Cost Of Electrical Works

Have one bedroom flat in worthing on the south coast. A management company takes care of it as I live overseas. Have been quoted prices for some electrical upgrades/repairs. Wondering if anyone knows if the following quotes are reasonable or if anyone has had same work done

638.40 pounds to supply and fit new 18th Edition Consumer unit. Also does anyone know if this is a legal requirement.

152.76 pounds to Remove old and fit 2 ES LED warm white light fittings 

76..35 pounds to supply and renew  Boiler supply and connection cable 

Plus a few other jobs. Just feel some jobs may not be necessary  and priced on the steep side.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

39 minutes ago, PAT THE CHEF said:

Have one bedroom flat in worthing on the south coast. A management company takes care of it as I live overseas. Have been quoted prices for some electrical upgrades/repairs. Wondering if anyone knows if the following quotes are reasonable or if anyone has had same work done

638.40 pounds to supply and fit new 18th Edition Consumer unit. Also does anyone know if this is a legal requirement.

152.76 pounds to Remove old and fit 2 ES LED warm white light fittings 

76..35 pounds to supply and renew  Boiler supply and connection cable 

Plus a few other jobs. Just feel some jobs may not be necessary  and priced on the steep side.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

London prices.

I doubt that you’ll find anything cheaper.

Sounds a lot 

850 for perhaps 3 -4 hours work and 

£100 for the CU

£30 for fittings

£3 for cable

so £150-175 per hour

i do commercial and industrial electrics and cant get away with that rate

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

London prices.

I doubt that you’ll find anything cheaper.

Does sound like it.  On the plumbing side, the London firm Pimlico Plumbers publish their prices, and claim to be "middle of the road" and cheaper than British Gas.

https://www.pimlicoplumbers.com/rates

Perhaps the OP could contact one or two local electricians and get a better idea of prices, and if they are significantly cheaper, query the management company. Also, the reason that the work needs doing.

The problem with that part of the Sussex coast is that people who couldn’t afford to live in London moved to Brighton and house prices went up. Those who then couldn’t afford to live in Brighton moved to Hove and house prices in Hove went up. This has pushed people from Hove to Portslade, Portslade to Shoreham and Shoreham to Worthing and the cost of tradespeople has followed.

I know quite a few people living down there and their main complaint is that they just can’t get anyone to do anything but the easiest of jobs as there is so much demand. They will overprice a job they don’t like the look of or more commonly, don’t bother turning up to price a job at all if it sounds a ‘bit difficult’ on the phone.

I agree with carosio that the managing agents are probably sticking their bit on the top but you may end up having to go with them as their subcontractors are probably quite reliable if they manage a decent number of properties.

What consumer unit is currently in the house?  A really old knackered one?

I'm guessing the management company have a fee on top of the electricians quote.

As stated its the area and the added agents expenses.

We had a consumer unit and plus two twin sockets put in, a couple years ago here In Sheffield cost £250, I'd already bought the unit. If we were still in London I'd expect to have paid  triple that.

I remember when we moved to Sheffield getting someone from Chesterfield  in to install a new duels fuel cooker and was shocked to only pay £30, likewise having a radiator towel rail cost only £65