Deputy Leader Olivia Blake And 2 Other Cllr's Resign

Quite significant news(for those who take an interest in local politics) Deputy Leader and Cllr Olivia Blake who i believe is also Board Member for Finance( a major role ) has resigned from said positions as have  Councillors Moya O’Rourke and Adam Hurst (though not from being cllr's). They say they want to campaign for a move to a committee approach to decision making away from the current (blairite?) board member system.  

https://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/council/rift-in-labour-as-councillors-clash-over-deputy-leaders-resignation-492098

"Cabinet member for the environment Lewis Dagnall and cabinet assistants Sophie Wilson and Fran Johnson also resigned on Sunday.

In a collective statement they said their resignations allowed them “the freedom to campaign both for democratic reform, but also for a radical Labour government and Labour council that puts the people first.”

This means that four out of 10 cabinet assistants and two out of nine cabinet members have resigned from their positions."

Labour sources tell the Star that there may be two more cabinet resignations in the coming week and that there is widespread speculation as to whether Ms Dore may face a vote of no confidence. "

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/b/sheffield-labour-establishment-rocked-further

Not sure what i feel about the salient issue, but it is clear that what what seemed like a monolithic instititution that brooked no dissent is crumbling.

Hope they don't get involved with the current iteration of Momentum.

Edited by gamezone07
edited for clarity, i hope.

I wonder if a (potential) upcoming bye election is Hallam has got anything to do with it........

33 minutes ago, MJ01 said:

I wonder if a (potential) upcoming bye election is Hallam has got anything to do with it........

Given that Olivia Blake is Labour's candidate in said upcoming by-election, almost certainly yes!

A long-time informed observer of these matters tells me that this group of councillors are all lightweight, with little world experience, but lots of personal ambition - led by Olivia Blake.

Apparently, Ms Blake sees supporting this issue as (1) a populist attempt to try to distinguish herself from Sheffield Council's current unpopularity - despite the fact that she has been the council's Deputy Leader; and (2) providing an opportunity for someone to blame when she doesn't win Sheffield Hallam at the next election.

Over many years, my observer has proved very reliable in his analysis.

Edited by Localman
spelling error