Tories Plan To Raise The State Pension Age To 75

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Your completely misleading thread title goes perfectly with the completely misleading news headline. 

Where exactly is this "tory plan" to raise the pension age??    Who has actually said they are implimenting such a thing?      Also, if they actually did proceed with such proposal - would that really be such a bad thing considering the average life expectancy has increased massively since the original pension age was set.    The "population" dont like a lot of things but it doesn't mean that its not good for them.

Anyway, back on topic - its completely obvious that "a think tank has proposed" does not default to automatic policy and law.   Think tanks by their very function propose lots of things all the time - doesn't mean that parliament takes notice.    As others have said, sometimes they do, sometimes they dont.    Either way such "plans" would have to get through series of endless consultations, research, studies, policy drafts, committees, discussions and votes before it becomes anywhere near to what can  be accurately described as "planning to...."

Jesus, I know the Daily Mirror is not exactly known for thier quality journalism but they are faster and faster becoming as bad the The Canary with their rediculously sensationalised and completely biased excrement disguised as "news stories". 

this think tank has proposed a lot of things that past tory governments HAVE enacted, pensions and pension age is a big one that they keep looking at, trying to lower their welfare bill.

I think this one WILL go through

13 minutes ago, melthebell said:

this think tank has proposed a lot of things that past tory governments HAVE enacted, pensions and pension age is a big one that they keep looking at, trying to lower their welfare bill.

Does anyone know who funds this think tank?

11 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

http://www.centreforsocialjustice.org.uk/support

"The CSJ is a not-for-profit organisation and we pride ourselves on our independence.

Our work involves persuading the government to change its policies and laws, and therefore we do not take any government money.

Instead, we are reliant on the contributions of individual private supporters, corporate sponsors and trusts and foundations, who share our commitment to putting social justice at the heart of British politics.

Our views and policy recommendations are based purely on our research, and we will not accept any source of funding where a funder seeks to influence these. We undertake due diligence to ensure that accepting a source of funds will not compromise our independence." 

14 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

75 year old rich folks.:D

41 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Well this one could raise their Welfare bill and NHS costs even more than the savings in pension. I was on no medications at 65 with perfect eyesight. Almost at 75 now and I am on all kinds of meds and only one eye works properly, well almost properly. Oh and my income is basically made up of pensions from both countries I have lived, worked and paid all taxes and health care premiums into.. So basically I would have to have been kept somehow this last 6 years(retired on health grounds at 69) if I hadn't been paid pensions.

Edited by Ontarian1981

49 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Presently, it is scheduled to go up to 67 in 2026 (brought forward from 2034) and up to 68 in 2044. Yes, it is a case of ever moving goalposts but to raise it to 75 is the equivalent of shifting them out to the corner flag. It will happen one day but at that rate it won't be 'til we're all dead and gone. 

There again, if we leave the EU with no deal, it might just go up to 95 on November 1.

4 hours ago, Janus said:

If a person cannot find enough to do with their time away from work, there is something wrong in my opinion.

I am limited by money when I am working 40 hours per week; if my free time was to double or treble, then my income would need to double or treble.

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I am limited by money when I am working 40 hours per week; if my free time was to double or treble, then my income would need to double or treble.

Why?

Now we're retired our expenditure is no more - and perhaps less - than when working. The big difference for us was when the mortgage was paid off and the kids left home.

11 minutes ago, El Cid said:

How can your free time double or treble if you work a forty hour week?

13 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

How can your free time double or treble if you work a forty hour week?

Easily surely? 

Someone working 40 years a week may have only 20 hours of free time at the moment. Once they've stopped working 40 hours a week they'll have 60 hours of free time. That's trebled.