Sheffield Post Codes.

48 minutes ago, FinBak said:

Thanks for the replies folks great stuff.

That's another thing, How the hell did Mexborough come to have an 'S' post code?...And some parts of Rotherham and Barnsley are absolutely Miles away... but still have an 'S' Prefix...!!

What's that all about?

I remember when I worked at BGas, Mexborough has all sorts to it.

Not sure all correct way round though.

Sheffield postcode

A rotherham phone number

doncaster empty their bins

and at BG they came under the Barnsley engineers!

2 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

I remember when I worked at BGas, Mexborough has all sorts to it.

Not sure all correct way round though.

Sheffield postcode

A rotherham phone number

doncaster empty their bins

and at BG they came under the Barnsley engineers!

I didn't know you worked for BG! I started in Doncaster service dept in 1978, moved to engineering, went to Sheffield early 90s, redundant from Rotherham 1996.  We were East Midlands, Barnsley was North Eastern. The divisions were very odd indeed, the northern part of Donny came under Barnsley.

33 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

I didn't know you worked for BG! I started in Doncaster service dept in 1978, moved to engineering, went to Sheffield early 90s, redundant from Rotherham 1996.  We were East Midlands, Barnsley was North Eastern. The divisions were very odd indeed, the northern part of Donny came under Barnsley.

I think years ago we might have discussed it briefly Ms. The reason being, I remember the Rotherham part, as this ruled out any chance that we may have worked in same place. I just did a year or two contract work on the phones (pre-mass- internet days, we basically did what the internet does now + planning, that would now not be in operator's hands these days). I was at Upwell St.

What might seal this info is I think you said you worked for 'Transco', and I didn't deal with them much, as I was in 'Service'. The only time I ever rang Transco was if someone rang the wrong number (gas leaks) and got me - if they had a gas leak, we couldn't give them a number to ring (as obviously dangerous), so I had to ring Transco.  These departments had split off by the time I was there, so was a huge place with only a few people. (mainly heating engineers), and they still had 'Accounts' - I remember when a high number of call queue (5 or 6 was high... 10+ and the supervisor would have heart failure) :hihi: but a lot of people rang and wanted accounts, so I could just divert them internally, and with a few of these, the supervisor most liked added a few more days into their lives!

An odd thing though is that people knew how to get through things. Now the internet or phones make you select options, but people in the past who couldn't get through to departments learned that if you rang xyz, they answer and put you through.

-

back on topic :hihi:, I think you worked in an S60-65ish. I worked in whatever postcode that dump of an area has become since I lived there.

Edited by *_ash_*