Health&safety At The Coast

just noticed when at most coastal harbours ,people who go on boats and down steps ect,have you noticed there is only if lucky a hand rail one side? also a huge shear drop the other side?

also harbours many parts no rails or fencing either side,people could get injured or worse,is there no health&safety in these places or is it only inland,seems very strange,any people out there who can answer these questions as there are thousands of people at risk.thanks

A quick answer is ;don't climb the ladders, keep your children under control and don't go too close to the edge. Or is that too much like common sense?

Behave yourself around water.  Not too much to ask really is it?

Being serious for a minute, those drops can be quite frightening. Even worse, if you do fall off, there is water there to fall into.

Maybe they should cover the water with cling film, then it would be much safer if you do fall from of these appalling hazards.

Forget harbours! What about cliff edges?! Why are there no fences with handrails running the entire length of the country? Someone could slip and fall!?

I'm assuming your post was 'tongue-in-cheek' @probedb. All I can say on this subject is - why does no-one take responsibility for their own actions these days?

Common sense seems to have gone out of the window.

funnily enough where i lived when i left sheff was Staithes, there's always cliff falls, and despite the sad death of a young child recently (that made national news) and signs up, people STILL sit under the cliffs, even under the bright red warning sign, they've also been seen picnicking part way down a cliff. and when a concerned local advises them they just get a tirade of expletives.

20 hours ago, bassett one said:

just noticed when at most coastal harbours ,people who go on boats and down steps ect,have you noticed there is only if lucky a hand rail one side? also a huge shear drop the other side?

also harbours many parts no rails or fencing either side,people could get injured or worse,is there no health&safety in these places or is it only inland,seems very strange,any people out there who can answer these questions as there are thousands of people at risk.thanks

where there is a blame there is a claim???

31 minutes ago, Borista336 said:

where there is a blame there is a claim???

No blame if people use common sense, but as I said above, that flew out of the window some time ago - we now, sadly live in a 'blame culture',

On our local news (meridian) there have been videos of people standing on the edge of cliffs even though there are warnings that the cliffs are crumbling and falling into the sea.

Candidates for a Darwin award!

1 hour ago, davyboy said:

On our local news (meridian) there have been videos of people standing on the edge of cliffs even though there are warnings that the cliffs are crumbling and falling into the sea.

Some great pics of them here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7216127/Tourists-precariously-snap-selfies-nap-edge-500ft-cliff.html

2 hours ago, davyboy said:

Just spend 10 minutes on the Seven Sisters (Eastbourne) and you won't believe how stupid some people really are. I know I was born and bred in Sheffield, miles from the coast, but whenever I go near any cliffs, I work on  the principle that they could be unsafe, so never walk directly underneath them, and always a good 15-20 feet from the edge, or from any safety barriers that may be in place - common sense, but as I have said previously, that attribute appears sadly lacking in a good 50% of the population.