Nhs And Non-Medical Surgery

There was a similar story on the BBC news tonight.

" A 30-year-old journalist has been sterilised after what she describes as a “four-year battle with the NHS” to have the procedure done. "

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/woman-who-never-wanted-children-wins-nhs-sterilisation-battle-a7030481.html

As others were, I thought straight away it was wrong; it is not contraception, but then so too is a steralisation in men.

What other examples are there of surgical operations due to a social requirment?

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

What other examples are there of surgical operations due to a social requirment?

How do you know that it was a ‘social requirement’?

3 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

How do you know that it was a ‘social requirement’?

It wasn't a health reqiremnt, she had a healthy body and she wanted it surgically changing so that she didn't have children.

One of the things about social medicine is that you have to let people have procedures that you personally dont think is needed.

5 minutes ago, Obelix said:

One of the things about social medicine is that you have to let people have procedures that you personally dont think is needed.

Like tattoo removal and other cosmetic surgery, it just makes you think about what our NHS does.

37 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It wasn't a health reqiremnt, she had a healthy body and she wanted it surgically changing so that she didn't have children.

How do you know that it was’t a health requirement?

Being pregnant carries many medical risks and the fear of becoming pregnant also carries psychological risks.

My first reaction in this instance is 4yr battle, why hasn't she saved and funded it privately it's an awful longtime to be waiting.

and then the  BBC supplies her with a security guard  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bbc-sends-security-guard-to-protect-journalist-who-received-abuse-on-twitter-after-she-said-she-a6748156.html

how bizarre 

Edit:- Noticed the article dates are 2015/16, so I guess its  a rehash of old news to  keep it in the public eye.

Edited by steve68

it sounds like it was a lifestyle choice, the woman does report to have medical conditions and being a freelancer, living in London cost of living, higher rents etc 

clearly she has had this wish for a longtime! So for me it would be plan the of costs of surgery and if able saving for it,  this is said from our own  personal experience of bone on bone extreme pain, (hip) Replacement 10k 

1 hour ago, steve68 said:

Edit:- Noticed the article dates are 2015/16, so I guess its  a rehash of old news to  keep it in the public eye.

There was a different story on the BBC news last night, so the doctors must delays things to make sure the ladies are sure. Its quite unusual to want to alter your body and there is no going back.

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

As others were, I thought straight away it was wrong; it is not contraception, but then so too is a steralisation in men.

Just curious.

When you say wrong, do you mean because it is on the nhs, or wrong because she is only age 30 and has no children while some women would do almost anything to conceive?

I think sterilisation absolutely should be available on the NHS to women and men. I don't see why it 'isn't contraception'? That's exactly what it is.

Other forms of contraception are already available on the NHS and rightly so, and for women in particular they can have negative side effects and presumably cost the NHS a lot anyway (supplying the pill for your whole reproductive lifespan for example).

The cost to the NHS of unwanted pregnancies and the associated terminations/maternal care must surely be great too.

If a one-off routine operation can be done instead for those that want it, why on earth not? 

I do agree that it should of course only be done after counselling and some sort of waiting period, but four years seems a bit excessive.

2 minutes ago, vwkittie said:

I think sterilisation absolutely should be available on the NHS to women and men. I don't see why it 'isn't contraception'? That's exactly what it is.

I have just been watched Channel 5s Doctors program. A married man with 2 children asked the doc for a vasectomy, he was told that their policy was to exhaust other types of contraception first, because a vasectomy carries a greater risk.

So his wife has to see the doc and get the corect contraception, which itself has benefits to her.

23 minutes ago, Janus said:

Just curious.

When you say wrong, do you mean because it is on the nhs, or wrong because she is only age 30 and has no children while some women would do almost anything to conceive?

Because she would be cutting a healthy body for non medical reasons.