Sheffield Post Codes.

2 hours ago, FinBak said:

Do you have any idea or are you just Trolling?

No, not trolling at all....just wondering how you would do it if you had designed the system., and how would we want to actually understand...Should neighbouring areas be consecutively named,...As, then Bs, then Cs etc?

They are based on the old postal districts, which have been around for decades.   Six has, as long as I can remember, been adjacent to ten.    Suggest you pose your question to Royal Mail if its really important to you.

It wouldn't be possible to have adjacent numbers.

Also, as towns expand, it's easier to introduce new numbers rather than changing everyone.

We had this type of issue to work out at Mercury taxis, and there were 90 plots to split the system up (the old system didn't like 3 digits). And the system of numbers was more logical. (I bet I could name every one still after years of it gone! )

If we could post pictures here I could show you the list, and you wouldn't be able to see much logic in it, however it was, some old drivers will remember, and it relates to the OP postcode numbering system.

1 2 3 were all close to town. Then roughly speaking

the 10s were the numbers heading out of town in the Pitsmoor/Barnsley Road direction

The 20s were roughly going up Penistone Road

The 30s were the link off towards Crookes/Stannington/ Loxley /Wadsley directions

the 40s (which were my plots to work in) was up Glossop Road/Ecclesall direction

the 50s were roughly up Abbeydale road

60s norfolk park /Chesterfield road way

70s Granville road/City road out to mosbro way

80s Parkway/ and roughly a57 type direction

last 4 numbers were out of town north east south west

I doubt any interest in this post numbers, but I'm going to link it into the taxi forum to see who remembers! hence long reply, but shows how you could alter postcodes to more sense - however, of course as I said above. Changing them would cost millions, however on a taxi company we could just change the numbers on a computer, and no one would be the wiser.

A good example is a roadsign outside my house which shows the wrong postcode (though it WAS right when it was put up)

So for examples re:numbers at Mercury and how it worked...

1. 60 was Norfolk Park / 70 was Manor (so the closeness of the first number 6/7, and the closeness of the 0, means you're aren't that from it.

If you move out more, the you still can tell instantly that you aren't that far away using this 2 number system.

To move much further out, (and using the 5)

55 was Millhouses

65 was Meadowhead

3 was this

23 Hillsborough

33 Walkley

43 Crosspool

you get the gist. I thought it worked well (at the time, but things change with time, now the number system is redundant due to GPS. Postcodes can't change at the same speed as tech.

Guest busdriver1

If you look on a map, most post codes do connect in a circular way. However when the end of the circle is arrived at and the next circle starts there is often a big jump in area.

There is logic there but it needs to be looked at from a different view point.

To the public though it has no need to follow their "logic", as long as your post arrives......... (thats a completely different discussion).

53 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

There are many nice places around Sheffield of course, but the Western postcodes, as above, seem to have the monopoly of them.  Another intriguing postcode though is S6.  On it's borders it has some stunning countryside,  Hollow Meadows, Bradfield, and possibly my favourite road in the whole of Sheffield, "Mortimer Road", which runs for miles from near LadyBower reservoir right out to Middup!  But S6 brings with it the likes of Hillsborough and that surely rules it out of being the best postcode in Sheffield? 😉

Mortimer Road continues beyond Midhope over into Cubley and Penistone - these are in Barnsley Local Authority though they share the S36 postcode with Midhope and Wigtwizzle which are Sheffield. And of course Stocksbridge is S36.

Edited by Longcol

18 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Why do they, what would be gained?

If you dont know it would be know good explaning it to you would it /  You any good at quizes 

On 26/08/2019 at 12:27, spider1 said:

If you dont know it would be know good explaning it to you would it /  You any good at quizes 

Maybe you could start by explaining what that sentence means. I'm pretty good at quizzes, and not so bad at spelling and punctuation. 

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Maybe you could start by explaining what that sentence means. I'm pretty good at quizzes, and not so bad at spelling and punctuation. 

Na waste time 

Thanks for the replies folks great stuff.

That's another thing, How the hell did Mexborough come to have an 'S' post code?...And some parts of Rotherham and Barnsley are absolutely Miles away... but still have an 'S' Prefix...!!

What's that all about?

9 minutes ago, FinBak said:

That's another thing, How the hell did Mexborough come to have an 'S' post code?...And some parts of Rotherham and Barnsley are absolutely Miles away... but still have an 'S' Prefix...!!

What's that all about?

These places well out of Sheffield have 'S' postcodes because all mail for a large area is sent initially to a Mail Centre - in this case the massive one on Brightside Lane, where it is sorted for distribution to smaller local hubs, and then sorted again for local delivery offices.

To try and answer your initial query, I think many large cities initially had district numbers which were nothing to do with RM - don't know how or why they originated - and these were kept when postcodes were introduced. Obviously, not all areas were covered by these district numbers, so when the postcode system started, everywhere had to have a number, so someone or some organisation had to devise these. I don't know offhand how this was done, but in the recesses of my mind I seem to think there is a large Wikipedia article on the whole idea.

Can't be bothered to find it now, but I'm sure your preferred search engine will point you in the right direction.

34 minutes ago, FinBak said:

What's that all about?

The country is divided up into areas - ie main main mail centres - for postcodes - so Sheffield (S) covers, Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Chesterfield / North Derbyshire and Hope Valley.

Doncaster (DN) includes Scunthorpe and Grimsby.  Leeds includes Wetherby, Tadcaster, Pudsey, Otley and Ilkley. BT (Belfast) includes all Northern Ireland.

It's the next two digits - the "post town" that break the area down eg Barnsley S70 - S75, Grimsby DN31-DN37.

Edited by Longcol

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

The country is divided up into areas - ie main main mail centres - for postcodes - so Sheffield (S) covers, Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Chesterfield / North Derbyshire and Hope Valley.

Doncaster (DN) includes Scunthorpe and Grimsby.  Leeds includes Wetherby, Tadcaster, Pudsey, Otley and Ilkley. BT (Belfast) includes all Northern Ireland.

It's the next two digits - the "post town" that break the area down eg Barnsley S70 - S75, Grimsby DN31-DN37.

Thanks, @Longcol - brings bits of that long-forgotten article back, but I'm sure the OP can do more research via search engineand Wiki, as I did many years ago.