Aston Villa V Everton

Watched the Villa -Everton game, Villa's Jack Grealish played the match with socks down and no shin pads, have they changed the rules on that ?

12 hours ago, St Petre said:

Watched the Villa -Everton game, Villa's Jack Grealish played the match with socks down and no shin pads, have they changed the rules on that ?

A lot of them did it in the 60's, Dennis Law and George Best did it at times, so did a lot more. I think they clamped down on it, but not sure what the rules are these days. I remember Alan Woodward getting studded on his bare shin by Johnny Giles near  a corner flag  at the Lane sometime in the 60's. I was standing real close to where it happened.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Shin pads have been compulsory for many years -  they cettainly were when I qualified as a referee in the mid 1990s.

From Law 4 "The Players' Equipment"

Compulsory equipment

The compulsory equipment of a player comprises the following separate items:

• a shirt with sleeves
  • shorts
  • socks – tape or any material applied or worn externally must be the same colour as that part of the sock it is applied to or covers
  • shinguards – these must be made of a suitable material to provide reasonable protection and covered by the socks
  • footwear

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-4---the-players-equipment

7 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

A lot of them did it in the 60's, Dennis Law and George Best did it at times, so did a lot more. I think they clamped down on it, but not sure what the rules are these days. I remember Alan Woodward getting studded on his bare shin by Johnny Giles near  a corner flag  at the Lane sometime in the 60's. I was standing real close to where it happened.

Giles used to get away with all sorts as it was Bremner, Hunter, Charlton and Reaney who had the reputation as dirty so and so's, especially the first two. Studs on shins was a favourite of his.

15 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Yes Mr.T. As for the Belfast lad, a book I read about him 'George Best,an Autobiography ' by Duncan Hamilton (an excellent football writer) states in the book that the only times in his career he wore shin pads was when he was playing against Leeds United !-not a bad statement considering he played against sides from Spain, Italy and Argentina (well Estudiantes).

11 hours ago, Library said:

Shin pads have been compulsory for many years -  they cettainly were when I qualified as a referee in the mid 1990s.

From Law 4 "The Players' Equipment"

Compulsory equipment

The compulsory equipment of a player comprises the following separate items:

• a shirt with sleeves
  • shorts
  • socks – tape or any material applied or worn externally must be the same colour as that part of the sock it is applied to or covers
  • shinguards – these must be made of a suitable material to provide reasonable protection and covered by the socks
  • footwear

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-4---the-players-equipment

Thank you Library.The kit rules reminds me of a few years ago when the makers of the kits for the Cameroon national team came up with an innovative idea of having a one piece shirt and shorts outfit, the shirt was sleeveless and to get into the kit the player had to put his feet and legs through the neck and then pull the whole thing up. I think Cameroon played one African cup game in it till FIFA got wind of it and told Cameroon that they weren't having any of that sort of business , quoting the rules that you kindly supplied.

Also in the GB book that  I mentioned before: Best recalled that once before a game against Leeds United, both teams were lined up in the tunnel before running onto the field, Best was the last player at the back of the Man.U. line when he was 'studded' in the calf. George yelped in pain and looked to see the culprit at his side being Leeds' diminutive Bobby Collins who informed Best the 'there will be more of that when we get out there !'.

3 hours ago, Longcol said:

Giles used to get away with all sorts as it was Bremner, Hunter, Charlton and Reaney who had the reputation as dirty so and so's, especially the first two. Studs on shins was a favourite of his.

Yes, while we of a certain generation are still alive ,Leeds will always have a tainted reputation thanks to those Revie teams of the 60s and early 70s. Which is a shame for all younger players who came later.

The silly thing about it is, all those guys you mention were all great footballers who had no need to be so dirty in the first place. No wonder they wouldn't accept Clough and his changes, it was too ingrained by then.

Edited by Ontarian1981

3 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Yes, while we of a certain generation are still alive ,Leeds will always have a tainted reputation thanks to those Revie teams of the 60s and early 70s. Which is a shame for all younger players who came later.

The silly thing about it is, all those guys you mention were all great footballers who had no need to be so dirty in the first place. No wonder they wouldn't accept Clough and his changes, it was too ingrained by then.

As you say,  we of a certain age, who lived through those times  will never forget the way they played, if I, and many others were to say on here what I think of that team and Revie, it would be removed. Younger ones now don't understand why we hate them,but you never forget,  as they say!

4 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Correct Mr.T. but they also had Vinnie Jones later on. when Howard Wilkinson was there I think.

7 hours ago, Longcol said:

On top of the thugs there was Allan Clarke who couldn't shut his trap towards the referee when they didn't get every 50-50 decision.