China Rose - Bawtry

DerbyTup

Not exactly "in Sheffield" but not too far away and a place, I believe, that may be well-known to those from this area that appreciate really good Chinese food.

With the ever-changing number of eateries along London Road, we were pondering where we could go and have a really top quality Chinese meal, without venturing off to Manchester as is  commonly the case for us.  I remembered the China Rose at Bawtry from years ago.  It used to be very popular back in the day and I can remember taking professional clients there, from this area, such was its reputation. 

It must be 10 years since I last ate there, so I was interested to look at a few reviews and see if it was still one of the most highly rated places within a 25 mile radius of here.  It is still getting good reviews - so our minds were made up and we paid a visit the other night.  It's a 40 minute drive to get there, but it was worth it. 

The place itself is luxurious inside, it feels really special.  And the food was excellent, every dish, from freshly caught mussels in black bean sauce, sticky barbecue ribs with loads of meat that just falls off the bone and the softest, most succulent crispy duck I think I've ever tasted.  The portions were surprisingly large too.  It's a pity that there were only two of us because this is the kind of place where you could order a selection of things and one dish would easily serve 2 people.

I really like this place.  They have kept their standards very high, unusually high tbh for this day and age.  They still operate a strict dress code and they enforce it too.  When you phone up for a table they will reiterate the dress code to you,  "smart casual - no torn jeans, no trainers, no shorts".   And on arrival at reception in the restaurant there are signs reinforcing the same.  I like that.  

If you are looking for something a bit different, or maybe for a special occasion, then it's a beautiful dining experience and well worth the trip.  

https://www.chinarose.co.uk/our-restaurant/#all/1

12 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Not exactly "in Sheffield" but not too far away and a place, I believe, that may be well-known to those from this area that appreciate really good Chinese food.

With the ever-changing number of eateries along London Road, we were pondering where we could go and have a really top quality Chinese meal, without venturing off to Manchester as is  commonly the case for us.  I remembered the China Rose at Bawtry from years ago.  It used to be very popular back in the day and I can remember taking professional clients there, from this area, such was its reputation. 

It must be 10 years since I last ate there, so I was interested to look at a few reviews and see if it was still one of the most highly rated places within a 25 mile radius of here.  It is still getting good reviews - so our minds were made up and we paid a visit the other night.  It's a 40 minute drive to get there, but it was worth it. 

The place itself is luxurious inside, it feels really special.  And the food was excellent, every dish, from freshly caught mussels in black bean sauce, sticky barbecue ribs with loads of meat that just falls off the bone and the softest, most succulent crispy duck I think I've ever tasted.  The portions were surprisingly large too.  It's a pity that there were only two of us because this is the kind of place where you could order a selection of things and one dish would easily serve 2 people.

I really like this place.  They have kept their standards very high, unusually high tbh for this day and age.  They still operate a strict dress code and they enforce it too.  When you phone up for a table they will reiterate the dress code to you,  "smart casual - no torn jeans, no trainers, no shorts".   And on arrival at reception in the restaurant there are signs reinforcing the same.  I like that.  

If you are looking for something a bit different, or maybe for a special occasion, then it's a beautiful dining experience and well worth the trip.  

https://www.chinarose.co.uk/our-restaurant/#all/1

Derby Tup, I've not been to Bawtry for several years.  I will try this on your recommendation.  It sounds lovely.

Thanks for the review/tip. Its on my list! Quality Chinese places are few and far between in this city

14 hours ago, makapaka said:

The dress code thing annoys me.

telling people how to dress.  No ta.

I imagine thats to deter local hoodlums stopping by after 15 pints around the pubs in Bawtry, and the extensive traveller community in the area (head down!) who are well known for becoming confused and forgetful after a slap up meal and forgetting to pay the bill

Guest makapaka
55 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

Thanks for the review/tip. Its on my list! Quality Chinese places are few and far between in this city

I imagine thats to deter local hoodlums stopping by after 15 pints around the pubs in Bawtry, and the extensive traveller community in the area (head down!) who are well known for becoming confused and forgetful after a slap up meal and forgetting to pay the bill

Because they assume they can't conform to a dress code? Load of rubbish.

It's not in the City either - if it was it would be less likely to have an outdated dress code.

Edited by makapaka

12 minutes ago, makapaka said:

It's not in the City either - if it was it would be less likely to have an outdated dress code.

glad to see a dress code it keeps the riff raff out, china rose is an excellent place to eat.

Guest makapaka
45 minutes ago, Borista336 said:

glad to see a dress code it keeps the riff raff out, china rose is an excellent place to eat.

So anyone conforming to a dress code is ok? Load of rubbish.

Edited by makapaka

Guest makapaka
53 minutes ago, Borista336 said:

yes it means they have respect and dignity, unlike some!

No it doesn’t - it means they have confirmed to a dress code.

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

I didn't say it was in the city. 

Plenty of places in London / other cities have dress codes. Many employers have dress codes. Maybe it is out dated but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing or serves no purpose. Anyway, we digress. The menu looks delish!