Health&safety At The Coast

I would be physically sick before I got any where near the cliff edge. How any one can peer over the edge amazes me, are they insane, YES.

Angel1.

37 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I would be physically sick before I got any where near the cliff edge. How any one can peer over the edge amazes me, are they insane, YES.

Angel1.

I thought I'd opened up the Brexit thread for a moment.

it sounds like its okay to have no  hand rails at harbour stair ways,it meets h&s code ect ,yet if we have a small event for a few thousand people we have to employ a H&s adviser for the day? the list of things is endless,seems strange ,i agree common sense is the answer,but with all we have to put up with rule wise,including cliff edges it doesnt add up

3 minutes ago, bassett one said:

it sounds like its okay to have no  hand rails at harbour stair ways,it meets h&s code ect ,yet if we have a small event for a few thousand people we have to employ a H&s adviser for the day? the list of things is endless,seems strange ,i agree common sense is the answer,but with all we have to put up with rule wise,including cliff edges it doesnt add up

I agree that the H&S brigade have gone OTT @bassett one - and blame the legal profession for much of that, they saw what their mates in the States were up to and thought 'we'll have some of that, too'.

As regards harbours &c, I think you will find that where the public officially have access, say fro harbour-side to a vessel of reasonable size, safe gangways are provided, but that is not always practical if you are boarding say, a small fishing boat, nor is that easy to fit handrails to vertical ladders.

23 hours ago, stifflersmom said:

I thought I'd opened up the Brexit thread for a moment.

No, it relates to Health & safety at the coast, as per the post title.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

try this one,you went in a shop and went upstairs as a customer and there was no hand rail on one side and the customer fell,it would be a big case,so climbing up steps from a boat ,no hand rail and falling into the sea,no differance except the water could kill you or at the best make your fall not as bad,so rules dont seem to be same ,why?

14 minutes ago, bassett one said:

try this one,you went in a shop and went upstairs as a customer and there was no hand rail on one side and the customer fell,it would be a big case,so climbing up steps from a boat ,no hand rail and falling into the sea,no differance except the water could kill you or at the best make your fall not as bad,so rules dont seem to be same ,why?

Is it because a harbour isn’t a shop?

What do I win?

1 minute ago, Pettytom said:

Is it because a harbour isn’t a shop?

What do I win?

@Pettytom a jellybaby 😀

18 minutes ago, bassett one said:

I have no handrail on the steps down into my cellar, but warn everyone unfamiliar with my house to keep to the left - if they choose to disregard this advice and fall, that is their fault, not mine.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

@Pettytom a jellybaby 😀

I have no handrail on the steps down into my cellar, but warn everyone unfamiliar with my house to keep to the left - if they choose to disregard this advice and fall, that is their fault, not mine.

If you did have a hand rail on your cellar steps, it might get in the way of carrying things up and down.  

That might also also offer a clue to the design of harbour steps.

I’ll pick the jelly baby up later.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

If you did have a hand rail on your cellar steps, it might get in the way of carrying things up and down.  

That might also also offer a clue to the design of harbour steps.

I’ll pick the jelly baby up later.

When you pick it up remember to lift with your knees and not your back.

so everyone thinks its safe to go up and down slippery steps with no hand rails on the side ,with drops that could kill someone if they fell,sounds very strange,steps up to a next floor in a shop that no hand rail on the outer edge,do you really think the public would accept that as safe?a fire escape with no hand rail?,i think people are not getting the message,is there not anyone who can say why its acceptable in 2019?

47 minutes ago, bassett one said:

so everyone thinks its safe to go up and down slippery steps with no hand rails on the side ,with drops that could kill someone if they fell,sounds very strange,steps up to a next floor in a shop that no hand rail on the outer edge,do you really think the public would accept that as safe?a fire escape with no hand rail?,i think people are not getting the message,is there not anyone who can say why its acceptable in 2019?

What you are describing (except, possibly, for the shop example which is a little extreme and unlikely) has been going on for many years and I haven't seen a load of reports of accidents in those environments.  As has been said before, use common sense and awareness and unless you are really unlucky, nothing disastrous is likely to happen.

Out of curiosity, what is/was your job?

Edited by RollingJ