Mobile Phone Scam.

I saw that news article yesterday. How/why does a phone retailer ship a phone without payment?

Identity fraud, they either steal your payment details, or enough details to open one on your behalf

Open one what Mel, bank account in  your name? Then order the phone etc?

12 minutes ago, Janus said:

Open one what Mel, bank account in  your name? Then order the phone etc?

They just sign up to a new mobile contract using the details of your existing bank account. Because the delivery address for the phone is your real one it doesn't look suspicious.

@altus

When I phone my mob provider they want full name and two random characters from my password. This is when I am actually using my phone/ SIM number that is registered to my provider via contract.

What else would a phone provider require when the fraudster is not using my phone/SIM when speaking to my provider as me?

Edited by Janus

2 hours ago, Janus said:

@altus

When I phone my mob provider they want full name and two random characters from my password. This is when I am actually using my phone/ SIM number that is registered to my provider via contract.

What else would a phone provider require when the fraudster is not using my phone/SIM when speaking to my provider as me?

It has nothing to do with your existing provider. They sign up to as a new customer to a different provider.

They get hold of your mobile number and call you, pretending to be from your provider with some pretend offer or another.

they tell you that they are going to send you a verification code to prove it is them and for you to prove it is you.

They go to your provider website and attempt to log in.

the verification code is sent from your provider to your mobile.

they ask you for the code.

then then log in and have access to your account.

they can then order a phone upgrade and have it sent to a different address.

I knew there was  more to it.

The bit about having the phone  sent to a different address sounds like a variation of the scam described by the BBC article.

That article said the phone comes to your address via courier. Then shortly after, the fraudster knocks on the door pretending to be a courier. He claims that the phone was  delivered in error and asks for it back .

Anyway, let's hope this thread increases the awareness of the scams.

There are many, many ways to scam someone.

As different methods of security are introduced, e.g 2FA, then the variety of ways to be scammed  and adaptations to scams increases.

It’s hard to stop.

my best advice is:

enable 2FA everywhere it is offered.

have a separate strong password not used elsewhere on your email (and 2FA).

use a password manager and have a different random password for each service.

never give ANY details out from unsolicited phone calls, if you think it is genuine offer, call the company back to their usual phone number, or visit their website independently.

never click links in unsolicited emails.