Young Family Move To Sheffield

Hi all, 

Me, my partner and our 2 weeks old baby boy are wanting to move to Sheffield in the next few weeks however we are unsure on areas. I used to live in Sheffield 2008-2011 however I lived in town and i've been made aware areas have changed a lot. Basically i'm looking for advice on which area to live? I need it to be a safe area for my partner and son so I don't worry about them when i'm not around. Any help would be appreciated . 

Thanks in advance 

Chris, Sophie and Alfie

44 minutes ago, Soph/Chris said:

I used to live in Sheffield 2008-2011 however I lived in town and i've been made aware areas have changed a lot.

Made aware by who?

Apart from the gentrification of Kelham Island and the new IKEA, Sheffield is pretty much as you left it in 2011.

Gleadless Valley is nowhere near the same it was in the sixties,  bits of Bedsheets up to Windows, dogs everywhere and it gets worse every day, immigrants everywhere.

Edited by lazarus

Budget, lifestyle and commute influence your choices without knowing any of these it is very difficult to give assistance.

Pockets of Sheffield have changed since you were last here but generally it's much the same

11 hours ago, lazarus said:

Gleadless Valley is nowhere near the same it was in the sixties,  bits of Bedsheets up to Windows, dogs everywhere and it gets worse every day, immigrants everywhere.

Racist idiots aside, Sheffield is still a safe city.

15 hours ago, Soph/Chris said:

Hi all, 

Me, my partner and our 2 weeks old baby boy are wanting to move to Sheffield in the next few weeks however we are unsure on areas. I used to live in Sheffield 2008-2011 however I lived in town and i've been made aware areas have changed a lot. Basically i'm looking for advice on which area to live? I need it to be a safe area for my partner and son so I don't worry about them when i'm not around. Any help would be appreciated . 

Thanks in advance 

Chris, Sophie and Alfie

What's your budget and what kind of house are you looking for?

15 hours ago, lazarus said:

I dont imagine any area anywhere is the same as it was in the 60's!!

7 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

I dont imagine any area anywhere is the same as it was in the 60's!!

Up to the eighties people were proud of their houses, mainly council I mean, they cleaned Windows looked after their gardens, kept their children on a reasonable tight rein, that's all gone now unfortunately, the immigrants bring different problems as do the young whites.

Edited by lazarus

It is very hard to advise you without an idea of your budget and what sort of home you are looking for.   Property prices vary massively  between different areas but generally the safer the area the more expensive the property.

I don’t think Sheffield has changed that much in the 24 years I’ve been here.

If working then commuting is a consideration. Having a young un, you’ll want to be near some outdoor space so not going stir crazy cooped up and Sheffield is blessed on that front, Hillsboro Park s6, graves s8, endcliffe s11, Chelsea park s11, millhouses s8/s7, meersbrook s8 and loads more. 

if don’t mind commuting and have car then you can look further out like penistone.

as others have said it depends what your budget is and what sort of preferences you have 

On 28/08/2019 at 09:14, amazon123 said:

What's your budget and what kind of house are you looking for?

2-3 bedrooms with garden looking around £600 - £700 a month 

Personally I'd be looking in S6 or S7 for that sort of money. Likely to be a terraced house with small garden but reasonable areas, and close to good amenities and the city centre.