Bin Replacement Charges

Black bin stolen last week.

Sheffield council now charge 25 pounds for all newbins.

So a person who hypothetically could be repeatedly targeted by thieves, would be asked to repeatedly fork out 25 pounds.

Disgusting.

59 minutes ago, hello1964 said:

Black bin stolen last week.

Sheffield council now charge 25 pounds for all newbins.

So a person who hypothetically could be repeatedly targeted by thieves, would be asked to repeatedly fork out 25 pounds.

Disgusting.

Paint your house number on it.

I did, after getting fed up with my bins being repeatedly stolen. Since I did that it has not happened again.

Agree !   Ours has two splits in it, must have been caused by them slamming it into the bin lorry when it's being emptied..  I'm about to repair it with Gaffer tape .

My own (bought in 93) bin has expansion splits at the bottom 😁 I'm dreading it finally dying.

Mine has a wrong door number (it's come to three different houses) but it never goes missing, it looks too bashed up to nick.

3 hours ago, nightrider said:

Paint your house number on it.

I did, after getting fed up with my bins being repeatedly stolen. Since I did that it has not happened again.

Good point.New one arrived with the house number on it 😁

My  mothers black bin came back from the truck with the lid hanging off. A phone call to the council and was told she would have to pay the £25😆. Two days later and a new bin arrived. Never did get the bill😃. She is 96 though, don't know if this makes a difference at all.

Nothing new... they have charged for years...

When I had my blue-bin stolen a few years ago they wanted to charge me, (mine even had number painted on it)

Usually, the First replacement bin is Free, but any after is charged at £25 per time....

Edited by Ghozer

6 hours ago, Stranza said:

My own (bought in 93) bin has expansion splits at the bottom 😁 I'm dreading it finally dying.

Mine has a wrong door number (it's come to three different houses) but it never goes missing, it looks too bashed up to nick.

Mine is also  '93 vintage, and has a split on the front near the bottom. I've replaced the hinge pins several times with pieces of 1/2" dowel.

18 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Nothing new... they have charged for years...

When I had my blue-bin stolen a few years ago they wanted to charge me, (mine even had number painted on it)

Usually, the First replacement bin is Free, but any after is charged at £25 per time....

I had several replacement blue boxes and was never charged.

7 hours ago, nightrider said:

I had several replacement blue boxes and was never charged.

Box yeah, not bin....

I was told by a 'delightful' call handler that bins are provided free of charge but there was a delivery charge of £20.

Right after the council stopped people collecting from depot for free on "health & safety grounds"...... 

On 20/08/2019 at 12:07, kevvy said:

Agree !   Ours has two splits in it, must have been caused by them slamming it into the bin lorry when it's being emptied..  I'm about to repair it with Gaffer tape .

They will replace it for free if its damaged, had mine replaced for the same reason.

They only charge if lost or stolen (if it's not a direct swap for the old bin).