What Would You Like To See Change In Our City?

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, Daven said:

Oops someone else who walks around with their eyes closed 😁

Come on then name a REAL tourist attraction in the city then. 

Anti-social behaviour makes the city centre unattractive to many people. It’s a complex problem with no easy solutions but many people will avoid the city centre due to this. Whether that is right or wrong is another matter, but it is a fact.

11 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Exhibitions at Millennium Galleries, for example, the recent Leonardo one.

On 22 August 2019 at 15:25, gene said:

Litter free streets, parks as they used to be, shopping areas etc, grass verges cut regularly, no overflowing bins and messy frontages, shops made to clean their fronts regularly,  tenants and house owners alike made to keep gardens back and front clean and tidy then maybe we would have less rats around. 

Oh dear I am daydreaming again.........

Most of these ideas that relate to council tenants are already written into their tenancy agreement but as usual the council don't enforce them especially if immigrants are involved.

23 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Why don't you tell the truth and just say you want cheaper / free parking because you basically don't want to pay?

It beggars belief that you can contend that someone paying up to £40 a ticket for the theatre is going to come more often if they don't have to pay the princely sum of £2 to park for the whole evening (as that is what it costs on all council controlled parking).

I never mentioned free parking if you read my comment correctly,

I don't mind paying, but to strangers, or first time visitors who don't know the city won't know where the £2 car parks you mention are. 

As for your free parking, even you wouldn't turn that down if it was available! 

14 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

The River Don Engine in steam

5 hours ago, pintor said:

I never mentioned free parking if you read my comment correctly,

I don't mind paying, but to strangers, or first time visitors who don't know the city won't know where the £2 car parks you mention are. 

As for your free parking, even you wouldn't turn that down if it was available! 

You said cheaper, I included "free" as it's something that gets raised quite often as a factor that would attract people to the city centre.

Council controlled parking in Sheffield is pretty cheap anyway compared to other large cities. Manchester charge £3 per hour all day every day. Leeds is similar.

The £2 for the period from 4.30 to 8.30pm (free after that) applies to all the Council's parking on and off street, so it's not that difficult to find.  Visitors who haven't been before often look up parking locations before they come and there is info on the Council website and various utilities like Parkopedia.

Guest busdriver1
7 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Exhibitions at Millennium Galleries, for example, the recent Leonardo one.

Yrs, I can see coach companies running weekend breaks for that one.

NOT

4 hours ago, WalkleyIan said:

The River Don Engine in steam

Whilst I would visit that its not really going to fill hotels is it?

13 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

NOT

Whilst I would visit that its not really going to fill hotels is it?

Nobody was expecting them to do so.   We are not a mass tourist city.    It goes back to what I said about comparisons all the time.  We are not trying to be York or Oxford or London or Edinburgh.

That doesn't mean that we don't have some tourist attractions and many other draws which bring visitors to the city.

Instead of sitting there picking fault why don't you go out and open your eyes and see what we do have.  You might be very pleasantly surprised.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Before the tourist information closed, I went in and there wasn't one item or leaflet about Sheffield,  the leaflets that were available were for : Eden Camp military museum, the Leeds Armouries, York, Chatsworth, etc,  I did ask the chap behind the desk why there was no info on Sheffield, he said the council would not pay for any leaflets or any other Information to be placed there, now all we have now is an information board inside the Winter Gardens.

8 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

NOT

Meaning that you can't see the attraction and therefore why would anyone else be interested?

As an exhibition it was a resounding success for the museum, meaning that it attracted plenty of visitors into the city.

Cliffhanger

Docfest

Off the Shelf

Edited by Bargepole23

5 hours ago, lazarus said:

Before the tourist information closed, I went in and there wasn't one item or leaflet about Sheffield,  the leaflets that were available were for : Eden Camp military museum, the Leeds Armouries, York, Chatsworth, etc,  I did ask the chap behind the desk why there was no info on Sheffield, he said the council would not pay for any leaflets or any other Information to be placed there, now all we have now is an information board inside the Winter Gardens.

Sheffield BID on Surrey st provide visitor information.