Will There Be A Sleigh Bar This Year

noticed a press release that the company wont be coming this year,its a great venue,and the bear was loved and photoed by all,so whats it going to be like minus our favourite

bar at christmas,what do you all think,should scc step in?,whats the problem? does anyone know?

Still the tee-pee, tho, right?

Hopefully someone else will step in and offer something exciting... I mean, I'll miss my pints of prosecco!

According to what I read on Facebook there will be a new, larger bar on Fargate.   From the comments, the news doesn't appear to have gone down well.

Edited by kaytie

so its all about big cash then or did the chap who normally comes not want to come?

6 hours ago, bassett one said:

so its all about big cash then or did the chap who normally comes not want to come?

It's a commercial enterprise, so yes it's entirely about cash.

The original piece in Facebook was written by the Sleigh Bar people and reads as though they wanted to come.    I suspect the market organisers got a better deal elsewhere, but there are comments from readers saying they will boycott the replacement etc etc etc.   I guess time will tell if a good or bad decision was made. 

A new, bigger Alpine themed bar run by a local company has got the pitch so there will still be a Christmas Market bar in that location. Hopefully one of a higher standard than the Sleigh Bar.

Additionally Thor's Tipi bar will be back in the Peace Gardens again this year.

On 26/08/2019 at 23:25, kaytie said:

The original piece in Facebook was written by the Sleigh Bar people and reads as though they wanted to come.    I suspect the market organisers got a better deal elsewhere, but there are comments from readers saying they will boycott the replacement etc etc etc.   I guess time will tell if a good or bad decision was made. 

It was just a ratty temporary bar at the top of Fargate. I'm struggling to understand how passionate you would have to be about its absence to threaten a boycott of its replacement.

On 28/08/2019 at 17:12, Bargepole23 said:

It was just a ratty temporary bar at the top of Fargate. I'm struggling to understand how passionate you would have to be about its absence to threaten a boycott of its replacement.

it reminded me of the kind of flat roof estate pub as featured on the Shameless TV series..

Bring on something new and improved!

5 hours ago, EFCMatt said:

Bring on something new and improved!

Exactly.    Don't knock it until you've tried it imo.   However the Sleigh Bar seems to have had a loyal clientele...someone's started a petition calling for its reinstatement.    

On 30/08/2019 at 19:51, kaytie said:

Exactly.    Don't knock it until you've tried it imo.   However the Sleigh Bar seems to have had a loyal clientele...someone's started a petition calling for its reinstatement.    

it was bloomin awful , the place was full of chavvy old tarts and was swilling with beer etc the mulled wine was awful and a rip off.

wont miss it at all.