Prostate Cancer Experiences

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

No, because an enlarged prostate can be caused by many things, most of them not cancer.

True,  I generally get a  PSA and Digit exam, as they can feel for bumps and irregularities, I've had two this year and due a third soon,  I only scored a 1.3 on the last PSA so very low risk despite  my high Testosterone use that's been my highest level so far, however the Dr.  knows best, so I do as she asks.

9 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Good luck fella, sadly my dad died of it back in 2010, he'd had an achey back for ages thought it was from gardening, by the time he got it diagnosed it was too late. Best to get it diagnosed as early as possible.

Sorry to hear that, I think It should be mandatory for anyone 50+ to get a PSA check, then at least they'd have a baseline to start from, or if it's already high risk.

17 minutes ago, steve68 said:

True,  I generally get a  PSA and Digit exam, as they can feel for bumps and irregularities, I've had two this year and due a third soon,  I only scored a 1.3 on the last PSA so very low risk despite  my high Testosterone use that's been my highest level so far, however the Dr.  knows best, so I do as she asks.

My testosterone level was tested, but not low enough for treatment, since its level varies throughout the day, the tests seem inacurate.

What were your levels? I am interested if my diet or ammount of exercise could alter my levels.

47 minutes ago, steve68 said:

The Finger digit is a cheaper option :thumbsup:

Three times in the past month, I am hoping they have exhausted that method  :)

10 minutes ago, steve68 said:

Sorry to hear that, I think It should be mandatory for anyone 50+ to get a PSA check, then at least they'd have a baseline to start from, or if it's already high risk.

A PSA check is worthless.

You can have a high PSA and not have prostate cancer and you can have a low PSA  and still have prostate cancer. More important is family history. If you have a father, brother or grandfather with prostate cancer you are much more likely to develop it yourself and should have regular checkups after the age of 50.

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

My testosterone level was tested, but not low enough for treatment, since its level varies throughout the day, the tests seem inacurate.

What were your levels? I am interested if my diet or ammount of exercise could alter my levels.

Three times in the past month, I am hoping they have exhausted that method  :)

Mine is a medical condition I had testicular failure, Testosterone levels dropped to 2.8 then following a couple of  removals  0.8 after a dodgy start to TRT and  questionable levels of greater than 52, so high it wasn't recordable, currently I'm at 18 which my Endo concluded 15 is the low end where I function, anything in the 20s is good for me.  I know that seems high, but as she told me the levels they work from is based on an average sample of 1,000 men and some are high some are low, and for me high teens to mid twenties is ok, as it doesn't impact on my blood tests, PSA 1.3 was exceptionality low given I'd had relations with the G/F with 12hrs prior to testing and the rest of my blood work is excellent.

its crappy that doctors won't entertain TRT until testosterone levels fit neatly at, I think it's 8 or lower.

Only downside is they do test and inject a lot,  

9 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Thoughts and best wishes to anyone who is living with cancer, or the fear of it. 

I echo that sentiment. 

Edited by janie48

I’m 67 my experience not pulling punch’s.

Every man should know what your Prostrate does it is a stop tap for peeing it produces fluid for your reproductive system so after feeling tired with leg and lower back ache and a sex life that was excruciatingly painful because my Prostrate was killing me I had the finger test, which is not half as bad as people make out, after a biopsy, again not as bad as you think, I was diagnose at the Hallamshire Urology with Prostrate cancer in November 2012 opperated on in January 2013 not really given a choice on the scale of 1 good and 10 bad I was 9 they had me in as quick as that  before it spread to my Lymph glands then the rest of me, five hours in surgery, if not there was a good chance I would have been dead in five years may be less.

Down side it took six months to recover before going back to work and because they took away my Lymph glands from there I developed lymphedema, the build-up of waste fluid which the body normally gets rid of, swelling in my legs but over the years this has settled down now they just ache after walking for long periods. I went back for six weeks of Radio therapy at Weston Park just as a precaution to mop up anything missed I now have a PSA level of 0.0003 which is good and six monthly check up’s, the only really down side is they took away muscles that give you an erection or anything to get hold of when going for a pee, can be messy if you’re not quick enough  and when you need to go you need to go because the stop tap is not there and hence the sex life is practically none existent but they do have a department to help with that but what’s the worst no sex life or not being here for your family when they need you.

If your dough- full about what to do go and talk to the Macmillan nurses they are very good kind and listen and don’t be a whoose about the finger test because you think it will not happen to me.

What a sensible, thoughtful and supportive thread this has been by all.  Hopefully it has helped men who have just been diagnosed with prostrate cancer and also for anyone who suspects there is something wrong to go and get advice from a medical professional.  

No man should die of embarrassment or prostrate cancer this day and age. 

I found out about my cancer through going for an x-ray for something else, for which I am grateful for as they spotted it early and they started my treatment straight away. I am now going for my 4 monthly x-rays and all seems to be O.K. at the moment. So what Hauxwell says is very good advice for everyman.

El Cid,

I hope everything  works out ok for you.

If the results are ominous, you might want to look into immunotherapy and the it's use in the treatment of cancer.

Respect to you from Pete McEwen.

On 20/08/2019 at 20:09, El Cid said:

Today the doc took a poo sample, why I am not sure;

He didn't give you a sly wink while he slipped the sample into his briefcase did he??

If so it's probably not for medical use, and you need a new GP :gag:

On 20/08/2019 at 22:56, Top Cats Hat said:

You can have a high PSA and not have prostate cancer and you can have a low PSA  and still have prostate cancer. More important is family history. If you have a father, brother or grandfather with prostate cancer you are much more likely to develop it yourself and should have regular checkups after the age of 50.

They did the MRI scan on Wednesday but the consultant now wants to do a biopsy, although he said it still may not be cancer. But I am guessing its more likely, since I didnt get the all-clear.

He did say the biopsy would be this week, but no appointment letter yet.