Amazon Rain Forest

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

I've been of the opinion for several years that we are living through the beginning of the beginning of the end times - this large scale burning of the amazon just confirms that belief. I'm glad I was born in 1967 and not any later. I fear for my children - and theirs if they have any.

I have had that same opinion as well Halibut, did"nt some organisation a few months back say the planet will be doomed in 70yrs.

3 hours ago, Halibut said:

I've been of the opinion for several years that we are living through the beginning of the beginning of the end times - this large scale burning of the amazon just confirms that belief. I'm glad I was born in 1967 and not any later. I fear for my children - and theirs if they have any.

I never used to pay much attention to people who give it the old "end of days", "the world is going to end" thing but the more I see the more I think you are probably onto something. Look at America, waging war all over the globe with a moron in charge, China and its expansion into the south China sea and Africa, Amazon rain forest burning, tensions with Russia, us and our war waging in the middle east, refugee crisis etc etc etc.

I was born a little after you (74) but like you I fear for my children and their children because I truly believe in their lifetime they are going to witness something horrific.

Edited by Waj
spelling

I suspect those who think the end of days has started like halibut and waj  (and me, 1975) feel this way partly because of age. Maybe young bucks in their 20s, or earlier like young greta feel they can turn it around after dinosaurs like trump and Aaron banks have shuffled off while we're at that cynical age where we think we're ****ed.

If you go back 50 years our parents may have felt the same in cold war but our fate seems more sealed.

Past generations already have witnessed something horrific in two world wars.  

Can you imagine 57,470 men who died in a single day at the Somme during World War One.  

Nazi extermination camps during the Second World War where millions of men, women and children were sent to their death.  Some of the survivors of these camps are still alive today.

I have no idea what the future is going to be for the next generation, hopefully they don’t have to witness something horrific as past generations did.

The "end of days" business has been around for quite a while!

The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894 makes for interesting reading!

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

The "end of days" business has been around for quite a while!

The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894 makes for interesting reading!

Interesting, but comparing the current situation facing humankind to a semi-mythical horse manure problem is a bit like comparing a patient who might be feeling a bit under the weather to someone in the early stages of ebola.

9 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Past generations already have witnessed something horrific in two world wars.  

Can you imagine 57,470 men who died in a single day at the Somme during World War One.  

Nazi extermination camps during the Second World War where millions of men, women and children were sent to their death.  Some of the survivors of these camps are still alive today.

I have no idea what the future is going to be for the next generation, hopefully they don’t have to witness something horrific as past generations did.

Tens maybe hundreds of millions forced to move as sea levels rise. Global systemic failure of crops. Most wars are fought over resources so expect to see more of those. It’s going to be horrifying.

On 26/08/2019 at 08:15, I1L2T3 said:

Tens maybe hundreds of millions forced to move as sea levels rise. Global systemic failure of crops. 

I see this bit as a reality not just someone's opinion.

The ironic circle-deforestation-rising temps-huge amounts of ice meting in to the oceans. Water encroaching on more land, less land being available for whatever purpose-further rises in temperature. 

Edited by Janus

7 hours ago, Halibut said:

Interesting, but comparing the current situation facing humankind to a semi-mythical horse manure problem is a bit like comparing a patient who might be feeling a bit under the weather to someone in the early stages of ebola.

I wasn't belittling the climate situation. Only a fool and the US President would do that.

My point was that a solution was subsequently found.

Ironically, the "solution" - the invention of the petrol engine - became an integral part of today's problem.

2 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Ironically, the "solution" - the invention of the petrol engine - became an integral part of today's problem.

That is very true, even more so when you think of the petrol chain saw in context of this thread.

Also the invention of the jet engine.  It will be a very long time before there is a viable alternative.

I understand someone has flown an aircraft powered by solar panels-prototype sort of stage.

Edited by Janus
Additional info

25 minutes ago, Butterscene said:

How did the Earth breathe 17,000 or so years ago when the Amazon jungle didn't exist?

The Earth doesn’t breathe.

Obviously