Prostate Cancer Experiences

I have been going through the process of prostate cancer testing. I started off with a PSA of 5.1 which is classed as abnormal, above 3 being concidered abnormal in the UK and above 4 in the USA.

Abnormal levels under 10 are said to carry a 25% chance of having cancer, levels above 10 carry a 50% chance of cancer.

You would think there would be fail proof test for cancer.

Today the doc took a poo sample, why I am not sure; but I am having a biopsy in the near future.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paul-hargreaves5

17 minutes ago, El Cid said:

You would think there would be fail proof test for cancer.

There is.

It’s called a biopsy.

Gee thanks, we would never have thought of that one on our own. 😌

Hope the test comes back negative for you. 

I'm not medically trained, but I have read that prostate cancer is one of the more treatable cancers

13 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Hope the test comes back negative for you. 

I'm not medically trained, but I have read that prostate cancer is one of the more treatable cancers

Second biggest killer in men, but usually old men  ;)  I should be ok for a good few more years, thanks.

9 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Second biggest killer in men, but usually old men  ;)  I should be ok for a good few more years, thanks.

Your PSAs are very low and probably put you in the ‘watch and wait’ category.

Remember the majority of men with prostate cancer die of old age before they die of the cancer.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

There is.

It’s called a biopsy.

The Finger digit is a cheaper option :thumbsup:

El Cid  ,i had a biopsy 5yrs ago for prostate cancer ,its ok but undignified and unpleasant ,dont want to put you off because its the only real way to look at the prostate ,forget being embarrassed just go and have it done ,best to know if you have cancer or not. The finger digit does NOT give you the answer to the question 

Edited by leginemro
more to say

4 minutes ago, steve68 said:

The Finger digit is a cheaper option :thumbsup:

No, because an enlarged prostate can be caused by many things, most of them not cancer.

I was found to have cancer after all the tests  and opted for a radical prostectomy  which is the removal of the prostate using robots ,the operation lasted 4.5 hrs ,wish i had now opted for radiation treatment instead

5 minutes ago, leginemro said:

I was found to have cancer after all the tests  and opted for a radical prostectomy  which is the removal of the prostate using robots ,the operation lasted 4.5 hrs ,wish i had now opted for radiation treatment instead

Was it successful?

Good luck fella, sadly my dad died of it back in 2010, he'd had an achey back for ages thought it was from gardening, by the time he got it diagnosed it was too late. Best to get it diagnosed as early as possible.