Jump to content


What Would You Like To See Change In Our City?

Recommended Posts

On 08/09/2019 at 00:09, ECCOnoob said:

I doubt they care.

 

If you are some arrogant, deluded and self-important type who whines about a lack of free parking in the middle of a busy city centre - I doubt you're going to be a major contributor to profits in any event.

 

Town prices might have given you a heart attack.  

Why don't YOU go and ask them then?...See what THEY say?

 

I am far from deluded or arrogant or self-important.:nono:

 

But when parking My Rolls..I need a big space and i need it to be free of parking charges.:D

 

 

 

 

Edited by FinBak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything, a bomb would do for start, lol

 

then rebuild with more green space like we had in the 70's and 80's non of this concrete everywhere option was much cleaner back then too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Leadhammer said:

Everything, a bomb would do for start, lol

 

then rebuild with more green space like we had in the 70's and 80's non of this concrete everywhere option was much cleaner back then too.

Green space like we had in 70s and 80s 😂

 

Can you remember peace gardens and the egg box compared to now?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Eccy Beach said:

Green space like we had in 70s and 80s 😂

 

Can you remember peace gardens and the egg box compared to now?!

Ok fair enough id happened to forget about the eggbox and peace gardens by the 70s and 80s yes it was in a rough state and a haven for homeless and street drinkers, but i was thinking more of the beautiful fountains that where at the top of fargate and i believe there was a fountain sandwiched on a roundabout between the train station and bus station both adorned with flowers for the life of me i cant remember the names of them there were also flower beds in between roads as i remember nowadays we have lots of concrete flag stones where once stood flowers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind seeing water taps around the city like they have in Amsterdam, along with some sort of recyclable cups for them perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/09/2019 at 15:18, Mr. Johnson said:

What would I like to see?

I'd like to see Sheffield think not one but two steps ahead.

People can carry on the comparisons to Leeds and Manchester (who themselves want to be Mini-Londons) but it's pointless playing catch-up in that race.

We've lost. Expending energy to mimic those cities is a waste of energy.

No, we need to look forward and build on the resources and talent we already have.

Traditional retail is dying and what remains will carry on at Meadowhall.

So I say accept that, develop the east end for traditional and warehouse retailing with Meadowhall anchoring that and attracting visitors from all over the region.

As for the centre, people still want to be social and get out.

This is where we look at the resources on our doorstep.

Sheffield has real talent in the art and independent scene. I feel it a lot more here than in those other two cities. 

So, make the city centre a hub for indy bars, restaurants, cafés, shops and our incredible music scene.

Celebrate our indigenous talent and make it affordable for them to trade there and showcase their talents.

Continue to develop green spaces like we have been doing.

It's an old town/new town idea, which we kind of are already. We just don't want to accept it. But we should. East end & Meadowhall as the 'New Town' for whatever future retail will be and the city centre as the 'Old Town' for social and leisure.

As I said at the start, this isn't just a one step ahead but two.

Instead of playing catch-up with Leeds and Manchester let's not play their game and start planning for what happens when traditional retail really does die off.

We can be pioneers here and get ahead of the game when the time comes where Leeds and Manchester are fighting over the last bones.

Instead, we will have planned well in advance and used our own people and talent to do it.

A pipe dream? Maybe. Probably.

But the OP did ask!

Now that's a plan. Good thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of you really don't keep up to date with the amazing developments in this wonderful city of ours.

We have a lot to be proud of.

Watch and learn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/09/2019 at 18:26, stewybill said:

The attitude some “haves” hold towards all “have nots”.

I see it more as despair on the part of those of us who were brought up to respect other people (even if you didn't actually like them) at the behaviour of those bottom feeders who clearly have no respect for anyone, their property, or their right to enjoy peace and quiet at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you only have to look at the fargate area,empty shops ,although there is a few nice ones and when you see £1 like shops selleing cheapo tee shirts for a quid,how do they pay the rates ,never mind the rent,the rest of the time its a funfair area,or log cabins,the old market areas a mess,the new markets half empty,time for a change of people in the town hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/09/2019 at 15:18, Mr. Johnson said:

What would I like to see?

I'd like to see Sheffield think not one but two steps ahead.

People can carry on the comparisons to Leeds and Manchester (who themselves want to be Mini-Londons) but it's pointless playing catch-up in that race.

We've lost. Expending energy to mimic those cities is a waste of energy.

No, we need to look forward and build on the resources and talent we already have.

Traditional retail is dying and what remains will carry on at Meadowhall.

So I say accept that, develop the east end for traditional and warehouse retailing with Meadowhall anchoring that and attracting visitors from all over the region.

As for the centre, people still want to be social and get out.

This is where we look at the resources on our doorstep.

Sheffield has real talent in the art and independent scene. I feel it a lot more here than in those other two cities. 

So, make the city centre a hub for indy bars, restaurants, cafés, shops and our incredible music scene.

Celebrate our indigenous talent and make it affordable for them to trade there and showcase their talents.

Continue to develop green spaces like we have been doing.

It's an old town/new town idea, which we kind of are already. We just don't want to accept it. But we should. East end & Meadowhall as the 'New Town' for whatever future retail will be and the city centre as the 'Old Town' for social and leisure.

As I said at the start, this isn't just a one step ahead but two.

Instead of playing catch-up with Leeds and Manchester let's not play their game and start planning for what happens when traditional retail really does die off.

We can be pioneers here and get ahead of the game when the time comes where Leeds and Manchester are fighting over the last bones.

Instead, we will have planned well in advance and used our own people and talent to do it.

A pipe dream? Maybe. Probably.

But the OP did ask!

Mr Johnson for mayor - hang on, that sounds familiar somehow... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.