no crime has been committed"

What If I go out and stab him with a kitchen knife, could you send somebody then ? 

We don't advise that you confront them sir that would be dangerous. 

So can somebody explain to me what we pay our taxes for ? 

Luckily the owner came back and the bike was locked up and could not be moved by one person, but Its clear what was happening an I am disgusted. 

Hold on.  I'm totally confused here.

Did they actually commit a crime or not? 

If they didn't - what exactly did you expect the police to do.   Operator was right. 

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

If they didn't - what exactly did you expect the police to do.   Operator was right. 

Have you never heard of going equipped to steal?

The operator could have also taken down the registration, if a crime was later committed by someone matching the description then they have something to go on. 

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

yes, because God forbid we should stop a crime being committed.

No, lets wait until its too late so its "official".

attitude like yours is the reason why society is going to pot. I'm alright Jack so forget the rest of them.

3 hours ago, Halibut said:

i'm afraid it isn't quite clear as that.

the police are using every excuse in book to NOT  to have to do anything. there is a laziness that has become the over-riding factor with them now.

Fact is they prefer to cruise the streets in unmarked X5's and Land Rover Disco Sports rather than step on the cold hard pavement and interact with  the populace. 

999 is the emergency number. I see no emergency in some blokes in a van acting dodgy. You could have been taking up the line whilst a real emergency needed dealing with. 999 are not there to record details relating to potential  criminal offences- can you imagine how many extra operators would be needed? 

You did a good deed in getting photo's / registration etc, all of which could have been passed to police if the crime was committed. 

Edited by lil-minx92

22 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

999 is the emergency number. I see no emergency in some blokes in a van acting dodgy. You could have been taking up the line whilst a real emergency needed dealing with. 999 are not there to record details relating to potential  criminal offences- can you imagine how many extra operators would be needed? 

You did a good deed in getting photo's / registration etc, all of which could have been passed to police if the crime was committed. 

Do you think that helps the guy whose bike is nicked? 

There's a 50% chance it won't. https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-6572517/Police-fail-recover-half-stolen-cars-UK.html

4 hours ago, Halibut said:

Typical Halibut response

Blame Labour. Austerity cuts exist because Tony and Co kept borrowing and spending money the country didn't have. 

Anyway back on topic. SYP have always been less than useless, stretching back decades. That ineptitude is only half the story. The CPS and beyond is no longer fit for purpose. 

A few years ago I called them as a neighbour had driven into my car and then driven off. 

As evidence I had:

Crystal clear HD CCTV, showing number plate and offender's face & the impact

Paint transfer (he had a black car, mine was white)

2 independent witnesses. 

Officers attended and wanted to charge him with:

Criminal damage

Failure to report

Leaving the scene

CPS pushed case back claiming lack of evidence. 

4 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Do you think that helps the guy whose bike is nicked? 

There's a 50% chance it won't. https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-6572517/Police-fail-recover-half-stolen-cars-UK.html

Do you think 999 is an emergency number? Do you think people acting suspiciously is an emergency?  In some situations maybe but by the sounds of it the 'thieves' didnt even touch the bike, or even get out of their van.

6 hours ago, DancingDave said:

and clearly they were trying to steal it, . 

Clearly! 🤣😂🤣

This is amazing At least they could have taken Reg No !