Vegan Restaurants

Hi,

Im visiting a vegan restaurant soon, and looking at their menu, it seems they have meat dishes (I eat meat BTW).

Someone said the dishes described on the menu (as duck, chicken, etc) are not actually meat. Is that likely to be true? Seems quite deceptive, and possibly illegal?, if true.

Anyhow, what do you think? Here is the menu in question; does 'chicken' actually mean chicken here?

SS_Full_Main_Menu.pdf?2643

Screenshot doesn't work, why don't you just link to the restaurant's website?

1 hour ago, probedb said:

Screenshot doesn't work, why don't you just link to the restaurant's website?

Thanks.

Oddly, it seemed to work when I posted the link (on iPad). Not sure what went wrong. Anyhow....

Website is here:

https://templeof.fun/pages/eat

Menu is here:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0052/6372/0566/files/SS_Full_Main_Menu.pdf?2643

Be interested to hear what people think..

Given that it says it has a famed vegan kitchen and on the top of the menu it says made from plants my guess would be that it is fully vegan

26 minutes ago, wornout53 said:

Given that it says it has a famed vegan kitchen and on the top of the menu it says made from plants my guess would be that it is fully vegan

But it also says things like "beef patty". If it's not actually beef, isn't it breaking some law, trades description act or something?

13 hours ago, Waldo said:

Hi,

Im visiting a vegan restaurant soon, and looking at their menu, it seems they have meat dishes (I eat meat BTW).

Someone said the dishes described on the menu (as duck, chicken, etc) are not actually meat. Is that likely to be true? Seems quite deceptive, and possibly illegal?, if true.

Anyhow, what do you think? Here is the menu in question; does 'chicken' actually mean chicken here?

The screenshot worked for me. 

And I do remember when Temple of Fun opened I looked at their menu online as I had heard it was a vegan place (run by Make no Bones) and was a bit confused when it mentioned things like 'beef patty' and 'chicken burger' without anything on the menu explaining that those things aren't actually those things.. 

I suspect it may be more obvious when there in person, or maybe they want to be a bit misleading to convert a new audience who wouldn't have otherwise gone? 

Thanks Robin.

I'm not a vegan, but when visiting a vegan place I think I'd prefer to eat genuine vegan food; even rather than a meat burger, and definitely rather that a pretend meat burger!

I haven't been yet, so reserving judgment etc; but it all seems a bit pretentious somehow. Why can't they just have vegan food that's not pretending to be meat?

It is fully vegan. A friend of mine made this exact mistake one evening after a couple of drinks mistaking it for a place that sold burgers etc. The plus point was it's given us couple of laughs out of it and we now refer to him as 'the vegan' so... every cloud. 

6 hours ago, Waldo said:

Thanks Robin.

I'm not a vegan, but when visiting a vegan place I think I'd prefer to eat genuine vegan food; even rather than a meat burger, and definitely rather that a pretend meat burger!

I haven't been yet, so reserving judgment etc; but it all seems a bit pretentious somehow. Why can't they just have vegan food that's not pretending to be meat?

Because that's what they want to do, it's their business to run as they choose, just as it's your choice to go or not go. 

Does seem a bit odd that you can put something on a menu that's totally false, it obviously wouldn't be right to advertise a halloumi burger that was actually made out of chicken or tofu for example.

I'm sure I remember cases in the past of takeaways getting in to trouble for advertising lamb curries that were actually made with cheaper meat.

If I were to eat somewhere like this I'd want to know what the 'beef' etc was actually made from.

The food looks nice in the pictures anyway!

You can buy quorn 'ham' and 'chicken' 'style' slices in plenty of supermarkets

On 20/08/2019 at 21:23, Waldo said:

Thanks.

Oddly, it seemed to work when I posted the link (on iPad). Not sure what went wrong. Anyhow....

Website is here:

https://templeof.fun/pages/eat

Menu is here:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0052/6372/0566/files/SS_Full_Main_Menu.pdf?2643

Be interested to hear what people think..

I've picked loads of people up from there, and always gets good reviews. Even from meat eaters. Let us know what's it's like.